Gazza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kev Gee

Reaction score
Sad pictures of Gazza doing the rounds today on the tinterwebs.
How much longer before he sadly goes the way of George Best.

Which got me thinking. Can people remember when we were linked with buying him? I think it was around the time of Mike McDonalds arrival. Can anyone remember if there was serious interest or was it aload of paper bollox?

I know he divides opinion but for me he's the most naturally talented player England has had in my living memory ( 30 yrs ). It's heartbreaking to see a true legend end up like this, he may well have caused a lot of his own problems but his so called friends especially jimmy bloody five bellies have a lot to answer for. He was a flawed genius with the wrong people around him at the wrong time. He was a character like no other and above all just a down to earth bloke who loved the game and when he played for England you knew it meant everything to him. I sincerely hope he gets better but i fear that may never happen

Going more the way of Alex Higgins than George Best unfortunately. Was my schoolboy hero.

I know he divides opinion but for me he's the most naturally talented player England has had in my living memory ( 30 yrs ). It's heartbreaking to see a true legend end up like this, he may well have caused a lot of his own problems but his so called friends especially jimmy bloody five bellies have a lot to answer for. He was a flawed genius with the wrong people around him at the wrong time. He was a character like no other and above all just a down to earth bloke who loved the game and when he played for England you knew it meant everything to him. I sincerely hope he gets better but i fear that may never happen

I once sold Five Bellies a pizza.

Believe it or not I've actually kicked a ball around with Gazza. His friendship with Waddle took him up to Brunsmeer FC in Dore a good few years back. He was a nice bloke to be honest.

I feel sorry for him in all fairness. Another prime example of football having it's casualties! I'm no psychiatrist however trying to look at it logically footballers live, eat and sleep the sport from a very early age. They work their balls off to cut out a career within the sport and reach the top and for those in the spotlight as Gazza was the pressures must have been huge. To have 80% of your life taken away from you unexpectedly must be like grieving a close lost relative in some respects. You no longer have the thing you have given everything to and loved for so long, you find yourself with bags of free time on your hands and don't know how to fill the void yet you can't stop thinking about what you have lost. I would imagine this messes up the mind big time, you then have to find a constructive and worthwhile way to fill the void. Must be horrible.

A guy on the one hand a supremely gifted footballer on the other, a guy that had it all and pissed it up the wall.
In all honesty not a lot of sympathy , as said above had all the help in the world and a nation to lean on and receive support and he repays that like this.
Don't blame fat bellies, the blame falls squarely on gazza, if he hadn't been a pro footballer no one woulda given a toss.
A complete waste of time now he has shown he doesn't really want to stay on the wagon.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

He's an addict. ..I loved him as a footballer but as a man he's a coward. .beat his wife and can't fight his addiction. .had all the help in the world. .sadly I think he's a lost cause. .

It aint over 'till the fat lady gets tagged up with the grim reaper. Sure he brought it on himself;he cannot handle it, never could. Attending a conference, donkeys years agoI asked an Aussie ,how his country handled these situations. "Lock 'em up,throw away the key and they will dry out. or not" he said. Tough love for Paul ,or follow George?. I feel sorry for a regular guy who couldn't handle his fame and fortune. Keep hold of him. The poor sod is incapable at the moment

Which got me thinking. Can people remember when we were linked with buying him? I think it was around the time of Mike McDonalds arrival. Can anyone remember if there was serious interest or was it aload of paper bollox?

Found this article http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-rangers-cool-over-gascoigne-enquiry-1352922.html. Sad indeed to see any human being descend into the condition he now finds himself.

Last edited:

Something does ring a bell but can't remember how serious the rumour was or whether we even put in a bid. Was it before or after he went to Rangers?

If you read his autobiography he has demons that started with an incident when he was very young involving the death of a good pal of his. He blames himself. None of us should judge unless we've walked in the same shoes

As for the OP. I am sure it was with McDonald arrival and we were about to float on the Stock Exchange. News of Gazza's signing was a deliberate ploy to boost the share price. McDonald et al said that wasn't the case but I think the proof is the fact Gazza's never joined us.

Good player but like any earlier poster - not as good as TC

November 1990 we played Spurs at the Lane in the league cup and it was the finest performance I have witnessed by a footballer live at any level. Gascoigne ran the game from the first minute to the last and I just knew I had seen a genius. Put together with probably my favourite goal of all time against Scotland ,he is my favourite footballer ever (not counting Blades). Such a shame the drink has got him because his personality and ability are fantastic.

Something does ring a bell but can't remember how serious the rumour was or whether we even put in a bid. Was it before or after he went to Rangers?
Didnt think the rumour was that serious. He was with Rangers at the time and in 1997 papers were saying that Kendall enquired about him but a lady Blade fan believed the rumour and wrote to Flashing Blade saying that if we signed him, she would never come to the Lane again because he is a wife-beater

If you read his autobiography he has demons that started with an incident when he was very young involving the death of a good pal of his. He blames himself. None of us should judge unless we've walked in the same shoes

The bloke has been mentally ill since childhood. Football gave him focus, but without it he's incapable of leading a normal adult existence.

It's just incredibly sad.

Back
Top Bottom