George long

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
How did great play tonight?
Appears from the tweets that he did everything required of him?

It was a well taken penalty to be fair, Other than that he made 1 decent save in the second half but wasn't really tested. I thought his distribution was quite poor tho.

Steady enough, couple of good claimed crossed and a decent save.

Kicking wasn't brilliant tho.

Long had little to do really - couple of decent saves, He still doesn't command his box and tonight his distribution was poor on several occasions - again that is a recurring problem with him. I remain unconvinced that he is good enough to be our number 1 and it is worrying that the cover for him is very inexperienced.

Oh you won't have to wait Long for the usual errors;

Failure to command the area. Freezes. Uncertainty. Poor positioning. Sloppy handling. Beaten from 30 yards. Beaten on near post. Dropping catches. Shots blocked back into the danger area.

No exaggeration there. That's George Long.

Kicking is his real weakness. Can kick it a long way, but lacks direction.

Top keepers have the ability to float a pass 60 yards wide to a team mate these days, and is a useful tactic for catching sides out trying to play a high line and pressing high up.

And confidence is born from being relaxed, and not being frightened of making a mistake or its resulting consequences.

Fans and team mates play a part in this!
Slating the lad will not make him a better more confident keeper. In fact that goes for anything, not just football.

Wilder sorts out the defence.
The GK remains.

That's like hiring out the latest VHS and having a BetaMax to play it on.

Wilder sorts out the defence.
The GK remains.

That's like hiring out the latest VHS and having a BetaMax to play it on.
Last VH S manufacturer to cease production announced in last couple of days. So we are well and truly behind the times.
McCabe must have got duped on his many trops to China by someone who still makes Valve Radios over there?

Last VH S manufacturer to cease production announced in last couple of days. So we are well and truly behind the times.
McCabe must have got duped on his many trops to China by someone who still makes Valve Radios over there?

Talking of the wireless.
Was it on tonight?

Long should be back up keeper but he is going to be first choice as we don't have the money to get anyone better whilst building the outfield squad.

That is how it is and we are going to have to put up with it.

One major issue George Long needs to rectify.

Confidence. Communicate with your back four, tell them where you want them.

Tell them if it's yours.

Talk, man.

Sadly, we've been saying that for a long time now. He just isn't going to do it. He had a good season last year but I can see him being a real weakness and could end up being very costly.

Sadly, we've been saying that for a long time now. He just isn't going to do it. He had a good season last year but I can see him being a real weakness and could end up being very costly.
Did he really have a good season though ? In comparison to whats gone on before maybe ,but apart from Coventrys keeper I don't think Ive seen a worse one. Costs us a lot of points ,and Ok he might be a nice lad and local but our demise has coincided with having poor goalkeepers since Paddy.

I agree. We need to upgrade here. Sadly I think we will have to wait until Wilder sees how ordinary he is in real games. Be surprised if we do not have a new number one by Sept time.

We still need another midfielder (Morsy), another centre back and a keeper for me. Also some pace down the flanks. Frightening that Wilde has signed 7 already is it and still need 3/4 more for us even to be a playoff side I feel. Shows what a mess Clough/Adkins left us.

We need a first team keeper ,he simply isn't up to it.
I would generally agree on that Sitters, but I'm very much an on the day bloke and Long did fine by me last night. One or two dubious kicks but so so did Carson. The few crosses he had to deal with, he did so confidently.
Time will tell whether Wilder thinks he's what's required.

I don't think Long had a good season either.

My memory of last season was Long usually had little to do most games but it seemed to be a gauranteed that we'd always concede at least one goal EVERY match. At the Lane we'd tend to need 4 chances to score a goal where as the opposition only needed 2 chances to score and I've never seen the opposition score so many spectacular long range shots against us. Is this just a coincedance?

He was 6 out of 10, the only saving grace for him is that he was a better performer than some of our other players but at best he's average league 1 standard and can do a decent job, he's not that bad.

However I've said it a few times, for a team aiming for promotion then Long is not good enough but maybe this season he'll step up his standard with a better defence in front of him.

Long had little to do really - couple of decent saves, He still doesn't command his box and tonight his distribution was poor on several occasions - again that is a recurring problem with him. I remain unconvinced that he is good enough to be our number 1 and it is worrying that the cover for him is very inexperienced.
I would sell Che for a top class keeper.

I don't think Long had a good season either.

My memory of last season was Long usually had little to do most games but it seemed to be a gauranteed that we'd always concede at least one goal EVERY match. At the Lane we'd tend to need 4 chances to score a goal where as the opposition only needed 2 chances to score and I've never seen the opposition score so many spectacular long range shots against us. Is this just a coincedance?

He was 6 out of 10, the only saving grace for him is that he was a better performer than some of our other players but at best he's average league 1 standard and can do a decent job, he's not that bad.

However I've said it a few times, for a team aiming for promotion then Long is not good enough but maybe this season he'll step up his standard with a better defence in front of him.

The main reason so many spectacular goals were scored against us last season was the complete inability of our midfield to close down 25-30 yards out. Very few keepers are going to be able to claw the ball out of the top corner. We were powder-puff in the middle of the park and it cost us big time. I'm not absolving Long of the blame: he has his faults but you can't blame him if the opposition are allowed the freedom of S2 to hit shots from the edge of the area.

Long's major fault is his confidence: he seems to be an introvert so doesn't organise his defence and doesn't communicate well enough. That will hold him back.

What comes first talent or confidence?
If your confidence rises maybe your performance will but if you're shit hot in the first place then surely you're confidence will constantly be sky high.
Just get better George.

Back
Top Bottom