Fener fan perspective

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fenerium

Reaction score
Hi all,

To explain about me, I'm English, a Norwich fan, that lived in Turkey for a bit and supported Fenerbahce ever since as a second team (I properly support from a distance though, watch all the games etc - I don't just say it and check the results).

Last night was my first Fener game and it was a mixed bag really. Missed the first 15/20mins (and subsequently the goal :( ) due to traffic chaos. Why Kick off wasn't delayed by 15mins is a bit of a mystery to me considering the queues at the ticket office even when I arrived.

Upon arriving at the ground, I told the woman in the ticket office that my tickets hadn't been posted to me and showed her the email confirmation of purchase, to which I was greeted with a very rude "Oh, and you didn't think to bother telling us?" and a look suggesting I was an idiot. Well yes, actually I did, but after sitting on the phone for 30 minutes on hold in the morning and moving 4 places up the queue to number 12, I decided it was cheaper to buy new tickets if there was a problem, than sit on hold for four hours to an 0871 number. She then noticed my Fenerbahce shirt and noticed my tickets were in the wrong end. The reason being that when I bought them on July 15th, only two stands were available for purchase and there was no mention of any designated away seating and made a big deal about changing my tickets to the away end. She had to re-print them anyway so I doubt changing them was more than 20 extra seconds hassle. Anyway, to summarise, the ticketing seemed to be utterly shambolic. Never had a problem before when watching Norwich at Bramall Lane so I'm not quite sure what went wrong to be honest but it was a joke.

I was a few rows behind the flares and I genuinely don't think the knob that threw them was aiming for the ball boy, but I can understand why some of you are fuming about it. Oppo fans threw a flare that nearly hit Volkan Demirel (our Keeper) a few months back and we were similarly outraged, and he is a full grown man. For what it's worth, the Fener fans (and players) were rightly p**sed off about it, and that guy had such a hard time from those around him that he moved seats quite a distance away shortly afterwards. Im sure you could see the players weren't happy with it, but all our fans seemed to have been tarrred with the same brush because of that one idiot, when in reality, we were booing just as loudly as you were when the flare got lobbed. He was arrested in the concourse at full time by the way, so I presume justice will take it's course one way or another but I hope that clears some of the confusion surrounding whether he got away with it or not.

Aside from the throwing of them, the flares were brilliant and really kicked the atmosphere up a notch. Fener fans were magnificent and there were quite a few who had flown in from Turkey for it. Majority were genuine Turks, and only a few Wednesdayites infiltrated (at least around me, that was the demographic). Was very disappointed with your fans. I know it's only pre-season, but when the away fans were putting so much into it, I would have expected a bit more of a response from the home crowd who seemed to be sat in absolute silence for the majority of the game. Outside the ground, nothing but good things to say about your fans, all friendly, all up for the banter without it ever having any kind of nonsense involved - top lads.

Another side note is credit to your stewards and the police. They got it just right and stopped it getting out of hand, but let the Fener fans have a good time, and they responded quickly and efficiently when the seat set on fire (which by the way was 100% accident).

The game was pretty so-so, Fener dominated first half and always looked like they could step it up a gear if they wanted to, but I thought United defended really well and you won't face quality like Fener have again this season, so I think there's lots to be optimistic about on that front. Second half was more of a contest and as Fener's first team got subbed it evened out a little bit. Thought the defending was shocking for both your goals, but the balls in were decent and they were well finished. Was never bothered about the result to be fair, but I did think it was a little bit amusing to watch the entire ground suddenly go mental like you'd won the world cup after being sat in silence for 89 minutes! Look like you have some decent players in your youth ranks, I was aware of Diego De Whateverhisblooodynameis as he's mates with an ex-colleagues son so I followed his progress a little bit for last year or so. I was specifically watching him when he came on and thought he looks like he could be a hell of a player. Not surprised that he was linked with United etc before his injury.

Think that covers all bases except one thing I was confused about, what the hell is the point of your big screen TV? It doesn't even show the score or time 85% of the time. I honestly didn't know what the score was until about 10mins before half time as my phone battery was dead and all that bloody thing does is show adverts!

Anyway, best of luck for the season, hopefully I won't be visiting Bramall Lane next year when (I hope) you come up, as Norwich will be back in the Prem, but if I do, then I'll look forward to it.

I was aware of Diego De Whateverhisblooodynameis as he's mates with an ex-colleagues son so I followed his progress a little bit for last year or so. I was specifically watching him when he came on and thought he looks like he could be a hell of a player. Not surprised that he was linked with United etc before his injury.
I don't understand how he would be 'linked' with the only club he's been at o_O

Haha I have a feeling you knew I was referring to Man Utd :)

Good to another point of view on our matches, cheers for that.

One thing, who would you think of if I referred to 'City'? ;-)

I really cannot agree more R.E: the video screen. Utterly pointless.

Hi all,

To explain about me, I'm English, a Norwich fan, that lived in Turkey for a bit and supported Fenerbahce ever since as a second team (I properly support from a distance though, watch all the games etc - I don't just say it and check the results).

Last night was my first Fener game and it was a mixed bag really. Missed the first 15/20mins (and subsequently the goal :( ) due to traffic chaos. Why Kick off wasn't delayed by 15mins is a bit of a mystery to me considering the queues at the ticket office even when I arrived.

Upon arriving at the ground, I told the woman in the ticket office that my tickets hadn't been posted to me and showed her the email confirmation of purchase, to which I was greeted with a very rude "Oh, and you didn't think to bother telling us?" and a look suggesting I was an idiot. Well yes, actually I did, but after sitting on the phone for 30 minutes on hold in the morning and moving 4 places up the queue to number 12, I decided it was cheaper to buy new tickets if there was a problem, than sit on hold for four hours to an 0871 number. She then noticed my Fenerbahce shirt and noticed my tickets were in the wrong end. The reason being that when I bought them on July 15th, only two stands were available for purchase and there was no mention of any designated away seating and made a big deal about changing my tickets to the away end. She had to re-print them anyway so I doubt changing them was more than 20 extra seconds hassle. Anyway, to summarise, the ticketing seemed to be utterly shambolic. Never had a problem before when watching Norwich at Bramall Lane so I'm not quite sure what went wrong to be honest but it was a joke.

I was a few rows behind the flares and I genuinely don't think the knob that threw them was aiming for the ball boy, but I can understand why some of you are fuming about it. Oppo fans threw a flare that nearly hit Volkan Demirel (our Keeper) a few months back and we were similarly outraged, and he is a full grown man. For what it's worth, the Fener fans (and players) were rightly p**sed off about it, and that guy had such a hard time from those around him that he moved seats quite a distance away shortly afterwards. Im sure you could see the players weren't happy with it, but all our fans seemed to have been tarrred with the same brush because of that one idiot, when in reality, we were booing just as loudly as you were when the flare got lobbed. He was arrested in the concourse at full time by the way, so I presume justice will take it's course one way or another but I hope that clears some of the confusion surrounding whether he got away with it or not.

Aside from the throwing of them, the flares were brilliant and really kicked the atmosphere up a notch. Fener fans were magnificent and there were quite a few who had flown in from Turkey for it. Majority were genuine Turks, and only a few Wednesdayites infiltrated (at least around me, that was the demographic). Was very disappointed with your fans. I know it's only pre-season, but when the away fans were putting so much into it, I would have expected a bit more of a response from the home crowd who seemed to be sat in absolute silence for the majority of the game. Outside the ground, nothing but good things to say about your fans, all friendly, all up for the banter without it ever having any kind of nonsense involved - top lads.

Another side note is credit to your stewards and the police. They got it just right and stopped it getting out of hand, but let the Fener fans have a good time, and they responded quickly and efficiently when the seat set on fire (which by the way was 100% accident).

The game was pretty so-so, Fener dominated first half and always looked like they could step it up a gear if they wanted to, but I thought United defended really well and you won't face quality like Fener have again this season, so I think there's lots to be optimistic about on that front. Second half was more of a contest and as Fener's first team got subbed it evened out a little bit. Thought the defending was shocking for both your goals, but the balls in were decent and they were well finished. Was never bothered about the result to be fair, but I did think it was a little bit amusing to watch the entire ground suddenly go mental like you'd won the world cup after being sat in silence for 89 minutes! Look like you have some decent players in your youth ranks, I was aware of Diego De Whateverhisblooodynameis as he's mates with an ex-colleagues son so I followed his progress a little bit for last year or so. I was specifically watching him when he came on and thought he looks like he could be a hell of a player. Not surprised that he was linked with United etc before his injury.

Think that covers all bases except one thing I was confused about, what the hell is the point of your big screen TV? It doesn't even show the score or time 85% of the time. I honestly didn't know what the score was until about 10mins before half time as my phone battery was dead and all that bloody thing does is show adverts!

Anyway, best of luck for the season, hopefully I won't be visiting Bramall Lane next year when (I hope) you come up, as Norwich will be back in the Prem, but if I do, then I'll look forward to it.
Knob

Hi all,

Great read, nice work.
I think we see friendlies a little different to your fans though, hence our crappy atmosphere on the day.
We might not whistle at everything and stab each other but if you want to see the lane in full voice- come to one of our local derbies next season.

It was actually a rare treat to see such excellent players as Diego Rivas and Pierre Webo at the Lane. Fener's first team look great but the reserves are a bit ropey especially in defence. On the other hand the Blades look to have a decent squad, since replacing players with substitutes didn't seem to weaken the team at all.

The attendance of 12,900 might not look much at the Lane but would actually exceed the capacity of many of the grounds in the Third Division, which indicates just how much United are slumming it at the moment. Those youngsters look like just the lads to take us back up to where we should be.

There is something wrong, something dishonest and phoney, about those clubs who suddenly find some money and begin splashing it around so I am actually pleased that Prince Moneybags is turning out not to be the sugar daddy we expected. Much better for the Blades to combine some astute signings with players we have developed ourselves. We can be as good as Fenerbahce were in the first half one day. We have the ground, we have the fans and the squad is coming along nicely. I see good times ahead.

Nothing wrong with the flares lads, No pyro no party, I wish we English could have the atmosphere of German, Turkish, Italian teams.

Agree with all points made except whoever dragged up a clip of Delia that is over a decade old. We sold out every single game in league one, home and away, have over 21k season ticket holders and sell out pretty much every game. Our away following are pretty vocal (being Derby based I get to more away fixtures than home) although poor home atmosphere seems to be pretty common in English footy these days.... Agree also about the attendance being decent considering the league you're in, We were there less than 5 years ago, so I feel your pain, but "United" ( which I now know only refers to Sheff and not Manchester ;) ) are too big a club to be there for too long and I'm sure you'll be pushing for promotion this season on the basis of what I saw last night, plenty of cause for optimism for the season.

I was most interested in seeing Diego Ribas last night, as he's the new marquee (albeit on a free) signing and we have lacked a true number 10 since Alex De Souza went back to Brazil. On the basis of his display last night, I'm very optimistic of our title chances (and humiliating the Gala scumbags) again this season. He ran the show in the first half, and looks like exactly the player we needed to complete our attacking lineup. Providing we keep hold of Moussa Sow, I think we'll be scoring plenty of goals this season.

Out of interest, I noticed some on this forum stayed for autographs etc. Did anyone notice whether Dirk Kuyt was around? As far as I know he isn't injured and he was in our starting 11 last season, so I found it a little confusing as to why he wasn't even on the bench. Could have just been being rested but I'm wondering if he might be off to new pastures.

Fenerium welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around as it's always good to have banter with other fans on here. Generally this forum is well behaved and we have some interesting non Blades related discussions.

Sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare with the ticket office - it'll be worth Linz and Foxy mentioning this when they meet with the club.

I've heard a lot of praise about the Fener fans and seems that you certainly enjoyed yourselves (flare apart). Hopefully we'll get a return fixture sometime and us blades can travel to turkey to show what our support is like :)

Out of interest, I noticed some on this forum stayed for autographs etc. Did anyone notice whether Dirk Kuyt was around? As far as I know he isn't injured and he was in our starting 11 last season, so I found it a little confusing as to why he wasn't even on the bench. Could have just been being rested but I'm wondering if he might be off to new pastures.

As I understood it, he was given permission to start preseason late due to his involvement in the World Cup.

Nice work Fenerium - good summing up.

The attendance of 12,900 might not look much at the Lane but would actually exceed the capacity of many of the grounds in the Third Division, which indicates just how much United are slumming it at the moment.

I thought that nearly 13k for a pre-season friendly was phenominal for a Thursday night and this match should have been marketed much more heavily. I'm sure Fener fans from Leeds, Manchester etc. would have turned up if they'd have been aware of the match.

I really cannot agree more R.E: the video screen. Utterly pointless.

It wouldn't be 'utterly pointless' if it was used properly. Dead pixels, occasional total blackouts etc. I've noticed at certain teams (Everton, Wet Sham etc.) their screens are showing the match live while it's in progress, so I can't understand any copyright issues if we were to show incidents such as a near miss when the ball is out of play. Also, where Sky or BT Sports have a lunchtime game which is reaching it's closing stages around 2.30, why can't this be shown on the screen? It would encourage people to take their seats earlier, be better than the Smashy n Nicey music and discourage the morons in the concourse coming to a dead stop when they see the Magic Silver Screen in the Sky and blocking everything up.

Anyway, that's the kind of pre-season friendly we need. Playing teams like Dundee don't stretch us and - if we win 4-0 - people say 'so what, it's only Dundee' and if we lose, (some) people will say 'Clough out!'

Finally, Raul Meireles. What a save from him early on. Always liked him when he was at Chelsea & Liverpool. He's 31 now. Surely we could loan him...? :)

Unnecessary to a new poster, even in jest.

Some have you seem to have forgotten that this is a forum where we advocate debating the points made, not chucking abuse at the person making them.

This forum isn't in place to meet your individual whims. It's for everyone... including fans of other clubs.

Please desist.

Apologies Linz
Unnecessary to a new poster, even in jest.

Some have you seem to have forgotten that this is a forum where we advocate debating the points made, not chucking abuse at the person making them.

This forum isn't in place to meet your individual whims. It's for everyone... including fans of other clubs.

Please desist.

Apologies Linz, the poster just came over as extremely arrogant and condescending. ..should have kept my gob shut!

Atmosphere of Italian teams! What you mean on big European matches cuz they certainly don't show up to league games!

Hi all,

Good post and welcome.

I had some good craic with several Fener fans - yes even some from Turkey ;) and it was good fun and very friendly.

I don't want flares at football - I have breathing difficulties but it isn't good even for healthy lungs to inhale such smoke.

Only a few years to wait before we have regular European football at the Lane :D - then you'll see what a rocking Bramall Lane is like for atmosphere!

Back
Top Bottom