George Long bench warming.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Not doing him any good on the bench for Oxford, shouldn't we be finding him a new club?

10 appearances to date and hasn't established himself as first choice. How a footballers career can stall.

Still a very young lad though.

On another note, isn't this a good learning curve for him to fight for the number one spot in a team?

If he can't get a start at an indifferent league 2 club where else is he likely to get one? Despite his undoubted technical ability I still think his personality is not suited to the role. Perhaps this comes with maturity. I agree that being where he is will show how det e remained he is to succeed.

On another note, isn't this a good learning curve for him to fight for the number one spot in a team?

Thats what he was doing here. He needs to be playing and working on the art of speaking.

I blame the abomination that was Steve Simmosen for this, he was such a liability that we were forced to promote george too soon when he was clearly not ready and I reckon the struggles he then had shattered his confidence.

He may now never be anything more than a lower league or second choice keeper.

I blame the abomination that was Steve Simmosen for this, he was such a liability that we were forced to promote george too soon when he was clearly not ready and I reckon the struggles he then had shattered his confidence.

He may now never be anything more than a lower league or second choice keeper.
Eh? Simmo was many things poor, but Howard was at the club well before George was promoted to 1st team heights, so its a bit rich to lob an unfair one at Simmo.

Eh? Simmo was many things poor, but Howard was at the club well before George was promoted to 1st team heights, so its a bit rich to lob an unfair one at Simmo.
Nope, wrong, Simmo was still here when George first got a look in, was responsible for three goals in a four four draw at the Lane, forget against who it was now.

Nope, wrong, Simmo was still here when George first got a look in, was responsible for three goals in a four four draw at the Lane, forget against who it was now.
Sorry, I'll take your steer on that one then! Still a harsh blame culture though.

Sorry, I'll take your steer on that one then! Still a harsh blame culture though.

In for a penny…

When I look back at our relegation and subsequent struggles, the players I'll associate with the era are Simmo, Collins and Doyle.

Not remotely constructive, but true. :)

[QUOTE="JohnDenver, post: 665767, member: 2283]

Not remotely constructive, but true. :)[/QUOTE]
Really?

Yes entirely true. In years to come I'll look back on the teams of this crappy era and they'll be the names that spring to mind, probably because they played most often. But also because it was this threesome, as our senior men, who failed to lead us out of it.

Only Doyle has the chance to redeem himself. :)

Yes entirely true. In years to come I'll look back on the teams of this crappy era and they'll be the names that spring to mind, probably because they played most often. But also because it was this threesome, as our senior men, who failed to lead us out of it.

Only Doyle has the chance to redeem himself. :)
You personal view of course, but you could apply that scenario to lots of players in ours or any clubs history. Paul Garner played in all 4 divisions in our plummet to div 4, but I don't hold him personally responsible for that. If I could be bothered I'm sure I could spot ball others too but that doesnt make them bad players in the least.
Or have I missed your point? :)

Or have I missed your point? :)

Nope. I don't hold them solely to blame any means. But to me, certain players personify notable eras.

Deane and Agana.
Falconer and Flo.
Brown and Tonge.

Although, if you want me to be really blamey… I reckon a half decent keeper wouldn't have seen us relegated to this division. Simmo was truly dreadful. :)

From the FA youth team days, I had always been a big GL fan, and thought the lad will develop into a top keeper.
However this week I was clearing some files off the Hard drive of past Football League shows. Before they got the big double OK to kill them,
I took another look at each of our matches , each one had GL in goal.
Now in a Howard era, it was a bit of a wake up to reflect just how poor he was.

Definitely agree with others who think non league awaits him unless he gets some amazing guidance.

From a quick look at one of the Oxford United fans forums, it sounds like Long hasn't been able to handle the physical nature of League 1, which I'll take as being the command of his box. Interestingly the first question Michael Appleton got at a fans meeting the other week was on whether there had been a clause in Long's loan deal to play, which Appeton categorically denied. I'd be very surprised if he's not back with us in January.

Other things of interest: Brian Howard. Here a couple of views on him that I came across while looking for views on Long. Some things never change...

"As for Howard he has just been useless and lazy."

"Howard trotted around the pitch at Cambridge as if he owned the place. He'll be off when his short term deal runs out I would have thought. Clearly sees himself as above League Two."

Blades youngster in "not as good as we kidded ourselves he was" shocker!

How's No-Goals Joe going on?

Still, young Calum will make it if we give him a run, won't he? Won't he?.........

I'm sorry to say it but George Long will not make it above League 1 level at optimistic best.

Not commanding enough, lapses in concentration, yes I know he's young but he doesn't seem to have the raw credentials to say he'll grow into a decent keeper.

I don't know the agreements in the loan,but tell Oxford to fuck off and we'll find him a new club who will actually play our England youth international.

We - quite rightly - are not allowed to dictate to another manager (Appleton) who should or shouldn't play.

Comes with the territory of being a goalie - spend large parts of your career on the bench waiting for the encumbent to fuck up. (Although what Pantilimon needs to do to displace Mannone at Sunderland is a mystery).

We - quite rightly - are not allowed to dictate to another manager (Appleton) who should or shouldn't play.

Comes with the territory of being a goalie - spend large parts of your career on the bench waiting for the encumbent to fuck up. (Although what Pantilimon needs to do to displace Mannone at Sunderland is a mystery).

To be fair to Mannone the goals this weekened were because of complete fuck ups from the defenders.

That said Pantilimon deserves a chance.

As for George Long he does not command his box enough from corners and doesnt communicate with his defenders. So it is not a surprise he is struggling at Oxford.

Last edited:
George is, as said already by many, missing a few key traits of a successful keeper. He isn't comfortable with his ability, doesn't communicate, flaps at corners and set pieces. I remember numerous occasions when he's been caught in two minds whether to come off his line or not and it leaves him absolutely rooted, at the expense of a goal/three points. He just lacks confidence and that's compounding the problems with his game.

Howard is doing a fine job at the moment and I think we should focus our attention on bringing through a keeper who will challenge MH for the number 1 shirt 2-3 years down the line.

To be fair to Mannone the goals this weekened were because of complete fuck ups from the defenders.

Can't wholly agree, Bladesman.

Goal 1: Incredible own-goal. Couldn't have done better if the defender had been, er, paid.
Goal 2: No chance for Mannone.
Goal 3: Despite having the near post covered, Mannone practically chucked it in.
Goal 4: See Goal 3.
Goal 5: Hardly 'made himself big.' Wrong choice and left 2/3 of the goal uncovered.
Goal 6: Having committed the initial fuck up, Mannone made an effort to save that was pure 'Weetabix'.
Goal 7: Had no chance.
Goal 8: See Goal 7.

Can't wholly agree, Bladesman.

Goal 1: Incredible own-goal. Couldn't have done better if the defender had been, er, paid.
Goal 2: No chance for Mannone.
Goal 3: Despite having the near post covered, Mannone practically chucked it in.
Goal 4: See Goal 3.
Goal 5: Hardly 'made himself big.' Wrong choice and left 2/3 of the goal uncovered.
Goal 6: Having committed the initial fuck up, Mannone made an effort to save that was pure 'Weetabix'.
Goal 7: Had no chance.
Goal 8: See Goal 7.

I meant Sunderlands last match against Arsenal.

Not that Southampton game.

Back
Top Bottom