Did anyone notice....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SherburnBlade

Forged in Rum
Reaction score
.... At today's game vs Hull, players from both teams were wearing some sort of device underneath their shirts, left a lump about the size of a pack of 10 ciggies sticking out of the back of their shirts just below the neck.

At first I assumed that it was some sort of new innovation brought in by Mr Adkins and Co, maybe a GPS or heart rate monitor type of thing to track the players progress. Then I noticed the Hull City players had the same thing sticking out of their backs too.

I recall previously, games where managers had heart rate monitors fitted to see how their stress levels changed through the duration of a match day. Similarly, when refs and players were miked up (to gauge the amount of abuse dished out and received I assume).

Did anyone else notice this? And has any mention been made anywhere as to what it was? Or has this been happening for ages in Pre-season matches and I've only just noticed today?

Any thoughts or observations would be received in the manner you might expect,

Or not.

Yours

Bemused of Sherburn

Less than a week to go now.....

Didn't notice it but it sounds like GPS.

I'm pretty certain they use this in training.

Must've got special dispensation to use it in the game. Makes sense: if both teams thought they could benefit then neither would object.

I'm pretty sure they've been worn in every pre-season game so far. They're all for medical and fitness purposes as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: I think a league in Belgium have actually allowed them to be worn in league games now, to try and pick up any potential heart defects in players after the few incidents that have happened in the last couple of years.

Didn't notice it but it sounds like GPS.

I'm pretty certain they use this in training.

Must've got special dispensation to use it in the game. Makes sense: if both teams thought they could benefit then neither would object.

Coincidentally, noticed a sports scientist tweet this earlier today...

EDIT: I think a league in Belgium have actually allowed them to be worn in league games now, to try and pick up any potential heart defects in players after the few incidents that have happened in the last couple of years.

lol - can you ever imagine our FA having ANYTHING that actually helps refs/managers/players during a game - hell would freeze over first.

I suppose we live in hope.

UTB

Interesting stuff, thought something might have been mentioned on official channels.
I noticed when Woodford came on be put his shirt on, then they realised he wasn't 'wired up' and he had to pop back into the lovely new dugouts to get kitted out. Reappeared with the ciggy packet sticking out the back of his shirt.

.... At today's game vs Hull, players from both teams were wearing some sort of device underneath their shirts, left a lump about the size of a pack of 10 ciggies sticking out of the back of their shirts just below the neck.

At first I assumed that it was some sort of new innovation brought in by Mr Adkins and Co, maybe a GPS or heart rate monitor type of thing to track the players progress. Then I noticed the Hull City players had the same thing sticking out of their backs too.

I recall previously, games where managers had heart rate monitors fitted to see how their stress levels changed through the duration of a match day. Similarly, when refs and players were miked up (to gauge the amount of abuse dished out and received I assume).

Did anyone else notice this? And has any mention been made anywhere as to what it was? Or has this been happening for ages in Pre-season matches and I've only just noticed today?

Or not.

Yours

Bemused of Sherburn

We've used these vests in training since at least last season, possibly longer

http://www.performbetter.co.uk/performance-monitoring/catapult-vests.aspx

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/catapult-training-vests.35490/#post-632878

I've seen lots of photos of the players wearing this GPS stuff in training but it doesn't look like anything that I would expect to see sticking out of the back of the shirt?

20140804-l-michael-higdon-training135-1803629_478x359.jpg

Brn2mK9CQAE4zYY.jpg

I've seen the catapult vests on pictures of training sessions before. Never seen/noticed them used during a match before today.

Or not.

Yours

Bemused of Sherburn

To find Higo when he goes missing.

I would be really interested to know how far they actually run in a game. I just don't believe that the majority of players are running about 10k in a game.
Does anyone have any idea as to realistic figures when they play with a GPS tracker on?

Surely with today technology they don't need to be in big old vests like that, I'm sure they could have boots/shin pads chipped instead.

I would be really interested to know how far they actually run in a game. I just don't believe that the majority of players are running about 10k in a game.
Does anyone have any idea as to realistic figures when they play with a GPS tracker on?

You could easily do 10k in a game, I do about half an hour on the treadmill in the gym at a fairly steady pace and that is usually around 5k

They seem to like showing how much distance a player has covered in the coverage of the Champions League and it's usually at least 7k.

According to some on here George Long wouldn't even cover 10 metres, given his command of the penalty area, let alone 10kms

<rant>

Technology is not God.

GPS does not give the precise distance you run, cycle, drive, walk, hop, or anything else.

This was illustrated (in a way) in the recent Stage 1 time trial at the Tour: Rohan Dennis covered the 15.8km course at an all-time record speed for a stage of the Tour (beating Chris Boardman). But, according to Strava (where cyclists the world over store their data), the course was only 15.4km so Boardman's record hadn't been beaten. Same course different distances. Not sure how this was resolved - but I'd imagine Strava had it wrong.

The GPS can give rough numbers and it will tell you (probably) if you ran further yesterday than today, but there is some error in the data.

</rant>

Tbf the technology involved is mind-boggling. I think they work by constantly comparing signals from four(?) satellites stationed 20 000 km up and given that they are extremely good.

Back
Top Bottom