Fee's paid to agents

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HolmesfieldBlade

Reaction score
A sports finance editor working for the associated press has posted tables from each league detailing the amounts clubs have paid to agents this season as of September 2015.

Judging by this table it appears we have spent the 3rd highest in the league or just had our pants down by agents.

image.jpg

What period? We've done a lot of business in the last year. Done, Beard, Coutts, Freeman, Sharp, Woolford; must be close to £3m.

A sports finance editor working for the associated press has posted tables from each league detailing the amounts clubs have paid to agents this season as of September 2015.

Judging by this table it appears we have spent the 3rd highest in the league or just had our pants down by agents.

View attachment 14606

Not a patch on what Wigan have paid to agents but I guess some of those fees were paid to players they have offloaded since back to back relegations.

I can imagine us having our pants down because the people who run our transfer committee seem about as much use as a working mans club committee!

But I guess we are lucky to have a football team to support.

I can imagine us having our pants down because the people who run our transfer committee seem about as much use as a working mans club committee!

But I guess we are lucky to have a football team to support.
What's lucky about it?

How have Bury paid nowt?
Bury are clearly very good at conducting transfer business.
Refuse to pay agents and insist players pay their fees out of their money.

Its all out of the same pot so to some extent it doesn't really matter who pays the agent.

As an example if a club has £100,000 (and not a penny more) to sign a player for 1 year then the player will get £95,000 for the year (£1,800 a week) and the agent will get his/her percentage say £5,000 (paid by the club).

Alternatively the club pay the player the full £100,000 (£1,900 a week) and the agent is paid £5000 by the player reducing the players weekly pay to exactly the same £1,800 as in the first example.

Both examples involve the club paying out £100,000 the agent taking £5,000 and the player getting £95,000. The only difference is that the club Bury can say we never pay agents, but as I see it this is the only difference. Obviously a player will prefer the club paying but it is swings and roundabout and does not make any difference to the overall position. Agents will prefer it as it 'appears' they are not taking any money directly from the player.

These are just round figures for the example and I have no idea if they are representative of league 1.

If clubs are indeed "businesses" as we're often told. You have to ask how it's good business to pay somebody to fuck you over at every given turn.

Gary Neville once made a good point (once). He said he never had an agent as he hated them. He did all of his business with the club through the PFA, which is what they are there for.
Far better to do it like that than with a shady bunch of parasites.

If clubs are indeed "businesses" as we're often told. You have to ask how it's good business to pay somebody to fuck you over at every given turn.

Gary Neville once made a good point (once). He said he never had an agent as he hated them. He did all of his business with the club through the PFA, which is what they are there for.

The PFA aren't going to back a young injury-prone player who looks average at L2 level when he demands a pay rise because Juventus are after him though

Gary Neville was in the fortunate position of only ever playing for Manu, he never fell out of favour and always had his contract renewed. A lot of players are not in this position in either the club they play for or talent they have. Players are good (or not) at playing football. They are not experts in contract law or posses the necessary skills to negotiate a contract. This leaves them wide open to having their pants pulled down by club chief execs etc who are experts at this and may have negotiated hundreds of contracts for the benefit of the club they represent. Step in the agent who does everything on the players behalf (for a fee of course) and represents the interests of the player (or at least should do). For an agent to earn more money, it will of course means their client earns more money.

I believe the PFA agents are of course licensed and I think although I am not sure will be remunerated by the club or player just like a private agent. Of course their are unscrupulous agents just as there are unscrupulous chairman etc.

I may of course be entirely wrong its just what I have read over the years. Oh and there aren't actually any agents at all now, they are players representatives or intermediaries. Same job same people different name. It' a UEFA thing or summatt.

Just googled it and found the FA website that has a lot of info if anyone is interested.
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/intermediaries

Last edited:
Paul Coutts agent must be Jesus Christ.

View attachment 14606

Hideous when you consider what we have got for £250k

Didn't his father act as his agent?

Criticise the Neville's if you like but I would love us to have a few players like them. 100% professional attitude on and off the pitch.
You wouldn't find them walking around a nightclub with a jumper over the shoulders sucking a fucking lollipop whilst their mates were tweeting about how shit Man U are.

So I think that covers

Adams signing
K. Wallace signing
McCarthy signing (loan)
O Grady signing (loan)
Done signing
Freeman signing
Coutts signing
Brayford signing
Holt signing (loan)
Davies signing (loan)
De Girolamo new contract
McEveley new contract
Woolford signing
Sharp signing
Sammon signing (loan)
Edgar signing (loan)
Adams new contract
K. Wallace new contract (perhaps not the latest one but I think he signed a 1 year extension in the summer having previously signed a short term deal).

That's a total of 18 deals which means agents fees are on average £13,888.89 per deal done. New contracts and loans are probably smaller fees than full transfers. I imagine Brayford and Sharp's agents will have been amongst the bigger fees.

Back
Top Bottom