Excitement reaching crescendo level...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Alfreton14Blade

Reaction score
... as the new season gets closer & closer:

Johnstone's Paint Trophy First Round draw! Live on Sky, Saturday morning at 10.15!!

We're in the North (east) section of the draw, incidentally.
(How the FUCK have we not got a bye btw, when Chessie & even YORK have?!)

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Burton-...Johnstone-s/story-27536170-detail/story.html?

In all seriousness, I'd really like us to win this damn thing (& get some silverware in, however "tinpot" it might be), just like Brizzle did in their Feelgood Season last time round. Just me?

Johnstone's Paint Trophy First Round draw! Live on Sky, Saturday morning at 10.15!!

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Burton-...Johnstone-s/story-27536170-detail/story.html?

In all seriousness, I'd really like us to win this damn thing (& get some silverware in, however "tinpot" it might be), just like Brizzle did in their Feelgood Season last time round. Just me?

Not just you mate, I'd give my right ball to see us win at Wembley with my old man before it's too late.

Hartlepool away-nailed on :eek:

Not just you mate, I'd give my right ball to see us win at Wembley

That's two of you then....

Seriously, I'm ashamed we have sunk so low that we have enter this tinpot competition. Yes it's silverware but come on, so was the County Cup.

Out of all the cups in the first round, concentrate on the league and up by Christmas!

You know it makes sense.

ISC

That's two of you then....

Seriously, I'm ashamed we have sunk so low that we have enter this tinpot competition. Yes it's silverware but come on, so was the County Cup.

Out of all the cups in the first round, concentrate on the league and up by Christmas!

You know it makes sense.

ISC

Fair enough comments but if this stint in League 1 enabled me and my dad to enjoy a victorious day out at Wembley, I would happily cherish the memory for the rest of my life and consider our league position a blessing in disguise.

Fair enough comments but if this stint in League 1 enabled me and my dad to enjoy a victorious day out at Wembley, I would happily cherish the memory for the rest of my life and consider our league position a blessing in disguise.

That's very positive of you and fair enough re your old man.

I would happily never venture to that tatty bit of North West London ever again, if I thought we could have a couple of quick promotions.

Each to his own and all that.

ISC

The JPT leaves me cold and empty like a stale old marriage. I feel nothing for it. Much as I'd also like to see us win a final at Wembley and pick up a trophy, I'd also be fine with us exiting in the first round to Mansfield.

Bristol may have proved that it's possible to do a cup run and win promotion, but that's not going to happen every season and I don't believe we currently have the same squad depth as they did. Let someone who cares win the paint tin and let's keep our eyes on the prize we're all desperate for.

Personally, I hope we get knocked out the first round and concentrate on what's important to the club this season and not have to cope with more games, more yellow and potentially red cards and possibly more injuries

And to add to that, the same applies to the League Cup and FA Cup

Nothing imo and I mean nothing, should distract from what is the only target this coming season and that is promotion

5 years in this division is just too long!

Not just you mate, I'd give my right ball to see us win at Wembley with my old man before it's too late.
In the playoff final against Huddersfield it started to sink in that I might see us win at wembley with my old man. I'd had some beers but the excitement and the expectation had me an emotional wreck. Just as the penalties started he put his arm around my shoulder and said "we're going to do this"...
And that's why I hate united just as much as I love um

In the playoff final against Huddersfield it started to sink in that I might see us win at wembley with my old man. I'd had some beers but the excitement and the expectation had me an emotional wreck. Just as the penalties started he put his arm around my shoulder and said "we're going to do this"...
And that's why I hate united just as much as I love um
you do know the law of averages means we will win one one day
ask preston

I'd be quite happy if SUFC simply declared they weren't bothering with it too but ...

IIRC, Adkins took it serious at Southampton. I think they won it?

I'd like to win this so long as we go up, a bit like Bristol last year. I can't imagine people being too fussed if we are in a similar predicament to last season but if we're top or 2nd and in the final against a lesser side then it might be a bit of a party! :)

I'd be quite happy if SUFC simply declared they weren't bothering with it too but ...

IIRC, Adkins took it serious at Southampton. I think they won it?

That was under Pardew, a few months before he was sacked. I was there for it in the Carlisle end with a Carlisle fan. A thrashing.

I wouldn't mind a tilt at the JPT, with the proviso that we toss off the other cups. It's the only chance at cup silverware we have really.

I'm discounting the playoffs. I don't see why you should get a trophy for being 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th at the end of the season.

When we first played in the JPT I said it would be the most embarrassing "trophy" in our history. I still think the same and don't wish to feed all the pig fans with that sort of ammunition. For crying out loud we take the piss out of them for winning the fizzy pop cup.

My excitement will reach a crescendo when we have signed two big, evil, dominant CHs and we get the nod from Nigel that "Wallace is ready to be unleashed on an unsuspecting L1" !! :rolleyes:
UTB & FTP

When we first played in the JPT I said it would be the most embarrassing "trophy" in our history. I still think the same and don't wish to feed all the pig fans with that sort of ammunition. For crying out loud we take the piss out of them for winning the fizzy pop cup.

Agree with this but I don't think we'd go on and on and on about it if we were to win the JPT. It's the constant bleating on they do about past glories that winds people up into the Fizzy Pop Cup comebacks when actually, in 1991, it was an accomplishment for them as a Division 2 side. I bet Luton Town fans aren't banging on and on and on about winning it a couple of years before though. I don't mind us winning it but I wouldn't proclaim it as some kind of life-changing experience, winning the Play Off Cup at Wembley would be a hell of a lot more satisfying if it ever happened.

Also, if any of them laughed at us for winning it, we could remind them of the night they were so desperate to win it when they faced Blackpool in the Northern Final. In the second leg, a win from Wembley, over 25,000 turned out at the Sty so clearly it's not as "tinpot" as they like to make it out to be.

Fair enough but to me it's no greater a trophy to win than the County Cup used to be (which Wendy at one point paid money to be left out of). If clubs were allowed to field a team of fringe players/academy players it would be great this season for us, but I don't want first team/squad players getting injured/booked/sent off.

When we were relegated, I thought it would be an embarrassment to win – a reminder of our lower-league status. That view was blasted out of my mind as Simonsen stepped up to take that final penalty.

I will now frankly take any Wembley victory – we need to rid ourselves of this record of failure and misery at this stadium that has permeated the club. And if it takes winning a trophy nearly nobody cares about, so be it. It'll serve the club as a whole the next time we're at Wembley when it really matters to have a memory of the place that isn't something that immediately provokes rage/tears/spontaneous-adoption-of-the-recovery-position.

Let's win it. Because after this season it'll hopefully be the last chance to.

Fuck the jpt and the league, give me FA cup and league cup final wins and I'll be happy. We can win league one next year when we sack this manager.

Fuck the jpt and the league, give me FA cup and league cup final wins and I'll be happy. We can win league one next year when we sack this manager.
We won't sack a manager that isn't shite. History is on our side here.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom