Do we really need any loans ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SandyMcBlade

Bennyandtheblades
Reaction score
OK tin hat on here but just how desperately do we need any loan players ?
After Saturdays match I'm beginning to wonder if we fans are all being a bit previous in calling for expensive new faces that could not only slow down the blending of the players we already have into a team but also limit any chance the juniors have of breaking through...
I know there isn't a football team in the world at any level that is the finished article, you can't stand still and must always be on the look out to improve, but we have also seen what happens to a team when loan players go back..
The aim this season is all about promotion, but we're not exactly out of the running with the present players are we, not like we were last season. So should we be thinking more about giving the present squad a chance to blend and achieve something rather than calling for loan players....

If it looks like it's not working there's still the window after Christmas....

A Clough said, they need to be a class above what we have or we just won't bother. Can't argue with that.

We've shown that we can dominate matches but not the scoreline. For me if takes a couple of loans to ensure we step it up a bit then can't see the problem.

Why do we assume that any loan players will be any different or better than what we already have ? they should be yes but there is no guarantee is there, Paynter wasn't was he ....

We've been fortunate on more than the odd game that we have scraped a win by one goal when other promo contenders are scoring for fun and already have great strike partnerships.it worries me that We will fall off the pace.
Dominating games and sneaking narrow victories is very frustrating to watch.
I hope higdon has turned the corner.

"I know there isn't a football team in the world at any level that is the finished article, you can't stand still and must always be on the look out to improve,"

Think you've answered your own question.

Why do we assume that any loan players will be any different or better than what we already have ? they should be yes but there is no guarantee is there, Paynter wasn't was he ....

Thats the point Clough is only going to sign players that are better than what we have already
Paynter was a panic signing
We do need some extra quality in the side 2nd half we dominated Gillingham but had to rely on a 97th minute goal to give us the points, dont forget we also conceded 8 goals in 2 away games. Just because we beat Gillingham on Saturday doesnt mean everything in the garden is rosy

"I know there isn't a football team in the world at any level that is the finished article, you can't stand still and must always be on the look out to improve,"

Yes but it's always a gamble and right now I'm wondering if it's a time to gamble or a time to wait and see....

Just a pacey striker for me please..

Btw. Isn't Basham a defender really. A defender who actually fancied himself in midfield until recently!

I suspect he would be fine at the back.

Thats the point Clough is only going to sign players that are better than what we have already
Paynter was a panic signing
We do need some extra quality in the side 2nd half we dominated Gillingham but had to rely on a 97th minute goal to give us the points, dont forget we also conceded 8 goals in 2 away games. Just because we beat Gillingham on Saturday doesnt mean everything in the garden is rosy

So does that mean we need loan players to improve our attack or our deference ? or does it mean we are now finally starting to get our act together...

Yes we do
No we should not wait as it can bve too late by January and then you can be so desperate you only end up overpaying for the dross
We need someone like Afobe at MKD
McNuts is developing but he was bought as a development player
We've languished in this division for 4 seasons so time to get out of it - not piss about and take a chance

It's not really a gamble IMO.

Clough knows what he's got by know and will hopefully know what we need to strengthen and kick on to the next level...ie maybe this Anthony Gerrard or a 'pacy striker' as mentioned elsewhere...as you say, if possible, you must always look out to improve.

UTB!

Yes definitely, and would be a huge mistake to think otherwise. At the end of the day, we aren't even in the playoff spots yet. This is not 'knocking' it's just stating a fact. We've improved since game 1, but there's two ways to look at the fact we had 26 shots on Saturday.... We are a squad capable of playoffs IMO, I would love us to go out and get a quality striker and a quality winger to finish the job, I believe we're good enough everywhere else on the park. In my opinion, it;s what we need to push us to that next level. I actually don't really get why we need a centre half, our two starters look perfectly solid and we have decent cover in Alcock and even Mceveley as well. Attackers should be priority really.

Warnock brought in Akinbiyi, Horsfield and Flitcroft to make sure we won promotion in 2005/06, but ended up disturbing the rhythm of the team and only regained that when he returned to the earlier line ups.

I think this made Warnock reluctant to make many signings in the next January transfer window.

Warnock brought in Akinbiyi, Horsfield and Flitcroft to make sure we won promotion in 2005/06, but ended up disturbing the rhythm of the team and only regained that when he returned to the earlier line ups.

I think this made Warnock reluctant to make many signings in the next January transfer window.

Yep...I know where you're coming from, but Uncle Neil often had a funny approach to transfer's/loans....and our current squad appears to have been upset from the start by a permanent signing!!!

Look at the way Higdon scored at the near post on Saturday. That's three goals and he's not even playing regularly and when he does, he doesn't look as if he's playing especially well. That, my friends, is a goalscorer.
McNulty is looking better and more confident every time we see him.
Diego just scored a hat-trick and must be worth a go soon.
I'm suggesting Sandy has a point.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Ched.
mention Ched.

2848767-23625077.jpg

;)

We watch and follow. Only one man matters. He knows his squad and his budget. Like any other manager he has to make short term decisions. I also suspect we have enough quality, but we don't have the time.

We've been fortunate on more than the odd game that we have scraped a win by one goal when other promo contenders are scoring for fun and already have great strike partnerships.it worries me that We will fall off the pace.
Dominating games and sneaking narrow victories is very frustrating to watch.
I hope higdon has turned the corner.

I understand what you're getting at but there's nothing intrinsically fortunate about winning games by a single goal. Arsenal once made it a badge of honour, glorified in song.

Are you suggesting we would be unfortunate if we were regularly losing by a single goal? I can just imagine the response if anyone suggested that, yet the reverse proposition seems to go unchallenged.

Quite a few members of this forum have some illogical views as to "luck" and "fortune". An opponent takes a shot from 25 yards, misses the target by inches, hitting our bar - Blades very fortunate, opponent unlucky.

The same opponent, in an alternative universe, takes the same shot. The ambient temperature in the ground is a degree or two different, but the opponent is not a meteorologist - he hasn't a fucking clue. Consequently the ball goes under the bar by inches and into the net. Blades very unfortunate? Opponent lucky?

It's the Bladesfans' Way.

So does that mean we need loan players to improve our attack or our deference ? or does it mean we are now finally starting to get our act together...

We need both the forward line on current form will not get enough goals
I would hardly call conceding 8 goals in 2 games getting our act together I know we kept a clean sheet at Orient but that didnt get us any points did it ?
Anybody that thinks this squad we have at the moment is good enough to get Auto
*needs to get their heads checked (*TM J Phipps)

Why are some people obsessed with a pacey striker? Shelton, Nade, Forte, Poleon. Notice anything?

But yeah let's just bring in anyone with pace to play up top eh?

Reactions: LSF
Yes we need to loan the best bloody players we can find. Ones that will improve us from play off hopefuls to Championship winners. If that's loan to buy then all the better. Look at the difference Coady and Brayford made last season. If we could have had the option to buy them both surely we would have.

My personal opinion is yes, loans signings are needed not just short term either.
But if we are looking mid to long term we have to make sure the players brought in first of all are better than what we have and hopefully are good enough to further improve and play at a higher level, those we think fit these criteria when we loan them make sure we have the option in place to buy them after the loan so we don't get arse screwed later.
Secondly loaning can give us an indication of if they really want to join us perminantly, we have seen both sides of this in recent years.
As we all know its not just the player that makes the choice of a transfer, agents want to know how much they can get, players girl friends want to know if they can get Versace shoes locally, players astrologers want to know if the conjunction of Saturn in Uranus is fortuitous, nutritionist wants to know fat content of a greasy chip butty, all stuff we rarely hear about but most know happens, a loan gives both parties the chance to see if it works, straight off permanent transfers as we have seen don't always work for either party.
Lets get a few in, see if they work, if not take em back, simple.

After Saturday, maybe it's time to calm down. Yes, we were excellent but Barnsley - with one of the worst managers in football and in freefall - beat the Gills 4-1.

Thats the point Clough is only going to sign players that are better than what we have already.

This is one of the great inexplicables in football. Yes, NC uses it all the time, but he's hardly going to sign players worse than what we've already got. Not having a go, PV, just never understood the value in the saying. (A bit like Radio Sheffield, instead of saying 'United', 'Wednesday' etc. insist on saying 'The Football Club'...)

In many ways I'm with SandyMcBlade on this one. We brought in a huge number of players in the summer, a full team in fact, plus several players going out. This was a bit of a necessary gamble, but now we have a squad that's starting to settle. We have a number of short term injuries but on the whole we've got pretty much a more than capable back up in each position.

However, were not the finished article, far from it. Were looking like were developing into a creative side, if Gillingham is anything to go buy, but on the same token we've leaked goals recently. Swindon, Colchester and also giving Gillingham a goal with their only chance just proves that there seems to be a hole there. So we need a centre half or an attacking right back which would allow Alcock to be challenging McGahey/ Collins for that centre half slot.

We have creativity through the midfield and even not having a fully fit midfield to select from so far this season (JCR, Flynn, Baxter, Murphy, Wallace and Baxter have all had injuries so far) we've had makeshift midfield set ups which have and haven't always worked, but were getting there. As I mentioned, Gillingham showed that we have the creativity.

Upfront were starting to see something from Higdon and McNulty, they're not firing on all cylinders, but they're getting there. I said last week that I didn't think a striker was priority and I think it's a case of watching and waiting to see how Higdon and McNulty both hold up. Something that I wasn't really considering was games. October- January is filled with games, league, league cup and piss pot cup. So it's worth monitoring, we don't want to be without either Higdon or McNulty, injuries and fatigue could be an issue. So looking towards someone like O'Grady or Leon Clarke type players from the championship might be worth it for a couple of months.

What we need are players who are match ready and can add to our squad. One, possibly two loanees might just help us out through a busy period

Back
Top Bottom