give the kids the chance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I liked the look of the side on paper today as you knew the effort would be there . Sometimes the quality will not but I can forgive that when you play the younger players , it's the way they will learn in games . Given the contract situation at the end of the season , I for one would be more than happy to persevere with what I saw today - obviously including Billy when fit and blood them for next season . They gave a decent amount of games to see whether or not they can cut the mustard . It will also give us a better chance to see who is good enough to be a part of hopefully as promotion winning side next season . (and you never know what we might achieve this season!!) But as Mr Hansen said "you never win anything with kids........" As ever UTB

cant do any harm
expectations low , they are keen , nothing to lose
give them their chance
and theres some real talent there bursting to get out

playing without fear , is just what the doctor ordered
What is the real talent that is bursting to get out? Serious question, but can you name the players?

UTB

What is the real talent that is bursting to get out? Serious question, but can you name the players?

UTB
long reed adams calvert lewin
all young learning their trade and very talented , just need games

kids need to grow , make some mistakes , then improve

long reed adams calvert lewin
all young learning their trade and very talented , just need games
Jury out on DCL. A country mile away from promotion wining standard right now. Reed - we will tread water with him. Long - at a cross road. I think he's at his level now, but fingers crossed. Adams, I can't quite make out where he'll go.

Given the rank mediocrity of the squad then there's nothing to lose, accepted. If anyone's kidding themselves that our youth will heavily contribute (rather than make up numbers) to a promotion winning team, then we are fucked.

Every team in this division will have that quality of hopeful around the first team. It's a terrible indictment of our academy right now.

UTB

never said it was the final solution , but its the appropriate opportunity to give them their head
prove they have the capability
whats been offered previous hasnt took the chance , let this have a go

weve been to 3 play offs with old head s in league one and failed
try it with fearless kids

never said it was the final solution , but its the appropriate opportunity to give them their head
prove they have the capability
whats been offered previous hasnt took the chance , let this have a go

weve been to 3 play offs with old head s in league one and failed
try it with fearless kids
Let's replace the fucking lot of them. That would be my plan.

But if it's this season you are referring to than I'd go with youth. Or a tombola for team selection. :)

very harsh , bringing young players into a side not firing isnt great
reeds 18 and your writing him off as no good , come on show some fairness
In my serious posts, I said I think Reed will be a third division player. I wouldnt write him off, but I would expect better for us.

We are all tired of waiting and we need to do better than gamble on youth, unless it appears exceptional. Reed clearly isn't. Sadly, I suspect you'll be getting your way and we'll be in the same position in a years time.

UTB

In my serious posts, I said I think Reed will be a third division player. I wouldnt write him off, but I would expect better for us.

We are all tired of waiting and we need to do better than gamble on youth, unless it appears exceptional. Reed clearly isn't. Sadly, I suspect you'll be getting your way and we'll be in the same position in a years time.

UTB

but kids like calvert lewin have been waiting for their chance , this lad will do well in my opinion , hes got the right attitude, and went out on loan and worked hard and put Northampton in a great place
Adams is getting over losing his dad , will get back to normal soon

cant do any harm
expectations low , they are keen , nothing to lose
give them their chance
and theres some real talent there bursting to get out

playing without fear , is just what the doctor ordered

Apart from Che, who's rambunctious ;-), I thought to a greater or lesser extent they did play with fear, of sorts.

Long glued to his line.

Reed skying volleys into the stands. In practice or training I think he'd do much better. He has the technique. Calm down.

DCL's touch was really poor at times. Again,.calm.down. Be confident.

He got a good hand when he went off which will help.

Not criticism, just pointing out they don't fit that picture of youthful fearlessness imo.

The whole team start with freedom and optimism, but it fades.

UTB

If we have the clear out everyone reckons we'll have in the summer then Reed and DCL will play a part in next years squad. Like you say, hopefully they'll as back up ( unless they improve dramatically!) but it would be great for them and us if they can get on the pitch in some capacity for at least ten of the remains games.

UTB!

Jury out on DCL. A country mile away from promotion wining standard right now. Reed - we will tread water with him. Long - at a cross road. I think he's at his level now, but fingers crossed. Adams, I can't quite make out where he'll go.

You may be right, but I also think you're slightly jaundiced by our years of shitness. These are players we want to be sending out to learn their game at lower league outfits. Trouble is, we are the bloody lower league outfit.

Ideally we haul them back at 21, pop them in the first team and they're not far off ready. There's nothing ideal about SUFC at the mo.

Apart from Che, who's rambunctious ;-), I thought to a greater or lesser extent they did play with fear, of sorts.

Long glued to his line.

Reed skying volleys into the stands. In practice or training I think he'd do much better. He has the technique. Calm down.

Not criticism, just pointing out they don't fit that picture of youthful fearlessness imo..

they are kids , learning the game , Adams finish was a natural poke , born out of not being scared to just dink it
Reed was up against far more experienced midfielders
Long kept another clean sheet
Calvin Lewis has learnt you need to work hard at northampton to win games ,

lets just try and see the merest of positives
just for once eh

we are without doubt the most negative fans in britain
slagging off young lads , does it get any more desperate

bet you all make fun of the apprentices at work

does anyone have any 18 year olds just starting out at work
are you hoping they get called useless no hopers
at work while training

they are kids , learning the game , Adams finish was a natural poke , born out of not being scared to just dink it
Reed was up against far more experienced midfielders
Long kept another clean sheet
Calvin Lewis has learnt you need to work hard at northampton to win games ,

lets just try and see the merest of positives
just for once eh

we are without doubt the most negative fans in britain
slagging off young lads , does it get any more desperate

bet you all make fun of the apprentices at work

does anyone have any 18 year olds just starting out at work
are you hoping they get called useless no hopers
at work while training

Oversensitive.

OP mentioned, understandably, kids playing without fear, but apart from Che (and K Wallace) they don't fit that picture.

And I'm no fun at work bc I don't like my job and the pay is pitiful.

UTMB

when I said dont play with fear Im referring to our play off final appearances where experienced pros have frozen on the day , not ones turned up
these kids might not be as terrified is my thinking

lets face it , cant be more stone like than some displays

Yes, give them a chance but it has to be an ongoing effort and part of a wider plan. It can't just be a one off here and there, it's not good for the players development as individuals and it can't be good for the team or morale in general either. You either play your best side, or you purposefully and consistently integrate a few of the most promising youngsters. We've been doing neither.

Remember the Rovrum game at Bramall Lane a couple of seasons ago? Absolutely, wholeheartedly, give the bloody kids a go!

Long glued to his line.

Not criticism, just pointing out they don't fit that picture of youthful fearlessness imo.

The whole team start with freedom and optimism, but it fades.
Your right Mr Foulkes but young players coming into a team which is nervous and edgy is not ideal but I thought the young inexperienced players coped with it very well and will have given them confidence to go on to better things.only great players make the jump from youth to first team regular (without hiccups) and there's not many of them around. But we have some real good prospects and hopefully Adkins can
bring them through,allied to experienced players as young players do need good pros around them.

Yes, give them a chance but it has to be an ongoing effort and part of a wider plan. It can't just be a one off here and there, it's not good for the players development as individuals and it can't be good for the team or morale in general either. You either play your best side, or you purposefully and consistently integrate a few of the most promising youngsters. We've been doing neither.

But on another thread you have been lambasting Louis Reed who is the sort of player we want to be integrating in to the side.

Back
Top Bottom