Diego - a loan move abroad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeInAustria

Used Vauxhall Cuvelier
Reaction score
Evening Blades!

Bit of a dilemma this Diego situation. In my opinion a loan move is needed as he is unlikely to see a prolonged spell in the first 11 and isn't even making the bench at present. A lad of his age and obvious potential needs games. I can't help but think a loan move to the Italian lower leagues might not be a bad idea for the lad.

I read somewhere that Ascoli were interested back when he was refusing to sign a new contract with us. I think moving abroad on loan to his father's homeland might be the best idea for him (if it's even possible with the transfer window having passed). It would make him buck up his ideas and get him out of Sheffield/Chesterfield for a bit and gain some invaluable life experience. Sort of like an exchange student going on a study abroad program. I know a loan to an English side in League 1/2 might make more sense in terms of style of play, but I understand his proud Italian roots and believe getting him out of Sheffield would be a good idea for his future development. Let's face it, he has to make an impact soon for the sake of his future career. Prove yourself in bella Italia Diego, enjoy la dolce vita and come back ready for Championship football.

You'd have to weigh that up with the getting some good experience in English football, the pace and nature of the game are bound to be different .

Season long loan somewhere in league 1 if playing week in week out could do him the world of good.

I've said it before - if he was called Fred Smith people would have wanted him released ages ago. It is only the fact he is called Diego that has people believing he could make it in our first team.

I'm not sure I buy into him having "obvious potential" anymore.

It is a dilemma for him and the club . Lots of players who have / had obvious potential do not make it .

Long long way off even being on the first team bench . Hope not , but non league or league 2 could beckon never mind Serie B.

UTB

I've said it before - if he was called Fred Smith people would have wanted him released ages ago. It is only the fact he is called Diego that has people believing he could make it in our first team.

Get your point about his exotic sounding name, but when Arrigo Sacchi personally intervenes to ensure you play for the Italian youth side, you must have some potential. Just think Serie B or, more likely C level would get him out of the UK and the frustration he's had, ego issues or no ego issues and give him a proper challenge in a foreign league. Fully expect him to end up in League 1 or 2 on loan, but nevertheless, something out of the ordinary might be the kick he needs (if it's still on offer).

Back
Top Bottom