'Give us something to cheer' they said....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
....'the supporters will respond' they said.

Well, in the embarrassing words of a well-known female celebrity cook from down East Anglia way,
"Where are you? Let's be 'avin' you"

OUR players in OUR team have just given tons of effort in winning 5 and drawing one of the last 6.
We've seen passion, commitment and entertaining football....everything we asked for.
The team have kept their side of the bargain, isn't it time we kept ours?

I know there's still a fair bit of despair and desperation in many people's hearts, but come on, shouldn't we be making ourselves heard more by now than we are?
It feels like we're still sulking because we've been cheated on by an unfaithful partner who we find it difficult to forgive.
There's a lethargy about our support at the moment that's almost like an attitude of, "You owe us a lot more yet before we can start believing in you again"

Well, what are we waiting for?!!

When we confirm promotion it will be too late to go back and enjoy/celebrate/recognise previous performances.
We need to wake up and see what we have going on here NOW!
Massive improvements have been made and if we are waiting until we hit 30 unbeaten or are clear at the top unable to be caught before we respond, then we are not the supporters that we used to be.

I remember the day when, if we went a goal down, the first thing we'd do is start a chant to encourage the team.
Nowadays it's more like 'here we go again'
THOSE DAYS HAVE GONE!!
We are a completely new proposition now with Chris Wilder in charge, and these players have earned the right to play in front of a passionate, noisy BDTBL.
19,000 is touted as great support.
Sorry, but getting behind the team and letting them know we are right behind them whether we are winning or losing is great support.

So come on Blades, let the shitty, horrible, frustratingly disastrous last few years piss off into history where they belong and let's get the Lane rocking again.

COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS!!

Don't slag the fans...
maxresdefault.jpg

On a serious note. I got slated on the "view from Peterborough" thread. It's quiet it really is. It's getting better but, I sit nearer to the away end than the Kop and despite what the Kopites say, the noise doesn't travel very well.. Hence the chant (again) "Is this a library".

I do wish we could sing at 0-0.

I think people struggle to get worked up and loud for games at this level, that's the issue.

On a serious note. I got slated on the "view from Peterborough" thread. It's quiet it really is. It's getting better but, I sit nearer to the away end than the Kop and despite what the Kopites say, the noise doesn't travel very well.. Hence the chant (again) "Is this a library".

I do wish we could sing at 0-0.

I sit towards that end as well mb1 and I agree, whatever noise is created on the kop, it doesn't seem to travel.
It's the same all over the ground though.

It's hard to criticise our fans generally considering what we've had to put up with in the last few years but I agree that the atmosphere really should be better than it is.

We say 'give 100%, play to win and we'll get behind you', we need to prove it. I understand it is ultimately still the third division, a bit of a footballing graveyard for us, but it should be obvious to everyone that things are changing and we're finally seeing progress, and have a team we can get behind and be encouraged by, led by a manager who's one of us and knows exactly what's required.

I think we're more than patient enough generally, as long as the performance isn't terrible, but if we improved the vocal support it would give us a real edge in those tight home games and help win us some points.

That's part of my point though HG, it takes effort to support.
We seem to have 19k of customers than supporters!

It's true and until we start playing big games in The Championship or latter stages of a cup it's not going to change.

Didn't help attacking the away end 2nd half last night. That is one of the rule changes I would make let the home side chose which way they want to kick, it's supposed to be home advantage.

It's true and until we start playing big games in The Championship or latter stages of a cup it's not going to change.

So are we the great supporters some people would have us believe HG?
In numbers, yes, I believe we are, but in creating a good atmosphere? Sadly not any more it seems.

I think the problem is we're literally bored to be in this league.

And there lies our problem. We thought we would be well shot of this division by now. We desperately want Wilder to succeed but we have had so many false dawns over the last few years you can understand the cautious attitude at this early stage. To the likes of Bristol Rovers after life in the conference this division is like a breathe of fresh air. I'm sure we will feel the same when we finally make it back to the championship

Agree. I think there are a number of factors as to why we are lacking in atmospheric effort. However, Chelsea have the most boring home support and they've done fine in the past. I think things will pick up as the team goes up through the gears. Hopefully.

Its a shame that more chants don't spread around the sides of the ground. On big nights the noise is everywhere and really makes a difference.
H block is a shadow of its former self.

Last night was the quietest it's been in a while, but I actually think the noise levels have held up relatively well given the previous years disinterested shite being served up. Not brilliant, but it could be much worse.

It's not arrogant to suggest that most away fans coming to a 32,700 capacity ground in the 3rd Division are bound to raise their game a bit, whereas for us it's a routine thing.

Of course, the atmosphere would be much better if the South Stand hadn't become so gentrified and the John Street wasn't a creche.

Sounfed pretty good in the middle of the Kop. Unfortunately I don't feel like singing when I'm nervous. Last night's performance was more edge of the seat than out of it. Playing at this level against clubs that bring limited support doesn't really challenge us to up our game vocally. Nor does the quality of the football sometimes.
I am sure if we were in the Championship playing the likes of Leeds, Derby, Barnsley, Huddersfield and the Pigs the atmosphere would be a whole lot better.

6 years in L1, nervousness when we fail to get on top of teams (I can't even remember the last time we did) and, for most games, poor away followings all contribute to the atmosphere. The away end also helps the noise levels much better than our poorly designed kop.

Our support has been fantastic all things considered and very few teams in the country would be getting our crowds if they spent 6 years in L1.

Clearly it was only cries like "Fuck off Hammond you useless twat" that used to to generate any noise at all, now they've largely stopped there's nowt left - I think it will get better, perhaps people are just a bit shocked into silence that things appear to be looking up and they don't want to jinx it - or don't quite believe it yet.

I will agree it has been quiet, I was surprised how quiet the fans have been with our recent run.
I don't believe everyone who goes needs to chant, we all support our team in different ways, I will sing the GCB song and the odd other one if a chant gets going but honestly the guys on the kop haven't really hit form this season.
It also doesn't help we have lost our creativity with songs we sing, I'm not a fan of rehashed songs from other clubs, no we are better then that!

I do think there's a case of "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" though. People tend to remember the great atmospheres in the past, e.g. L**ds in 2002, but in the 80s and 90s the atmosphere could be a bit crap at home. I remember a 0-0 draw against Burnley in 1984 when everyone was moaning about the Burnley fans outsinging us. A bloke next to me kept shouting "U-U-U!!!" and few half-hearted chants of "U-U-U!" were given in response. Of course, a second half goal at the Kop end has always got them going.

I reckon those that want the atmosphere to be better haven't tried to start one song recently. If anyone went to Scunthorpe then they'd know the Blades were in fine voice, I heard it from the home end and even Danny Webber confirmed what I was hearing on a tweet from another thread. So in short don't start criticising the fans when you're not willing to get the atmosphere going yourself. This is aimed at anyone who thinks it's right to slag the fans but then think it's wrong to slate a player when they're getting paid to perform no matter what the atmosphere is.

Away fans tend to be more lubricated on average , so they have little inhibitions about singing on the terraces .

So are we the great supporters some people would have us believe HG?
In numbers, yes, I believe we are, but in creating a good atmosphere? Sadly not any more it seems.

There hasn't been a great atmosphere for years. We may want to kid ourselves but we really aren't any different to any other fans anywhere else.

The fact 19k show up to watch third division football is the real miracle here

Back
Top Bottom