"Get More Players In.."

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lution Mckenzie

Reaction score
These are the words of our manager, who, after finding a winning combo last season decided they clearly were no longer good enough and opted to sign 14 new players.. Now were getting naff all in regards to good results and he wants to go out and sign more.. Obviously loans, but do we really need to be making the squad even bigger?

I think now's the time Nigel takes a good hard look at his squad and think about where it is going wrong.. After all, isn't it a head coaches job to come in, man manage the lads and train them on specific tactics? granted we can blame the players all we want, but the joy of being a manager is that the blame will almost always sit with you..

Personally I think the mans an idiot, proven so well at the beginning of the current season

These are the words of our manager, who, after finding a winning combo last season decided they clearly were no longer good enough and opted to sign 14 new players.. Now were getting naff all in regards to good results and he wants to go out and sign more.. Obviously loans, but do we really need to be making the squad even bigger?

I think now's the time Nigel takes a good hard look at his squad and think about where it is going wrong.. After all, isn't it a head coaches job to come in, man manage the lads and train them on specific tactics? granted we can blame the players all we want, but the joy of being a manager is that the blame will almost always sit with you..

Personally I think the mans an idiot, proven so well at the beginning of the current season

Ye cannae be serious laddie?

You've been drinking presumably....

First of all, Nigel didn't come to the conclusion that last years team wasn't good enough. Acquiring Brayford and Coady was out of our hands and losing Maguire was mostly down to him engineering his own move. That has all been tough on NC. Obviously today was a shock but its been 8 games. 5 or 6 of which have been tough games!

On a final note, if the man who got us from 23rd to 7th in 3 months and got us to an FA Cup semi final is an idiot then what does that make you? I'll not say what I think because it may have consequences.

most of which haven't even played this season.

Most - "the greatest quantity, amount, or degree; the utmost"

Of this extensive season so far, signed for backup and to allow the young lads out - Iain Turner hasn't been on the pitch during a first team game, neither has Sam Berry, who wasn't really signed with that immediately in mind and I'd hazard a guess you wouldn't have mentioned. Who else?

Personally I think you're a n idiot.

Your all argument seems to be based around the signing of 14 players. Let's look at that shall we?

At the end of the season certain players were released or sent back to thier respective clubs. After which a period of recruitment took place early in the close season to bolster the ranks. During this period could you point me in the direction of your vocal dissatisfaction in the business conducted? No? Hmm ok

Secondly you mention most of these players as not played, I can only think that you expected the football league to intervene on our behalf and allow all 14 players on the pitch at once, thus allowing all these players equal game time. No? Ok let's move on...

What about your opinion on Clough being an idiot. What basis do you have for that, your arguments as outlined or something more substantial that you have total and damming evidence for?

Or are you just talking out of your arse when you should instead be getting drunk and thinking about the really important things in life.

Even after today's debacle we are in a better position than this time last year. We have had a tougher start to the season than some; Brizzel haven't played any of the other top 6 and have won 3 against current bottom 4. We, on the other hand, have played 5 of top 8 and only 2 from the bottom half of the table. Get everyone fit, bring in a couple of good loan signings like last year and things may start to improve.
Remember, at the end of 2009-10 season Southampton finished seventh in League 1.

Ahahaha.. As per usual, dumbfounded with ridiculous comments.. These are my thought's, if you don't like them, MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THREAD..

Anyway, in regards to his signings that do and don't play.. We have Campbel-Ryce who plays and puts in 110% .. Other than that our other star performer is Reed, who came out the academy. Basham - Has ZERO first touch capability, one of the more basic skills a midfielder needs to possess. Higdon - Scored one thus far, looks lazy, hardly runs for ball and spits dummy out if the ball isn't hoofed up into his direction. Mcnulty - Has he taken a few 'knocks' this season, cancelling him out of the starting line up or the line up all together? Ben Davies - Somewhat ok, gets the ball into the back of the net on occasion but often crosses from way to deep and doesn't seem to like to pass it to man who over laps or puts themselves in space. Alcock - Not much to say on him, abit poor at the start of the season but now he's grown into the club alot better. I wont go naming central defenders individually as they have all proven poor thus far, slow to react and fail to close down, just step backwards in front of there man allowing them to move forward towards goal and allowing opposition players to get into decent space for the pass. Ill also not mention the goal keeper game as it would be unfair ey.

Then we move onto Nige and his tactics.. clearly were not scoring goals with one player up there so why not chuck two strikers upfront and attack games a little more?? Porter was brilliant towards the end of last season so why dont we see him anymore? He signed another contract so clearly he wants to play for the club, but is left out for the likes of Higdon, because clearly, "that makes sense."

Top and bottom of it is he gets his tactics wrong and im a huge believer in a goals a goal and all that but most games weve won by one or drawn 1-1 .. We have strikers, there's no denying that, but if they cant score alone up there why not send up a couple?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29298264

Training on Monday afternoon??! They should be in first thing Monday morning.
Clough makes ref to another set of players being successful and how he is setting us up to stop other teams playing.
Not got much faith in his players has he??

The bottom line is, we haven't had value for our money.

We haven't spent what we've received on transfers, or spent what we've needed to spend, that's where the comparison ends in regards to our transfers and other clubs transfers.

We got 2.85mill as reported for Maguire, so why not sign a solid center back, to replace what seems now like a vital part of our squad that we're missing, even if it costs a million quid? We've still made 1.85million, there are ways to make money in the football club whilst also providing enough for the first team to do reasonably well.

Dare i say this? Well I don't care, cos i'm going to, Sheffield Wednesday our close neighbors, you know them, how much money do they have, how much money have they spent?, how many signings have they made? They have a failed takeover to worry about and a man seemingly not interested in leading the club anymore and is in desperately searching for someone to buy the club (ring any bells?) and look, they're flying at the moment, 6th in the Championship and aren't shipping large amounts of goals.

Money isn't everything, you can sign free transfers, yes they cost but hardly anything in comparison from an actual transfer, and you can make a good team out of them, so how has us signing 14 players, most on a free transfer, got anything to do with the fault of our board? Clough picks the players, the board spend the wages/signing on fees.

I fail to see why any of you can sit and blame the board for our on field problems.

Where as us, SUFC, pre season favourites, not scoring anywhere near enough goals, and conceding way too many goals.

I worry for SUFC.

Ahahaha.. As per usual, dumbfounded with ridiculous comments.. These are my thought's, if you don't like them, MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THREAD..
Did you posted this diatribe for others to read or was it to make you feel better? Did you not expect other people to offer their opinion, unless they were going to gush all over with appreciation for your "insight"?

You've been drinking presumably....

First of all, Nigel didn't come to the conclusion that last years team wasn't good enough. Acquiring Brayford and Coady was out of our hands and losing Maguire was mostly down to him engineering his own move. That has all been tough on NC. Obviously today was a shock but its been 8 games. 5 or 6 of which have been tough games!

On a final note, if the man who got us from 23rd to 7th in 3 months and got us to an FA Cup semi final is an idiot then what does that make you? I'll not say what I think because it may have consequences.

Really....tough games.....in this division? I doubt it.

The bottom line is, we haven't had value for our money.

they're flying at the moment, 6th in the Championship and aren't shipping large amounts of goals.

We're a point off 5th, and were also "flying" before yesterday

Cripes can someone remind me when the sky fell in?

I think there are questions to be answered on the players in and how effective they are currently. Also questions to be answered on the actual real level of investment. I know people want to stick heads in the sand but exactly why do we keep selling good players and replacing them with lesser talents?

All that said all these questions were relevant before yesterday's game and they will be relevant after the next game. The OP was just reactionary drivel posted by someone who appears to care about nothing more than when his season ticket will arrive and that the manager is an idiot.

Granted he ain't perfect but considering where we are he is a stellar leap forward on what we had before in Weir.

What do you suggest Lution sack him and replace him with............

Over to you because you appear to have all the answers.

We're a point off 5th, and were also "flying" before yesterday

Flying? Oh you mean when we beat crawley six nil and didn't have to hold the ball in the corner for 15minutes?

Beating Rochdale 3-0 at home too.. Flying we were.

We are not scoring enough goals to be flying. Bristol city are flying. not us.

Ben Davies - Somewhat ok, gets the ball into the back of the net on occasion but often crosses from way to deep and doesn't seem to like to pass it to man who over laps or puts themselves in space.

So far our top scorer and one of the most consistent performers.

Alcock - Not much to say on him, abit poor at the start of the season but now he's grown into the club alot better.

Having watched every game he's played, I'd personally say the opposite, started off very well and has struggled a little in the last couple.

Porter was brilliant towards the end of last season so why dont we see him anymore? He signed another contract so clearly he wants to play for the club, but is left out for the likes of Higdon, because clearly, "that makes sense."

He played McNulty yesterday, leaving Higdon out "for the likes of" him, he scored, worked hard and used the ball well.

Where are all these players he's signed and not played? and why is he an idiot?

Top and bottom of it is, some people are happy watching the football we play, others are not.. Good points raised in regards to investment etc but in my own opinion I don't rate Clough.. When he was appointed and 'The Prince' gave there statements we had a 5 year plan. You tell me, were mid table come January.. are you still gonna be happy and singing the mans praises? Were a team that DO NOT belong in League 1 yet we still find ourselves sat there, plugging away each week for a goal, one goal. Ye, were in a better position league wise than last season, but jesus christ, does this mean we have to sing the clubs praises?

Ill reiterate what iv said all along, a head coaches job is to motivate his players and get them working together. That's his job, what he's paid for. Do you see this happening? 14 signings, which was so cleverly pointed out in this post, is more than a team, so with those players and our own, how do we not have a team that were tipped from Champions this season? Bristol City were tipped, and look at them..

Top and bottom of it is, some people are happy watching the football we play, others are not.. Good points raised in regards to investment etc but in my own opinion I don't rate Clough.. When he was appointed and 'The Prince' gave there statements we had a 5 year plan. You tell me, were mid table come January.. are you still gonna be happy and singing the mans praises? Were a team that DO NOT belong in League 1 yet we still find ourselves sat there, plugging away each week for a goal, one goal. Ye, were in a better position league wise than last season, but jesus christ, does this mean we have to sing the clubs praises?

I don't recall giving the impression I was overly happy or singing any praises. I was simply debating your point, that we had apparently signed loads of players, most of which hadn't played. I think they have played, and wonder which I'd apparently missed? :)

We belong in League One on merit, the sooner people realise that, the better. This "should be battering teams like X" is beginning to make us sound like certain rivals and does absolutely nothing for our current plight. We were awful yesterday, I'm not claiming otherwise and certainly wasn't happy having travelled all that way to see such an abject performance for the majority of it. Swindon Town aren't a poor side though, they are a strong side in our league, certainly at home and by no means should we have steamrollered them because they are Swindon Town.

I'd echo what DazBlade88 said in the pub last night, "I haven't seen a side in this division keep possession so well against us", yes, we certainly helped them out by failing to put up any challenge... but they weren't a crap side by a long way.

Ill reiterate what iv said all along, a head coaches job is to motivate his players and get them working together. That's his job, what he's paid for. Do you see this happening? 14 signings, which was so cleverly pointed out in this post, is more than a team, so with those players and our own, how do we not have a team that were tipped from Champions this season? Bristol City were tipped, and look at them..

I'm assuming you qualify us as "not having a team that were tipped from Champions" by us being equal 7th, 8 points behind Bristol City with a game in hand?

There is a long way to go yet this season, we haven't particularly played well for anything but small spells during games as yet, nor have we got a settled side, that doesn't mean that the season is over, or that our manager is an idiot.

Clough is not the idiot but some of the 14 signings are maybe questionable. Did it need major surgery? No, it needed 4 or 5 quality football players from this division. We are Sheffield United, we are a whale in a fish pond when it comes to club size etc, but we don't act like it.

To me this whole mess lays firmly at the door of Phipps, McCabe & Brannigan. It would have been a lot easier to swallow the free transfer signings and lack of quality if the club hadn't received £5 million through unbudgeted income. The complete lack of ambition or willingness to grab the division by the balls like Wolves did or Bristol are doing is what is pissing me off more than anything.

I'm beginning to question whether we have been duped and it's all going to implode Notts County style. For all the whooping, hollowing and gushing responses to the brown noses on Twitter, Mr Phipps actually says fuck all and the only noticeable investment so far are 3 terrible kits, the deposit on a new pitch and some new carpets and curtains for the executive suites.

I think many people will agree with that, though I don't think you'd like to know who "the man" is.

Congratulations on one of the wankest posts I've read in a while. It's all about opinions, but sometimes they are an embarrassment.

Clough could definitely have done better transfer business, on that we can agree.

UTB

So many contradictions in here its unreal.

Back
Top Bottom