Fitness and Half Time Contrasts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
i know you can never read too much into approaches of managers, what works for one, doesn't for another. We also don't know what Adkins is like at half time.

We've seen how Adkins likes to analyse data and what they use in matches and trainings with the GPS vests. But did he only use this at Old Trafford? Is he using this data in isolation 'post match'? How can he not see that his players are tiring in key positions?

I thought I'd chuck some other things as well:

- Wigan were out early and were working with the coach doing drills to get them warm again.
- SUFC came out late and the players looked mostly like they were strolling out. Sharp and I think Edgar came out and did a couple of token sprints.
- Some of Our players were cramping up, Hammond and Baxter notably.
- Three player changes - Sammon, Baxter, Basham all going off for Adams, Done and JCR. Can't comment on the latter as that was my key to leave, but the other two should've added energy. This didn't really happen.

There is clearly an issue at United and in the past, at this time in the season we've been fitter than most teams, fitness looks a massive point. We need energy on the pitch late on. We didn't get it even though we brought on three players with pace and energy

Fitness for the role- Adams looks extremely bulky, it's fine for Sammon and sharp to be bulky as they are playing a hold up role, but Adams (and Baxter) played a role requiring pace and stamina in the second half.

Player selection - Basham, unless he was carrying a knock shouldn't have gone off at the expense of Hammond. Hammond was clearly fooked and his booking proved how tired he was looking.

Heart Rates and going into recovery - Unless the players are sitting on spin bikes at halftime working in zone 1-2, doing stretches and having rub downs whilst Adkins talks tactics, the 15-20mins rest puts them into recovery mode, they need to keep their heart rates up during this time or bring them back up, Wigan were doing this with their warm up for second half.

Nutrition and hydration - whilst Baxter, Adams and Hammond are probably not on the right nutrition plans (diets) to last more than an hour, were Baxter and Hammond getting the right levels of electrolyte at half time? Seems not if they're cramping. A banana and an energy drink at half time should be enough to stave off cramp.

Second half preparation - one thing which changed at United a few years ago was seeing the cones out on the touch line prior to kick off and at half time, the players doing drills - sprints, turns, high knees - all high intensity to get blood flowing, remove the lactate from the legs and get the heart rates back up. Not sure when this stopped and why?

Subs - a few long sprints, stretches and chats with other subs, followed by a jog and sprint back to halfway, then strip down for coming on. We have 4-5 non playing staff on the bench, why are they not getting subs warmed up properly? Personally I'd have them on a spin bike on the touch line from half time getting them slowly getting their legs and bodies warmed up...

As I've said before, I'm far from an expert, but the above is very puzzling especially given that Adkins came in with the intent of getting our players fitter

I think we're a lot fitter than we were last season. But we're hamstrung to an extent by the physicality of the players.

I agree ,not just fitness but his half time team talks must be hardly inspiring. Basham looks very fit as does Sharp ,the rest less so ,although in Ches defence I think he is naturally a big shape ,his thighs are tremendous for his age and strength is an important part of his game. Baxter looks to have regained his moobs and we don't look as sharp as we should do ,but that may be a confidence issue.

You mean to say that players don't just have an orange at half time now?

I agree ,not just fitness but his half time team talks must be hardly inspiring. Basham looks very fit as does Sharp ,the rest less so ,although in Ches defence I think he is naturally a big shape ,his thighs are tremendous for his age and strength is an important part of his game. Baxter looks to have regained his moobs and we don't look as sharp as we should do ,but that may be a confidence issue.
It's a confidence issue, but it's also about preparation.

Sharp and Basham clearly look after themselves and are probably fitter than most at the club, but they shouldn't be the exception. Adkins wanted the whole squad fitter. He's not achieved this has he?

Coutts has certainly trimmed down and played a very decent role on the right yesterday, would love to see him in the middle more.

Baxter and Che should be a big concern for the coaching staff, Che especially as he is probably doing too many weights. His performances are definitely suffering from being bigger

I think we're a lot fitter than we were last season. But we're hamstrung to an extent by the physicality of the players.
It shouldn't be as big an issue as it is though, we could do much, much more with the fitness of the players we have

Remember when Tony Daley was fitness coach? We had players that looked like they'd be able to run a marathon after they'd played a hard game. Now we have the likes of Jose Baxter, who looks like he'd be out of breath putting his boots on, and would struggle running a bath after he'd had a big shit.

It shouldn't be as big an issue as it is though, we could do much, much more with the fitness of the players we have

I don't disagree. But I do think our recruitment has left us with some particularly slow players and we lack dynamism. We haven't really got more than one or two players who are capable of putting in long bursting runs. It's difficult for Adkins, we can't press because without players with any athleticism teams just run through the space. Hence we're really compact off the ball.

People used to criticise Monty. But we absolutely need a midfield destroyer who is tough as old boots and can get up and down the pitch.

Spot on Rodley you can only give what your body is capable of and we have too many players who are not natural athletes which always puts pressure on your skill s, Baxter is a classic example ,he really is struggling to cope with the demands of the modern game (can't run)he probably is in the top dozen players for ability and seeing a pass ((in the division) but his athletism let's him down,its embarrassing watching him try to run,.Jimmy Sirrel (ex manager) had a great phrase and it's truer now than ever!! If ya canna run ya canna play never been a truer phrase.I like Coutts but he maybe fall into that category also.

Any chance of another tactical masterclass Bergen Blade about how the physical limitations of the squad affect how we can play?

Keep hearing about how crap we are, we need to work out why!

Coutts played a very decent role? In what sense? I thought it was a disgraceful performance, and I rarely stretch to that sort of language.

I rate Coutts from a technical perspective but I'd rather have a less technical strong player who can perform the basics of the RW position better. Pick the ball up, run with it quickly and put a cross in.

We've too many players who can't perform the basics in their position. We need to address this.

I think at half time most opposition managers are able to tell their sides, "did you see that half? This lot are here for the taking"

Coutts played a very decent role? In what sense? I thought it was a disgraceful performance, and I rarely stretch to that sort of language.
I thought he was poor yesterday ,he seemed to be hampered from about the half hour mark ,I was very surprised he stayed on for the full game ,but Brayford was poor too ,we had a very poor shape yesterday compared to the previous weeks when we have been solid and the only change is Baxter/Woolford. We have to go back to the less expansive game again at Donny and be more in control.

This squad lacks athletes as well as footballers. Basham and Adams are probably the only 2 who meet both and Basham is a stretch, Adams inexperienced. We don't even have the ability to make the ball to the work.

And as for coutts he was the worst player on the park by miles. Lost count the amount of times they just took the ball off him. Head was not in the game and that's worrying. Did Pompey have a game yesterday as it looked like mcnulty was back for the weekend and half of them had been out on a jolly.

I thought he was poor yesterday ,he seemed to be hampered from about the half hour mark ,I was very surprised he stayed on for the full game ,but Brayford was poor too ,we had a very poor shape yesterday compared to the previous weeks when we have been solid and the only change is Baxter/Woolford. We have to go back to the less expansive game again at Donny and be more in control.

Should be Adams for woolford. Yes he's inexperienced but he is the only one who can make thinks happen. Mceverley can stay at home. It worked earlier in the season. I would also put reed in as he can pick an early pass. Yes he is young and will make mistakes but he has energy. Half tempted to stick in your mate JCR for coutts too. We need players who can get round the park rather than what looks like the Meadowhall over 35s

Any chance of another tactical masterclass Bergen Blade about how the physical limitations of the squad affect how we can play?

Keep hearing about how crap we are, we need to work out why!
Excuse me for butting in but it's purely down to vision and mindset.If you don't
see the pass you can't make it,if you don't see the space or anticipate the next
move you won't make the run beat the man or score the goal.We are not switched on and we don't think one step ahead.
I remember being a kid in the school yard playing footie,
I was the one left at the end,the dregs
that no one really wanted in their team.
This pissed me off after a while and I became super determined to prove I was as good as the other kids.Sure enough I made my way up the pecking order until
the day I got picked first,over 40 years ago now but it was a life lesson for me.
I did'nt suddenly become more talented,just applied myself,got switched on
and became first choice.
There is talent at the lane no question about it,you can not fake your way into
Professional football.
It could be partly Adkins tactics stunting any creativity or his team talks not motivating them or too much tech talk and no blood and guts war cry Basset or warnock style but the real hurdle is in the minds of the players of that I'm sure.

Remember when Tony Daley was fitness coach? We had players that looked like they'd be able to run a marathon after they'd played a hard game. Now we have the likes of Jose Baxter, who looks like he'd be out of breath putting his boots on, and would struggle running a bath after he'd had a big shit.

Not true Shoreham mate ............ I've heard Baxter loves marathons.

Baxter is nothing but a fat scouse druggie with very limited intelligence.

I fully expect to see him wash up next playing for Tranmere Rovers in the conference.

i know you can never read too much into approaches of managers, what works for one, doesn't for another. We also don't know what Adkins is like at half time.

We've seen how Adkins likes to analyse data and what they use in matches and trainings with the GPS vests. But did he only use this at Old Trafford? Is he using this data in isolation 'post match'? How can he not see that his players are tiring in key positions?

I thought I'd chuck some other things as well:

- Wigan were out early and were working with the coach doing drills to get them warm again.
- SUFC came out late and the players looked mostly like they were strolling out. Sharp and I think Edgar came out and did a couple of token sprints.
- Some of Our players were cramping up, Hammond and Baxter notably.
- Three player changes - Sammon, Baxter, Basham all going off for Adams, Done and JCR. Can't comment on the latter as that was my key to leave, but the other two should've added energy. This didn't really happen.

There is clearly an issue at United and in the past, at this time in the season we've been fitter than most teams, fitness looks a massive point. We need energy on the pitch late on. We didn't get it even though we brought on three players with pace and energy

Fitness for the role- Adams looks extremely bulky, it's fine for Sammon and sharp to be bulky as they are playing a hold up role, but Adams (and Baxter) played a role requiring pace and stamina in the second half.

Player selection - Basham, unless he was carrying a knock shouldn't have gone off at the expense of Hammond. Hammond was clearly fooked and his booking proved how tired he was looking.

Heart Rates and going into recovery - Unless the players are sitting on spin bikes at halftime working in zone 1-2, doing stretches and having rub downs whilst Adkins talks tactics, the 15-20mins rest puts them into recovery mode, they need to keep their heart rates up during this time or bring them back up, Wigan were doing this with their warm up for second half.

Nutrition and hydration - whilst Baxter, Adams and Hammond are probably not on the right nutrition plans (diets) to last more than an hour, were Baxter and Hammond getting the right levels of electrolyte at half time? Seems not if they're cramping. A banana and an energy drink at half time should be enough to stave off cramp.

Second half preparation - one thing which changed at United a few years ago was seeing the cones out on the touch line prior to kick off and at half time, the players doing drills - sprints, turns, high knees - all high intensity to get blood flowing, remove the lactate from the legs and get the heart rates back up. Not sure when this stopped and why?

Subs - a few long sprints, stretches and chats with other subs, followed by a jog and sprint back to halfway, then strip down for coming on. We have 4-5 non playing staff on the bench, why are they not getting subs warmed up properly? Personally I'd have them on a spin bike on the touch line from half time getting them slowly getting their legs and bodies warmed up...

As I've said before, I'm far from an expert, but the above is very puzzling especially given that Adkins came in with the intent of getting our players fitter

During half time there subs did a series of energetic drills in front of us. Our players were in pairs just bootin the ball to each other, reight pros, Howard goofin about.

As for coming out late we were musing that they had locked Sammon in the bog!

During half time there subs did a series of energetic drills in front of us. Our players were in pairs just bootin the ball to each other, reight pros, Howard goofin about.

As for coming out late we were musing that they had locked Sammon in the bog!
I've noticed this too , so unprofessional, long used to walk about with his hands in his pockets avoiding the sprinklers while the others tried to get above 5 at keepy up

There's really no reason, in a game like that, for players to get cramp. Given Adkins was a physio you'd expect them all to be in good knick.

1. - Wigan were out early and were working with the coach doing drills to get them warm again.
  2. - SUFC came out late and the players looked mostly like they were strolling out. Sharp and I think Edgar came out and did a couple of token sprints.
  3. - Some of Our players were cramping up, Hammond and Baxter notably.
  4. - Three player changes - Sammon, Baxter, Basham all going off for Adams, Done and JCR. Can't comment on the latter as that was my key to leave, but the other two should've added energy. This didn't really happen.

Well I'm no expert and I don't wear a GPS vest (apart from in bed) but signs like these are obvious to anybody who watches footie.

1. The last throw of a desperate manager. When a team is much-delayed in coming out for the second half it's trying to give the impression that teacups are being thrown, vital changes in personnel etc. With United, this is laughable. Wigan were warming up and - if they'd had us watched anytime in the last few years - would have known that we'd be as ineffective in the second half as we were in the first.
2. United always stroll out as if they're going through the motions. I want to see them 'starburst' out onto the field (if any of their legs are up to it).
3. Dunno about Baxter cramping up but he took a bad knock and was subbed soon afterwards.
4. JCR should be on for at least the first 60, after which the opposition will have sussed out his one and only 'trick'. Replacing Sammon with a traffic cone would add energy.

Sammon was utter garbage. Coutts put in two great crosses for him in the first half that he didn't even attempt to jump or go for the fucker, he's one of many truly embarrassing our club. Great OP Swizzler 'btw'.

Back
Top Bottom