Fifty years ago today...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
...my first ever first team game at Bramall Lane at the age of six. A crowd of 16390 saw United beat Birmingham City 3-1. Alan Birchenall got two and Mick Jones the other. I stood at the front of the Kop. My memories of the day are very vague and the clearest recollection I have is that Birmingham's goal was late on and at the Shoreham Street end. I also remember being pleased that a couple of older kids from my primary school were there and saw me as I had some vague sense it would do something for my "cred" even if I didn't know the word at the time (if indeed it existed).

I absolutely loved it and was a regular from then onwards. Within a month Woody had made his debut - I suspect Len Allchurch was the number seven on the day - and I do have clear recollections of seeing us beat Arsenal 4-0 in October, 1964, with Jones and Birchenall getting two each. In my innocence, I thought that stuffing Arsenal was pretty routine.

Here's to the next fifty years. I confidently expect us to at least match in that period the number of trophies we've won in the last fifty.

I remember when i was at Carterknowle junior school ,my dad used to take me on the Kop and everyone thought I was really brave and I must admit I played up on it. Worst thing that happened to me was a Leeds fan nicking my scarf and my 'uncle' Tony jumped down and smacked him.

...my first ever first team game at Bramall Lane at the age of six. A crowd of 16390 saw United beat Birmingham City 3-1. Alan Birchenall got two and Mick Jones the other. I stood at the front of the Kop. My memories of the day are very vague and the clearest recollection I have is that Birmingham's goal was late on and at the Shoreham Street end. I also remember being pleased that a couple of older kids from my primary school were there and saw me as I had some vague sense it would do something for my "cred" even if I didn't know the word at the time (if indeed it existed).

I absolutely loved it and was a regular from then onwards. Within a month Woody had made his debut - I suspect Len Allchurch was the number seven on the day - and I do have clear recollections of seeing us beat Arsenal 4-0 in October, 1964, with Jones and Birchenall getting two each. In my innocence, I thought that stuffing Arsenal was pretty routine.

Here's to the next fifty years. I confidently expect us to at least match in that period the number of trophies we've won in the last fifty.

I love an excuse to get a programme cover on :)

5632658241_d2c8d5c344_z.jpg

I was only ten but clearly remember the swell of the crowd when we scored the centre back half of the kop was a bit scary at times, but the heading power of our front line was awesome then, birchenall always played better after a friday night on the pop

Did somebody call :)
I reckon my first ever game was just after that. Maybe early 65.

Our team for that day was

Hodgkinson
Badger
G.Shaw
Richardson
J.Shaw
Matthewson
Docherty
Kettleborough
Jones
Bichenall
Hartle

Our team for that day was

Hodgkinson
Badger
G.Shaw
Richardson
J.Shaw
Matthewson
Docherty
Kettleborough
Jones
Bichenall
Hartle

Thanks, Silent. I was wrong about Allchurch, then. The rest of the team is as I would have expected apart from left back where I thought that Bernard Shaw had already established himself.

Thanks, Silent. I was wrong about Allchurch, then. The rest of the team is as I would have expected apart from left back where I thought that Bernard Shaw had already established himself.
Bernard played in only 3 league matches that season whilst Graham played in all of the league and FA Cup matches. In the following two seasons Graham played in only 3 league matches before being released. Bernard played in only 7 league matches in 1965-66 season (think he was injured for most of the season as I remember seeing a photo of him wearing a plaster cast on his ankle when listening to the FA Cup draw with his team mates). Ken Mallender wore the number 3 shirt for most of the 1965-66 season

Bernard played in only 3 league matches that season whilst Graham played in all of the league and FA Cup matches. In the following two seasons Graham played in only 3 league matches before being released. Bernard played in only 7 league matches in 1965-66 season (think he was injured for most of the season as I remember seeing a photo of him wearing a plaster cast on his ankle when listening to the FA Cup draw with his team mates). Ken Mallender wore the number 3 shirt for most of the 1965-66 season

You live and learn. I thought I'd only seen Graham Shaw a handful of times but he was in the team all that season.

Great post, great memories. My first time was not long after that – Easter Monday 1966, a 0-1 defeat against Blackpool a matter of weeks before the World Cup. (From memory, I think Alan Ball was playing for Blackpool and got sold to Everton soon after.) It was a night game and I can still sense the excitement of seeing the pitch for the first time under lights when we got to the top of the Kop. (My late cousin Patrick, who was a bit older and had already been to the Lane, took me on the bus from Attercliffe.)
I'm thinking of taking the little lad (see pic on the left) to his first game when I celebrate the 50th anniversary of my first game in 2016. We should be in the Championship by then, unless we do back-to-backs this season and next in which case it will be the Prem, i.e. the top division, just like in 1966.

Great post, great memories. My first time was not long after that – Easter Monday 1966, a 0-1 defeat against Blackpool a matter of weeks before the World Cup. (From memory, I think Alan Ball was playing for Blackpool and got sold to Everton soon after.) It was a night game and I can still sense the excitement of seeing the pitch for the first time under lights when we got to the top of the Kop. (My late cousin Patrick, who was a bit older and had already been to the Lane, took me on the bus from Attercliffe.)
I'm thinking of taking the little lad (see pic on the left) to his first game when I celebrate the 50th anniversary of my first game in 2016. We should be in the Championship by then, unless we do back-to-backs this season and next in which case it will be the Prem, i.e. the top division, just like in 1966.
Hope so mate,i'll settle for the Championship though,we don't want to get too greedy.Oh fuck it,Premiership it is then:D

Great opening post - "In my innocence, I thought stuffing Arsenal was pretty routine" what a great line !

ahha, such memories - and I was a bit after you. Don't know the date, but I seem to recall my first game was Derby at home, stood on the Bramall Lane End (with loads of away fans) and we won 2 nil from memory.

One distinct memory of mine, is walking along John Street (old John Street stand obviously) and the smell of liniment (or 'oss oil as it was nicknamed) that came wafting out - My presumption was that the old dressing rooms must have backed onto the path - does anyone know where they actually were?

Also - the "oss oil" - I am convinced I used to buy it from a sort of sports shop on Bramall Lane - next to the Cricketers pub - can anyone remember or shine alight on it? and for your bonus point......what it was called? Sure I also bough screw in studs when they were new to the world!!!

UTB

My first games were the season before this. Can't remember the exact order- Everton, Aston Villa, Fulham and Wolves(?). Two draws and two victories. Went to loads of reserve matches but then was allowed to start going to first team matches. Going on the Kop for the first time. What an experience. The swaying, the singing and the banners.

At school Wendy fans would brag about their superb stadium compared to ours. Look at the photo on that Brum programme. Three sides, a shed like area on Bramall Lane and they had their brand new cantilever all ready for the 1966 World Cup.

Move on to 2014. Oh the irony.

Also - the "oss oil" - I am convinced I used to buy it from a sort of sports shop on Bramall Lane - next to the Cricketers pub - can anyone remember or shine alight on it? and for your bonus point......what it was called? Sure I also bough screw in studs when they were new to the world!!!

UTB

Jack Archer's

Back
Top Bottom