Dribblers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Dribbling can be very effective in football. We haven't always had many great dribblers, but in the current squad we have some players with this ability, and pace, and we need to make more of it.

Dribbling doesn't have to be mazy runs beating three or four players, I think it's more important that the successful dribbles are coupled with good movement from teammates. Last season we never really found attacking rhythm and hopefully Adkins can work on this and make us more exciting.

Dribbling can be very effective in football. We haven't always had many great dribblers, but in the current squad we have some players with this ability, and pace, and we need to make more of it.

Dribbling doesn't have to be mazy runs beating three or four players, I think it's more important that the successful dribbles are coupled with good movement from teammates. Last season we never really found attacking rhythm and hopefully Adkins can work on this and make us more exciting.

Best two dribble goals i have seen in a red and white shirt was Tony Field ( one may have been against Ipswich ) .

The other guy who could dribble was Stuart Scullion . ( i remember him hitting the bar for Watford in a promotion game at the lane which we won 3-0. )

Does get bums off seats .

UTB

One of the best dribblers I've seen for us in recent years was Glen Little. Slow, sluggish, bit of an all-round blob, but somehow had a knack of dribbling round people. Like a lower-league Georgi Kinkladze.

As I remember the Tony Field goal he started from somewhere on the away terraces, beat several groups of fans, ran the length of the pitch through the whole of the Ipswich outfield before lifting it over the keeper. Video here only gets the last part of it - and in very poor quality. Starts at ~0:37

Messi's dad used to show him this when he was a nipper. "One day son..."

Think there are better ones out there but couldn't immediately find one.

It's still the best way to break teams down when they put 11 men behind the ball. You can't just try to pass round them, someone has to take someone on to pull players out of position and create gaps. IMO having a couple of players who can dribble is essential.

That Scougall looks good, shame it was his brother who played this season for us in his place.
Hope we get the original one back next term

As I remember the Tony Field goal he started from somewhere on the away terraces, beat several groups of fans, ran the length of the pitch through the whole of the Ipswich outfield before lifting it over the keeper. Video here only gets the last part of it - and in very poor quality. Starts at ~0:37

Messi's dad used to show him this when he was a nipper. "One day son..."

Think there are better ones out there but couldn't immediately find one.

I assume most of the goals in that video are classed as "top 10" for importance as opposed to quality?

The other guy who could dribble was Stuart Scullion . ( i remember him hitting the bar for Watford in a promotion game at the lane which we won 3-0. )

See Scullion's goal for Watford at Man U in 1969. For us he did dribble like that but the trouble was that his shot always went over the bar. He had a good start with us but, after the first two months, he didnt do much for us

Sabella was the best dribbler, with TC 2nd. Other worthy dribblers were Salmons, Hodges and Borbokis

Devlin wasn't bad, remember him running from his own half with the ball and scoring in Warnock's first game.

I was going to say devlin, but none dribble more than me when I first wake up.;)

See Scullion's goal for Watford at Man U in 1969. For us he did dribble like that but the trouble was that his shot always went over the bar. He had a good start with us but, after the first two months, he didnt do much for us

Sabella was the best dribbler, with TC 2nd. Other worthy dribblers were Salmons, Hodges and Borbokis

Silent, Colin Morris wasn't bad (an understatement) at dribbling either. The relationship he had with Edwards was one of my prized memories from watching the Blades. A very special player was Morris, and shows the value of having a player, or players, who can do the unorthodox thing during a game.

Best dribbling goal ever was Wigley. What a winner that would've been (cheers Budgie for fucking up that memory by intrinsically linking it to one of your cock ups).

Was simply the best goal ever scored at Bramall Lane. (and I was seething about Burridge's idiotic cock-up ruining the ultimate winner).

No, in fact it was the best goal ever scored. Full Stop.

Scullion's biggest problem was that after he'd beaten a couple of defenders, he simply couldn't cross a ball to save his life.... (a bit of a flaw with Gil Reece at times too).

Lee Morris, especially that day down at Cheatbury against the Arseholes. One of the best displays i've seen in a Blades shirt against established internationals, ran the cheating bastards ragged.

Silent, Colin Morris wasn't bad (an understatement) at dribbling either. The relationship he had with Edwards was one of my prized memories from watching the Blades. A very special player was Morris, and shows the value of having a player, or players, who can do the unorthodox thing during a game.
Should have included Morris in my previous post! I was a part time Blade during the 1980s anyway

Scullion's biggest problem was that after he'd beaten a couple of defenders, he simply couldn't cross a ball to save his life.... (a bit of a flaw with Gil Reece at times too).
I loved Reece but I do not remember him crossing the ball from the wing (maybe he did that in the 1960s?). When I saw him, he usually played close to Addison, Dearden or Tudor and was very good at attacking Woody's crosses. He was brilliant in the last few games of the 1970/71 season but he was dropped from the line up for the first few months of the 1971/72 season and Scullion took his place. He scored two good goals at West Ham. I remember on the way back home everyone in the Dronfield SUSC coach were anxious to come home in time for the start of the MOTD as our match was featured that night but on arriving home we knew that we had missed the start of MOTD by about 15 minutes and we were relieved to find that Hull v Norwich was the first match on MOTD meaning that we could see our match. Since that night I have never been able to see the goals of that match on youtube and they wasnt in the SUFC MOTD video (produced in 1991).

One of the best dribblers I've seen for us in recent years was Glen Little. Slow, sluggish, bit of an all-round blob, but somehow had a knack of dribbling round people. Like a lower-league Georgi Kinkladze.

Martin Smith and Vass Borbokis both had a similar ability to slowly shuffle past players, as did Tonge to an extent. It's all about keeping the ball as close to your feet as possible enabling you to change direction quickly.

On a "quicker" note, Danny Webber seemingly had the ability to pass through solid objects with the ball at his feet. If his finishing ability had been better he would never even have ended up in the second tier with us or Watford.

Re. Bergen Blade's original point, I think a key part of the dribbling thing is the willingness to try it, as much as the ability. We have previously had players capable of beating a man, but if they are unwilling to try, or under instruction not to, it is useless. Similarly, we have had players less technically able, but more willing. The willing ones are invariably the more exciting to watch. Currently I wouldn't say Adams is technically the best dribbler, or the quickest, but he's willing to run at a man. As a defender, this is horrible to deal with.

hes-drugged-dad.png

Re. Bergen Blade's original point, I think a key part of the dribbling thing is the willingness to try it, as much as the ability. We have previously had players capable of beating a man, but if they are unwilling to try, or under instruction not to, it is useless. Similarly, we have had players less technically able, but more willing. The willing ones are invariably the more exciting to watch. Currently I wouldn't say Adams is technically the best dribbler, or the quickest, but he's willing to run at a man. As a defender, this is horrible to deal with.

Very much agree with that. Cotts had talent in his feet but no bottle. Whereas Ifill and Ndlovu both operated on the basis of accepting a 1/3 chance of success. :)

Best two dribble goals i have seen in a red and white shirt was Tony Field ( one may have been against Ipswich ) .

Does get bums off seats .

UTB
Just for that one amazing goal, I forgave Tony Field for being crap

Maradona, best dribbler I ever saw and he did it all with one foot. George Best was close, as was Cruyff. At his peak Jinky was brilliant, just not in a Blades shirt. Best English player I saw as a dribbler was probably Gazza. Best in a Blades shirt? TC, Beagrie, Morris senior, Borbokis.

Back
Top Bottom