Excitement or Dissapointment?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lampiao

Old Git
Reaction score
So we made it to the play-offs.
From reading the post on here and elsewhere I get there are two camps - those who seem to believe we will get promotion through the play-offs and that Nigel Clough is the best manager we've had for some time, and is taking the club forward, and has struggled with injuries and some unlucky circumstances. This group seem genuinely excited at the prospect of the next weeks offerings from the red and white.
Alternatively there are those who believe that Nigel Clough ranks only a tad above David Wier/Bryan Robson in their managerial affections. That he has failed in providing a team that should have sailed through the league to automatic promotion given the resources he had at his disposal, and that we are entering the play-offs with a snowflakes chance.
Where do I stand, difficult to say. I firmly believed, like many, that when we kicked off against Bristol last August that this season we would dominate this division. Up to Christmas I thought we were still in with a good chance of catching the top two, and that everything would be put right in the January transfer window.
I think we spent too much time in August chasing unobtainable targets (Coady, Brayford, O'Grady), eventually capturing Brayford in January for far too much money. We failed to sort out the well documented defensive problem and have also struggled to find any consistency from a goal scoring forward.
Since January in my view apart from a couple of performances we have struggled at home to show that we are anything but average in this division - of the top 6 teams in division we have the worst home record . The team has struggled to find any fluency in the attacking third, and is prone to losing goals from set pieces headed in by tall opposition players. On the obverse our away record is excellent, and we have performed well in the games against "better" opposition.

The chances are that we will be playing this division again next season. I'd love for us to go up but my expectations keep getting knocked back as this season as progressed. If we are still in League One next season with Nigel Clough in charge I would hope that he rethinks his view on how to play this league. Certainly we need a bit more height and strength at the back, and a system of play that is more positive in the final third.

But let's hope that we kick off next season playing Burnley and not Burton!

Up to Christmas I thought we were still in with a good chance of catching the top two

So we made it to the play-offs.
From reading the post on here and elsewhere I get there are two camps - those who seem to believe we will get promotion through the play-offs and that Nigel Clough is the best manager we've had for some time, and is taking the club forward, and has struggled with injuries and some unlucky circumstances. This group seem genuinely excited at the prospect of the next weeks offerings from the red and white.
Alternatively there are those who believe that Nigel Clough ranks only a tad above David Wier/Bryan Robson in their managerial affections. That he has failed in providing a team that should have sailed through the league to automatic promotion given the resources he had at his disposal, and that we are entering the play-offs with a snowflakes chance.
Where do I stand, difficult to say. I firmly believed, like many, that when we kicked off against Bristol last August that this season we would dominate this division. Up to Christmas I thought we were still in with a good chance of catching the top two, and that everything would be put right in the January transfer window.
I think we spent too much time in August chasing unobtainable targets (Coady, Brayford, O'Grady), eventually capturing Brayford in January for far too much money. We failed to sort out the well documented defensive problem and have also struggled to find any consistency from a goal scoring forward.
Since January in my view apart from a couple of performances we have struggled at home to show that we are anything but average in this division - of the top 6 teams in division we have the worst home record . The team has struggled to find any fluency in the attacking third, and is prone to losing goals from set pieces headed in by tall opposition players. On the obverse our away record is excellent, and we have performed well in the games against "better" opposition.

The chances are that we will be playing this division again next season. I'd love for us to go up but my expectations keep getting knocked back as this season as progressed. If we are still in League One next season with Nigel Clough in charge I would hope that he rethinks his view on how to play this league. Certainly we need a bit more height and strength at the back, and a system of play that is more positive in the final third.

But let's hope that we kick off next season playing Burnley and not Burton!

Up to Christmas I thought we were still in with a good chance of catching the top two

Excitement or disappointment - neither.

Expectation and realisation with a bit of optimism chucked in for good measure.

UTB

I'm disappointed but I can't believe the overreaction from some who just want to once more change manager. The OP sums the season up for me. With our play off record you just can't get too excited by another set of games where we normally find a new way of perishing every time.

Saturday morning I decided to have a flutter on yesterday's game. I hovered between a draw and away win. I didn't even bother checking the odds for a Blades win.

It's not that I think he's a terrible manager, it's just that I think he lacks the killer instinct, and that has led to the season petering out. I have no confidence in our ability to safely navigate the play offs, and only hold an outside hope that we can perform like we did in the cup competitions.

I honestly believe there are three better teams than us in the play-offs. Two of them finished higher than us and the other has finished the season in good form and were way better than us yesterday.

In the past we have often been beaten by lesser sides who even played worse than us on the day. So why shouldn't we win through?

Whatever happens we are a rag bag squad of under achievers who show no evidence of ever having played together before. Promotion will not paper over the cracks and everybody realises that surely.

I'm a realistic pessimist I'm afraid. Having been there since the palace defeat I genuinely have no confidence in our ability to show up on the day. I think we'll lose to Swindon at home and draw away.

and that has led to the season petering out

I agree, having sat in the PO positions for so long, how long ago since we realistically challange for auto's, or realistically drop out of the PO position (I know it became a possibility, but then we smashed the Dingles), it does feel like it has petered out. But the crux of the matter is whether NC light a fire under them. I am excited at the prospect, it's the next match that matters in football.

I'm a lot more excited than if we were marooned in mid-table with nothing to play for (and yes, I'm including Wendy in the Championship). These early-summer games have become a staple of our season - with perhaps yet another trip to Wembley thrown in. We'll remember the next 2 or 3 games for years to come, unlike most who played this weekend.

I am not excited by our prospects of going up, however. Yesterday we were outplayed. Yes, we played with a weakened team (but it's hard to say how weakened as 'certain' players seem to get more than their share of 'knocks'.) We're nowhere near ready for the Championship. Wolves 'bossed' our league last season and have just failed to go straight through to the PL. That will stand them in good stead for a renewed charge next season. Bristol and MKD however - who have proved to be miles better than the rest all season - will probably struggle next season.

Finally, NC. The list of charges against him is long and damning but I can't see any value in starting all over again. The events of the weekend showed that there are plenty of truly abysmal managers out there - Carver, McLaren (Van Gaal?) - so a change would prove possibly disastrous.

Roll on Thursday!

I honestly believe there are three better teams than us in the play-offs. Two of them finished higher than us and the other has finished the season in good form and were way better than us yesterday.

Chesterfield were the better side yesterday, no doubt, but that was their full strength side. Ours played as it was, a team who hadn't played as a unit together. Whether Clough expected Cook to rest a few players I'm not sure, but to get a draw with that side which clearly wasn't good enough was a decent result.

Those rested now have to come in and deliver, and despite plenty of evidence to the contrary there is also evidence that they can. We should be a much better side with Murphy, Basham, Coutts, Davies and (hopefully) Done, and they have the ability to edge what will I'm sure be a very close tie with Swindon.

What has been this season is past. Just got to get behind them now and hope they finally get us out of this division. I may be a rare breed of optimistic Blade, but I think the play off situation will suit us well.

Chesterfield were the better side yesterday, no doubt, but that was their full strength side. Ours played as it was, a team who hadn't played as a unit together. Whether Clough expected Cook to rest a few players I'm not sure, but to get a draw with that side which clearly wasn't good enough was a decent result.

Those rested now have to come in and deliver, and despite plenty of evidence to the contrary there is also evidence that they can. We should be a much better side with Murphy, Basham, Coutts, Davies and (hopefully) Done, and they have the ability to edge what will I'm sure be a very close tie with Swindon.

What has been this season is past. Just got to get behind them now and hope they finally get us out of this division. I may be a rare breed of optimistic Blade, but I think the play off situation will suit us well.

Agree , but the players on the team sheet , are then classed as a weakened , not a full strength side , why have such a big squad , if the players brought in , are not equal or better on the day , than the ones they replace.

My view , you have a squad which helps your tactics , are interchangeable , without affecting the teams overall performance . We have enough players for Clough to get all this right in the play offs , and as you say , play as a unit , who are aware and know each other,

Chesterfield can play football , but it now comes down to preparation and mental strength .

We cannot have " Strangers in the Night " , Frank Sinatra scenario on Thursday against Swindon.

Players have to play and fans have to support , so i am sure we will get in right .

Home win , away draw against Swindon IMO.

UTB

I'm disappointed but I can't believe the overreaction from some who just want to once more change manager. The OP sums the season up for me. With our play off record you just can't get too excited by another set of games where we normally find a new way of perishing every time.

We should sack Clough now. Get a new manager in for play offs. Win promotion then sack him and get Clough back.

What's Warnock doing?

imagine the sheer excitement preston fans are going through on making the play offs

we should really see this from different perspectives

we could have done what theyve gone through , got 89 points and still be in with as much chance as chesterfield on 69 points

imagine the sheer excitement preston fans are going through on making the play offs

we should really see this from different perspectives

we could have done what theyve gone through , got 89 points and still be in with as much chance as chesterfield on 69 points
I think this is also why I find it so hard to get excited about the playoffs. I don't consider it sporting to give the fifth-placed team promotion based on a mini cup. It makes a mockery of the league structure.

In the past we have often been beaten by lesser sides who even played worse than us on the day. So why shouldn't we win through?

Whatever happens we are a rag bag squad of under achievers who show no evidence of ever having played together before. Promotion will not paper over the cracks and everybody realises that surely.

^^^^^^^That^^^^^^^^

If all the managers in this league had been given the same money and resources that NN has been given they would have all put together a structured team with defenders, midfielders and attackers in necessary amounts.

His biggest failure has been to do the basics and leave us a legacy for next season of an unbalanced squad (no doubt overpaid), under achieving set of square pegs to fit round holes to tackle next seasons champagne whatever division we are in.

Think the plays offs help keep the league interesting as before they were introduced hose from 4th down season was over after march , but the current system gives a team like chesterfield on 69 the same footing as preston who got 30% more points , the play offs dont reflect that .. Thats why I think it should be a 1 game semi with 3rd and 4th getting home advantage ,some reward for placings and no penalties , if its a draw highest placing takes you through , putting the onus on the away team to come up with a win

^^^^^^^That^^^^^^^^

If all the managers in this league had been given the same money and resources that NN has been given they would have all put together a structured team with defenders, midfielders and attackers in necessary amounts.

His biggest failure has been to do the basics and leave us a legacy for next season of an unbalanced squad (no doubt overpaid), under achieving set of square pegs to fit round holes to tackle next seasons champagne whatever division we are in.
All teams have cracks that want papering over, preston did a united at colchester snatching a play ff spot from certain automatic
players get away with murder at times , once they are on the grass its always been up to them , if our players can reach the heights of beating villa fulham saints forest charlton why oh why cant they run rings round yeovil and dont say its cloughs tactics , its players commitments and attitudes

For some reason they turned up at Oakwell and played to instructions , all they need to do is follow the instructions in 3 games like that

Always try not to be excited about something,because the more you get excited,the more you become disappointed.

For once I just hope the footballing gods are on our side.

In reality I think this group of players probably don't have the mental strength to get us up.

I predict a laboured home draw followed by an away win and a boring 1-0 loss in the final to PNE.

I hope I'm proven wrong but performances this season. Would suggest otherwise.

Can't say either really. Would rather be in the play offs than not as it gives us a chance to rescue what has been a disappointing season. Not particularly worried about the semi final. I hope we win but have no great expectation that we will. My biggest fear is if we do win is the thought of yet another journey back up the M1 after ye t another non performance and defeat at Wembley. Still hope we do get it right for once but like a lot of supporters history has knocked any optimism out of me.

players will decide it , if we play like we can , we are as good as any team in it

if we play as we have too often , with out the commitment we wont simples

but we need to believe we can first , the players that is, or it wont happen

What happens in the second leg at Swindon if all square after 90 mins? ET? Pens? Away goals count double?

Same rules as the League Cup so if it's all square after 90 mins at Swindon, it goes to extra time regardless of away goals, but then at the end of extra time away goals do count, which I think is unfair, however the Blades have twice benefited from this rule v Ipswich in 1997 and Forest in 2003 (although of course we then stuffed it up in the final both times!).

I have no confidence in our ability to navigate the play-offs due to our past record and the fact that I don't think this team are physically or mentally strong enough. Even if we did get past Swindon, I think we are more than capable of losing to Preston or Chesterfield in the final. Having said that I just hope we can replicate some of our cup form as this is another knockout competition. I just want the team to put in a performance so that win or lose, we can say they did their best (like the Hull semi). What I can't stand is when we 'don't turn up' like Palace in 97, Wolves in 2003 and Huddersfield in 2012.

Unfortunately I think 'performances' have been too few and far between this season, especially at home. In the league, I can only think of Scunny, Preston and Swindon, although we could have been 3 down against Swindon before we started playing.

^^^^^^^That^^^^^^^^

Tackling champagne? The only champagneBaxter, Howard et al will be tackling is in fancy restaurants, not in celebration of United's achievements.
You mean campaign I think..ooh and I can't wait to se Nigel's merry band entertaining us again.Yippee.

Same rules as the League Cup so if it's all square after 90 mins at Swindon, it goes to extra time regardless of away goals, but then at the end of extra time away goals do count, which I think is unfair, however the Blades have twice benefited from this rule v Ipswich in 1997 and Forest in 2003 (although of course we then stuffed it up in the final both times!).

I have no confidence in our ability to navigate the play-offs due to our past record and the fact that I don't think this team are physically or mentally strong enough. Even if we did get past Swindon, I think we are more than capable of losing to Preston or Chesterfield in the final. Having said that I just hope we can replicate some of our cup form as this is another knockout competition. I just want the team to put in a performance so that win or lose, we can say they did their best (like the Hull semi). What I can't stand is when we 'don't turn up' like Palace in 97, Wolves in 2003 and Huddersfield in 2012.

Unfortunately I think 'performances' have been too few and far between this season, especially at home. In the league, I can only think of Scunny, Preston and Swindon, although we could have been 3 down against Swindon before we started playing.

Away goals don't count double anymore and haven't for a good few years.

We beat Forest 5 4 over two legs.

Back
Top Bottom