End Of Season Awards: The Results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I suppose the only way is up for Higgs :)
Personally I think he will make a difference if we play to his strengths.
Onwards and upwards blades.

Unfortunately for the player , Club , Clough , Fans , it just has not worked out for Higdon . Also unfortunately for Clough , at this level you are exposed more to failure / player not hitting it off , due to less money around ,to cover any mistakes . Thats why scouting / player recruitment has to be cock on.

Top teams like Chelski can sign 40 players , loan the majority out , and if they don't make it , or come up to scratch - no big deal.

The Clough brothers , hopefully will win on all fronts next season.

UTB

2nd Worst signing of the season, yet some see Coutts on here as the 2nd coming of a 20 year old Paul Gascoigne with a good pre-season. You just can't argue with the stats in every result there.

Fantastic stuf by Roygbiv. One of the best posters on any Blades board and one of the few regular but sane posters over on Bladesmad!

Wow a triple Crown there for Higdon of "Worst Signing" "Most Disapointing Player" and "Worst Player". That is quite an achievement especially as he was up against some pretty stiff competition in those categories this season.

He could also have easily completed a Grand Slam with "Worst single performance from a player" for his laughable 40 minutes against Swindon in the home League game

Last edited:
I would have liked to have seen how the voting went in a 'Worst Manager' catagory.

Just saying like...
I'd have liked to have seen how the voting went in a 'Best Manager' category? Just saying like ;)

2nd Worst signing of the season, yet some see Coutts on here as the 2nd coming of a 20 year old Paul Gascoigne with a good pre-season. You just can't argue with the stats in every result there.

Ok, I'll bite. These aren't stats, but the opinions of (some) fans. Coutts has been playing with us for less than half the season. I would argue he has unreasonably shouldered a lot of flak from the fans for the disappointing 2nd half of the season - he is a 'Derby reject' and clearly a favourite of Clough's, and many fans will have turned on him for these reasons alone. I have seen enough to suggest that he will be a good player for us next season. Please don't turn this into any '2nd coming of Gascoigne' nonsense, just saying how I see it. Having Coutts as our 2nd worst player is laughable. Paddy McCarthy? Iain Turner? Both performed worse when we needed them, in my opinion. 2nd worst signing? At least he played, what about James Wallace, Andy Butler? As 'signings' these were a far bigger failure.

Note Basham as 'most improved player'. This happened after a good 3-4 months of his being pretty average at best, clueless at worst. Then something clicked. Let's afford Coutts the same opportunity, at least.

Ok, I'll bite. These aren't stats, but the opinions of (some) fans. Coutts has been playing with us for less than half the season. I would argue he has unreasonably shouldered a lot of flak from the fans for the disappointing 2nd half of the season - he is a 'Derby reject' and clearly a favourite of Clough's, and many fans will have turned on him for these reasons alone. I have seen enough to suggest that he will be a good player for us next season. Please don't turn this into any '2nd coming of Gascoigne' nonsense, just saying how I see it. Having Coutts as our 2nd worst player is laughable. Paddy McCarthy? Iain Turner? Both performed worse when we needed them, in my opinion. 2nd worst signing? At least he played, what about James Wallace, Andy Butler? As 'signings' these were a far bigger failure.

Note Basham as 'most improved player'. This happened after a good 3-4 months of his being pretty average at best, clueless at worst. Then something clicked. Let's afford Coutts the same opportunity, at least.

Ok let me bite back. This issue people had with Basham was generally the position he was playing, which was the most forward player in the midfield 3 even though he didn't know what runs to make or what to do when he got there. ok, yes he got a goal against Swindon. He was a much better player when his role in the midfield changed or played at the back which people rightly recognised.

The fans on multiple different forums voted Coutts as the 2nd worst player. We are not talking a handful of fans I imagine but I guess these stats are wrong? To say it's laughable is a slur on people's votes just because you don't agree. It wouldn't be so bad that he wasn't playing well, however I would say he is paying the penalty because he was never being subbed when having a bad game. He's had quite a few months to get match fit, however let's give him a pre-season to see if he can consistently pass to his own player. I hope he does, because we already have a few changes to make this summer.

Must admit though, you do make a case for some more dire Clough signings I had tried to forget about. Can we really trust him to get it right looking at the bag of spanners he brought in this season.

Wow a triple Crown there for Higdon of "Worst Signing" "Most Disapointing Player" and "Worst Player". That is quite an achievement especially as he was up against some pretty stiff competition in those categories this season.

He could also have easily completed a Grand Slam with "Worst single performance from a player" for his laughable 40 minutes against Swindon in the home League game

Probably our new captain with the Beard injured.

"I would argue he has unreasonably shouldered a lot of flak from the fans for the disappointing 2nd half of the season - he is a 'Derby reject' and clearly a favourite of Clough's, and many fans will have turned on him for these reasons alone."

Think most fans turned on him due to the amount of poor performances in a United shirt.

Irrespective of the views on Coutts, there has been far worse players played for us this season who Clough has signed and i seriously can't believe people can't see this.

In no particular order, they are: K. Wallace, I. Turner, P. McCarthy, J Wallace and A. Butler, the last two due to lack of playing time through one thing or another.

Now i know people have different views but i'd have thought the mini list above were obviously weaker signings than that of Coutts.

Back
Top Bottom