Doyle to leave in the summer ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
Just reading the article on BBC website. His contract runs to the end of the season and he says ""I'd be devastated if I left here having not been part of getting the club back up."

He's 33 now so maybe thinks the Championship is a step too far?

Link here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30200143

And for the ones who can't click the link...

Sheffield United captain Michael Doyle says his sole focus is to get the club promoted back to the Championship to end four seasons in the third tier.

The 33-year-old is in his fourth full term with the Blades and is just three appearances off his 200th game for the club.

Doyle is out of contract with the Bramall Lane side in the summer.

"The one achievement I want here is to get promoted," he told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"I'd be devastated if I left here having not been part of getting the club back up.

"I've been driven these last few years to get the team back where it belongs and to not manage it has been pretty disheartening.

"I feel like we are really close to doing it this year. There's nothing for us to fear in this league."

He added: "I'm not thinking about my contract. I'm relaxed about that whole situation.

"I'm just concentrating on my football and trying to get that promotion."

The Blades, relegated to League One in 2011, are currently fifth in the table, five points off second-placed Swindon with a game in hand.

The ex-Republic of Ireland international says that the team have been coping well given the amount of injuries in the squad.

Midfielders Ben Davies and James Wallace and strikers Marc McNulty and Michael Higdon are all currently unavailable.

"The squad is pretty thin at the minute and we've had quite a lot of games," Doyle said.

"It's been unfortunate that we've been missing a few players but hopefully we can get those lads back now and kick on."

Is the Championship a step too far, personally I think it might be.
But from a purely future planning point of view I don't see why you look to keep Doyle beyond this season.
We have 3 very young and talented players coming through and he would only delay their progress. He would also be more expensive to keep than them and isn't going to get any better.
I've had a pop at Doyle more than most but I think he's been a steady servant and he's done what has been expected of him, in the main. But times move on, and we need both him and Collins to move out so that the younger players can take us forward.

Just reading the article on BBC website. His contract runs to the end of the season and he says ""I'd be devastated if I left here having not been part of getting the club back up."

He's 33 now so maybe thinks the Championship is a step too far?

Link here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30200143

And for the ones who can't click the link...

I don't think he's ever been a championship standard central midfielder. I think he's worked hard and played his role well in League One, but he hardly dominates. This is his level and at 33, he isn't going any higher. I'm sure he knows that and credit to him for working hard despite promotion possibly meaning he has to find a new club.

Ever since Adams signed Doyle form Coventry, have always been a critic

More square pass then Butch Wilkins ever was.

Clough has sorted Doyle out and it has been noticed that other fans on here seem to respect what he is doing for the club now.

If we go up this season, there are going to be a few backs against the wall type of games where we might have to just grind something out, and Doyle made be just the person. Perhaps Clough sees Reed as this type of sitting player but with a bit more football in him, so perhaps the plan is to let him move on.

Perhaps he should be offered another year with us - at 33 , he may want and could probably get 2 years with someone else.

In the past I would have drove him to another club just to get rid, but the fella has done well and deserves recognition from fans for how he has changed his game round a bit.

UTB

I like many others have been a fierce critic of his performances in the past. Buy last season by and large he turned his game round and deserves praise.

At 33 it will be his final achivement.

I hope we learn from past mistakes made giving contracts to players on their last legs..

meh.jpg

Thing is, if we don't offer an extension to his contract, is there an incentive for him to play out of his skin to get us up? Would be a useful squad player in Championship.

Ever since Adams signed Doyle form Coventry, have always been a critic

More square pass then Butch Wilkins ever was.

Clough has sorted Doyle out and it has been noticed that other fans on here seem to respect what he is doing for the club now.

If we go up this season, there are going to be a few backs against the wall type of games where we might have to just grind something out, and Doyle made be just the person. Perhaps Clough sees Reed as this type of sitting player but with a bit more football in him, so perhaps the plan is to let him move on.

Perhaps he should be offered another year with us - at 33 , he may want and could probably get 2 years with someone else.

In the past I would have drove him to another club just to get rid, but the fella has done well and deserves recognition from fans for how he has changed his game round a bit.

UTB

Good shout Fulwood Blade. You are a advocate of positive thinking of all things Blades , so i will just change the if to when we get promoted. Mr Clough will offer him a 1 year extension to his contract for loyalty , leadership and effort.

I would have joined you in driving him to another club to get rid . However Doyle's commitment to the cause has been exemplary .

Young Reed has gone on record that he is being assisted by Doyle . Next season there will be life in the old dog , and does deserve recognition from both the fans and Mr Clough.

UTB.

I have been vocal (on other forums) of bashing Doyle in the past, but there have been recent matches where he really stepped up and did a job when it needed to be done. If we get promotion, we can afford to keep him as a squad player. As others have said, there will be games where we need someone like him to come on and slow things down.

Good shout Fulwood Blade. You are a advocate of positive thinking of all things Blades , so i will just change the if to when we get promoted. Mr Clough will offer him a 1 year extension to his contract for loyalty , leadership and effort.

I would have joined you in driving him to another club to get rid . However Doyle's commitment to the cause has been exemplary .

Young Reed has gone on record that he is being assisted by Doyle . Next season there will be life in the old dog , and does deserve recognition from both the fans and Mr Clough.

UTB.

The word "leadership" could be the defining factor - no point getting rid of a leader if there is no one else to step up the plate.

So, looking at the squad now, I don't think there is anyone at present remotely capable of stepping up.

The last thing anyone needs after getting promoted, is no obvious captain - wonder whether Chelsea would loan us John Terry!

UTB

Bar the start of last season i've always felt criticism of Doyle was totally unjustifiable and I'm amazed there's still some around. He's the kind of player every team needs but the sort who due to a lack of obvious attributes or flair many people are blind to that fact. The best example of his worth was when he was out how much McDonald struggled and more recently last season away at Tranmere where our midfield was effectively non-existent until he came on.

We may well have good midfielders coming through but none are that attributed to Doyle's role so that's irrelevant really.

It's been even clearer against our superior cup opponents how important Doyle is and there would be a lot of that should we reach the Championship. So the only question for me with regard to a new deal is how much he'll deteriorate with age, which sadly is impossible to fully know. At the moment he looks fit as ever so I'd give him a year and as mentioned move him into a coaching role as with Morgs. Ideally I think we need a 5 years younger version of Doyle.

Someone saying he's never been Championship standard is ridiculous seeing as he played most of his career there. Amazing how people get an idea of a player then immediately blind themselves to any of there qualities. It's also ridiculous criticising him for square passing. He's not in the side to spray balls all over the pitch, he's there to win it and lay it to the persons who's role that is, e.g. with a square pass. I actually feel his passing has improved lately albeit some of it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm undecided.

Decent in this league but probably not worth keeping if we got promoted.

I'm undecided.

Decent in this league but probably not worth keeping if we got promoted.

He has turned himself around this season and praise for doing so but next season I hope he's gone because that will mean we've made to division 2.

Nowt personal Doyley. :)

I know Doyle is a top bloke and has played ok in some matches this season,but for me,he's been one of the contributing factors into why we got relegated,and why we've stayed in this league.As someone else has said,if we want to build for the future we need to build with better quality than Doyle.

I know Doyle is a top bloke and has played ok in some matches this season,but for me,he's been one of the contributing factors into why we got relegated,and why we've stayed in this league.As someone else has said,if we want to build for the future we need to build with better quality than Doyle.

Agree totally - my type of midfield is busy players - Doyle has never been busy. Adams was a real plonker signing Doyle, but to be fair Doyle has been better under Clough.

Really liked Sidwell and Harper when at Reading - very busy, both could all the things required of centre mid.

Would love to see Reed and Wallace - come next season I might get my wish.

UTB

I agree. Doyle was not good in the Championship for us and has been an average L1 player, with some periods where he's been a definite liability.
He's 33 and therefore we should certainly not be offering him a playing contract at all, if NC thinks he's worth keeping as a Coach then fine. Him & Collins are probably the highest paid players as they're still on Championship contracts, so this should free up a shit load of wages for a decent striker, IMHO.

Can't see us getting into the playoffs unless we buy a few decent players in January, so next summer will be another big clear-out, I hope with players like Doyle, Collins, Porter, Higdon, McGinn all being replaced with QUALITY rather than quantity. I wouldn't even rule our letting Baxter and Scougal go if we can get decent fees as they do not make an impact in this Division.
UTB & FTP

next summer will be another big clear-out, I hope with players like Doyle, Collins, Porter, Higdon, McGinn all being replaced with QUALITY rather than quantity. I wouldn't even rule our letting Baxter and Scougal go if we can get decent fees as they do not make an impact in this Division.
UTB & FTP
I agree, these are the players we need to look to ship off in the summer, I do think Doyle as been one of the more consistent players this season but throughout his united career he has generally been poor and certainly not a player for the championship, if we reach that level anytime soon. Higdon can score goals as we have seen but his effort in a match is pathetic.
I like Baxter and Scougall but this season they have not performed at the same level as last season which is a real shame.

Back
Top Bottom