End of an Era today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
I'm going down to the Lane, going to the match with LS26BLADE and sitting on the kop as we have done for many years, in roughly the same area, at full time we are both going round to the Ticket Office, and renewing for next season, however after spending a lifetime on the kop, we will both be renewing for the South Stand next season.

End of an era.

Went on the South On Tuesday and it was a much better view plus you can get a beer and not get wet through.

It is a wrench ,I spent my youth on the kop and a few seasons in the seats when 13 of us got seats together ,but as some drifted apart and we built the new JSS ,I picked a seat on there roughly where I stood with my Dad when we beat Cardiff 5-1 in 1971. I have been in that seat ever since ,only been back on the kop twice and have no regrets at all.

It is really heart warming to read some of these posts regarding seats you have had for years and the times you have spent with family members, fantastic memories that you will keep with you for the rest of your lives, some no so Good but memories none the less. It would be good to hear more of who inspired you to follow the blades and who took you to your first match at BL.

I actually dragged my dad to his first ever United game. 4-4 against Birmingham, we were late and just taking our seats as Paul Furlong scored right in front of us on the Kop. I think Dane Whitehouse scored what looked like a glorious goal from a tight angle in front of BL stand but never seen the footage since. Wasn't long before he got us season tickets.

I actually dragged my dad to his first ever United game. 4-4 against Birmingham, we were late and just taking our seats as Paul Furlong scored right in front of us on the Kop. I think Dane Whitehouse scored what looked like a glorious goal from a tight angle in front of BL stand but never seen the footage since. Wasn't long before he got us season tickets.

96/97 season, my first season too.

96/97 season, my first season too.
I'd been going since the Bassett years but always had to latch onto any mates that we're going, so I missed the majority of games in the years up until then.

I went the other way, my first season ticket was on the south,then I moved to the kop as I got older/poorer.

It'll be about my 40th season on the kop next year. I make the occasional South stand trip for cup games and always regret it. :)

UTB

I seem to have settled at the back of the kop in recent years apart from when my grandson joins me then its somewhere else. I've read on here that the BL Upper tier.corner isn't a bad view, don't know. I like the nostalgic feel it gives me climbing the steps onto the Shoreham and at the back at half time. Had a season ticket during our one season in the Prem in the Arnold Laver stand and no one spoke to me for the whole season ! Stuff that, much better sense of camaraderie on the kop. Some industrial language at times but no racist, sexist or homophobic comments, apart from the silly "Shoreham Boys we are here ........" chant

I'm going down to the Lane, going to the match with LS26BLADE and sitting on the kop as we have done for many years, in roughly the same area, at full time we are both going round to the Ticket Office, and renewing for next season, however after spending a lifetime on the kop, we will both be renewing for the South Stand next season.

End of an era.

I shall be doing the same Mr Brown. I'll be in the South Stand next season, had enough of the Kop to be honest.

Had season tickets on all parts of the ground, first one BL upper in 81-82 (after 5 years in the EDS pen, and the season before that on the terrace). Had STs on the old standing Kop, seated Kop, John Street east terrace, new JSS, BL lower and South Stand. For me best stand would be South Stand, best view BL upper and best atmosphere on the Kop. Would only ever consider getting a season ticket on the Kop if it went back to proper standing, or if they ripped it down and put proper seats in ie with leg room.

I didn't end up going after the match and renewing, but will be going down next Thursday and doing the deed. Although after witnessing that abysmal performance i wonder why i bother.

I'm actually looking forwards to the transition. The Kop has been good to me, loved my time on there, been going on there since it was first built, but now I'm looking forwards to the better view, extra legroom from the South Stand. In a sad way it is like entering middle age though.

I cant see the appeal of the kop. 45 minutes of not knowing what the fuck is going on.

End of an era.

You did what after the game? renewing your season ticket? Hope you don't regret it in the morning some people do some crazy shit when they've had one to many. :eek:

End of an era for us yesterday. Mum passed away after 5 years with dementia. After watching this afternoon's performance I realised that Bill Shankly got it so wrong.
Cruel, cruel disease. My Mum had it too. I lost my mum seven years before she actually died. Just think of it as a happy release, though it probably doesn't feel like it at the moment.

Cruel, cruel disease. My Mum had it too. I lost my mum seven years before she actually died. Just think of it as a happy release, though it probably doesn't feel like it at the moment.
You are so right. That's why I don't understand my emotional state the last few days. We too have accepted the loss of the person we knew and loved a while ago so I expected a sense of relief rather than loss. Weird.

I cant see the appeal of the kop. 45 minutes of not knowing what the fuck is going on.

I think that may be the appeal!

Seriously though, I sit near the back of the Kop and I have no trouble really making out what is going on. In fact, I think it gives a great vantage point for analysing team shapes and tactics.

You can't see the " appeal of the kop" ? You have no soul Jehova. Sterile atmosphere especially in the Arnold Laver

You are so right. That's why I don't understand my emotional state the last few days. We too have accepted the loss of the person we knew and loved a while ago so I expected a sense of relief rather than loss. Weird.

The one illness I dread. I used to work with dementia sufferers late 1970s'. It will haunt me to my grave

Moved into the South Stand a couple of years after my oldest was born. I suspect like many people, I tried taking him on the Kop (towards the back) a few times, but eventually realised I didn't fancy the workout of lifting him above my head 30 times a game every time the ball comes anywhere near the goal.

For a while the atmosphere in G/H was great. Lots of banter/singing/etc, but that's died away over time. Seriously thinking about moving back to the Kop now my oldest is 13 (I can switch seats when taking the younger kids), so will probably go in the opposite direction next year. Any recommendations for gangway?

You can't see the " appeal of the kop" ? You have no soul Jehova. Sterile atmosphere especially in the Arnold Laver

If I want an atmosphere I go to a lively bar. I want to be able to watch the match and see what's happening at the game. I hate having a shit view.

Back
Top Bottom