From Two Down...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Guesty

Reaction score
Little in this life is more satisfying than seeing your side come from two down to win 3-2.

What past examples can you remember? I recall beating Preston, the much maligned Jamie Thomas scored the winner for us, I think David Healey might have got one of Preston's goals.

My favourite away trip was to Vicarage Road early on in our last promotion season. Even the stewards were a good laugh which tells you about the atmosphere. The Blades found themselves two down as Leigh Bromby in particular was bullied by Darius Henderson, who grabbed both goals (what a player he must be, right?). Jagielka got us back in it from (I think) a Kozluk cross, Ifill scored a spectacular long range equaliser with his weaker left foot before Clarke Carlisle, who had been a target for the Blades that Summer, put through his own net to seal the win.

Not a 'two nil down' scenario but speaking of Henderson, an honourable mention to his Hat Trick which sealed a 3-2 away win at Bristol City. We were two up, blew the lead very late on only to go right down the other end and snatch it. Unbelievably, their equaliser, our winner and the Full Time announcement were the three consecutive updates on the SSN news flash thingy. I've never seen anything like that.

Sadly I didn't see tonight's game, so someone else can fill in the details. One other two down turnarounds do you remember from watching United?

It brought back memories of us beating Brighton 4-2 after being dead and buried after about 70 minutes. Great weekend that was in 2003/4 I think (Darren can correct me :))

I think it was around October or November of the triple assault season - Asaba scored a couple of penalties. If memory serves correctly that was the same day Rooney scored his goal for Everton against the unbeaten Arsenal. I might've completely made up that last bit though...

The Forest game only half counts because it finished 2-2 after 90 minutes. However, it was superb so reminisce away!

The first post wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list of the ones I've seen either, just a couple of examples that sprang to mind.

Ooh, speaking of, how could I neglect my first night match?

In the Premiership, we faced West Ham on Sky. We went 2-0 very early, before a Whitehouse belter got us back into it. Gayle equalised before Paul Rogers grabbed the winner (announced as Jostein Flo at the match I think, we didn't realise the mistake until we saw the highlights on TV in the Albion). I can only have been about five years old.

I think it was around October or November of the triple assault season - Asaba scored a couple of penalties. If memory serves correctly that was the same day Rooney scored his goal for Everton against the unbeaten Arsenal. I might've completely made up that last bit though...
That was against Brighton I think.

Saturday, 19th October 2002.

You are correct about the Rooney goal.

We beat Brighton 2-4 with all our goals coming late in the second half. Asaba scored a hattrick after Brown pulled the first one back. Crazy match.

Utterly bizarre.

That disallowed fourth goal was far less of a 'foul' than the similar incident involving Simonsen against Scunthorpe in the same season. Not that either was even close to being a foul. What on earth was the referee thinking there?

Saturday, 19th October 2002.

You are correct about the Rooney goal.

We beat Brighton 2-4 with all our goals coming late in the second half. Asaba scored a hattrick after Brown pulled the first one back. Crazy match.
Blimey..I was at that match. Was it really 12 years ago where have the years gone?

Hull City 2 Shef Utd 3 half time 2 - 0 mid 70's
It was 2-1 at half time. Addo pulled a goal back in the 1st half after Ken Wagstaffe gave Hull a 2 goal lead.

We were 3 down at home to Bristol City with about 15 mins left in Sept 1970 but finished with a 3-3 draw. Woody scored our first with a lovely shot from outside the penalty box, Dearden got the 2nd with about 5 munutes left. In the last minute a cross into our penalty box was met with an overhead kick by Ted Hemsley and then an overhead kick by John Tudor and into the net!

My favourite away trip was to Vicarage Road early on in our last promotion season. Even the stewards were a good laugh which tells you about the atmosphere. The Blades found themselves two down as Leigh Bromby in particular was bullied by Darius Henderson, who grabbed both goals (what a player he must be, right?). Jagielka got us back in it from (I think) a Kozluk cross, Ifill scored a spectacular long range equaliser with his weaker left foot before Clarke Carlisle, who had been a target for the Blades that Summer, put through his own net to seal the win.

I took my ex to that game, it was the first United game i'd taken her to see, and early on in the second half i was cursing her for being bad luck. But when Clark Carlisle drunkenly put the ball into his own net, i was elated, she joined in with the "2-0 and you fucked it up" chants, and i took her home and gave her a good plating.

Took her to a few more blades games and we lost them all, though that's not the reason we split up....

A haggis van more like - he's keeping goal for Rangers.:p

Oh really i'm surprised he hasn't been sacked after that balls up he made in that cup game, was it?
Anyway... I know which van i'd rather be sweating my bollocks off in, there's a lovely burger van on the bottom of the moor.

One of my first memories of coming back from 2-0 down was in my first season: 88/89 although I couldn't remember details. I did a quick check and I see a result in the cup where we drew 3-3 and that rung a bell. The funny thing is, it was against Colchester! They must fucking hate us :D :D

Again, can Dazzler access his memory-palace please? xx

One of my first memories of coming back from 2-0 down was in my first season: 88/89 although I couldn't remember details. I did a quick check and I see a result in the cup where we drew 3-3 and that rung a bell. The funny thing is, it was against Colchester! They must fucking hate us :D :D

Again, can Dazzler access his memory-palace please? xx

We went 2-0 down and then 3-2 up via Todd, Deane and Bryson, before they equalised. We won the replay 2-0.

They were bottom of the league (and ended up in the Conference) so going 2-0 down was a bit of a shock. Colin Hill scored one of their goals.

Back
Top Bottom