'Memries' Did anyone here watch United in the 1965-1966 season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yep, 3 games, aged 10, sat in the John Street Stand

Beat West Ham 5 - 3 in my first game, beat Wednesday 1 - 0 in my next game

and Fulham in the Cup after Christmas 3 - 1

Tho' to be honest, I cant remember what I had for Breakfast this morning

Just curious like.
I am almost certain that I went to the West Brom Home game in April 1966 when we lost 2-0. It was end of season and neither team had anything to play for. I remember it was quite a hot sunny day. I think Clive Clarke scored one of their goals? Don't remember anything else about it. I also think I might have gone to the 2-2 draw with Northampton Town but am not at all sure about that.

Any particular reason for the question?

We really need Rodcurrie on this. He was at our Division1 winning parade. All cup finals and all on OAP tickets at the time. Still attends and is loved by Blades managers as he imparts pearls of wisdom in their shell likes at Shirecliffe.
Proper ledge!

Probably a few but really cant remember them
Didnt we win the Central League around that time ?

I can remember going to the CL game when we were confirmed as Champions Preston rings a bell
Yes, we won the CL that season. We won the first (in 1920-21, I think) and 1965-66 was our second

I can remember going to a game I think we were confirmed as Champions Preston rings a bell

Yes I did. Started off at the Bramall Lane end, but soon promoted myself to the Kop. I do remember Mick Jones my namesake barging the Northampton goalkeeper Coe into the goal. I think there are videos about.

Back when I was -19 I was a bit of a part-timer, so no :) Hope that helps :)

Yep, but the only one I think I remember was Spurs. Always had a soft spot for Spurs.

Just curious like.

Bumped into the wife at Bramall Lane after going to the same school, fell in love all over again ( United first love); she had to be a Blade.

We did a lot of our 'courting' ( that's what they called it then) following United and will have seen all home games that season and any away games possible. I worked till 12 noon most Saturdays so every away game other than those not possible. Remember the away game at Everton, dashed to the station and watched the train pull away; won 2-0.

Why do you ask Walth? It's only 50 years ago !!

I was 11 then 12 through that season , was my second full season
saturdays were ball inn ground in the morning to watch the juniors then down myrtle road to the ground
http://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-united-v-newcastle-united-27-november-1965-78594/

was with both my older brothers for this game and remember one saying we going to lose this
won it with 2 late late goals , happy days

hard to believe we got such a poor attendance then

Just curious like.

Yes it was my first season of going to away matches as well as home games - remember beating both Man Utd and Arsenal at home and playing Northampton in the same league ! Who would have thought that 50 years later we would be playing the Cobblers again in the 3rd Division ( League One) !!

I am almost certain that I went to the West Brom Home game in April 1966 when we lost 2-0. It was end of season and neither team had anything to play for. I remember it was quite a hot sunny day. I think Clive Clarke scored one of their goals? Don't remember anything else about it. I also think I might have gone to the 2-2 draw with Northampton Town but am not at all sure about that.

Remember the WBA game too, as we left the ground my dad was smiling, so when I challenged him about it he said "never mind lad I don't mind giving Jimmy Hagan 2 points", Hagan managed Albion then
My dad left Scotland in 1946 and became a Blade simply because of Hagans talent - must have been some player. He still goes on about him today

Anybody go to the last away game at Leicester, seem to remember it was a 2-2 draw?

I was there with my Dad that season, front of the John street terrace to the right of the halfway line next to the player's tunnel, pipe and cigar smoke wafting from the 'posh' seats behind us.

It was my first season as a regular, although I'd been to the odd Central league game and County Cup game before. Sadly it was Joe Shaw's last season but even so he was still a great player, he had an almost telepathic understanding with Hodgy in goal. One thing I recall about Hodgy apart from his brilliance is that when we conceded, he would always blush like a beetroot. We had a bald headed 'schemer' called Keith Kettleborough who looked ancient to me but was a really good player, and new stars like Woody, Mick Jones, Len Badger and Gill Reece were showing in the first team and replacing my Dad's much vaunted old guard of Doc Pace, Ronnie Simpson and Cec Coldwell .

I went to my first away game at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup and wore a massive rosette the size of a dinner plate. with 'Sheffield United' and a silver cup on it. We won and I thought that we were on our way to Wembley. Unfortunately we weren't but hey, I'd got my whole life ahead of me so I knew it was only a matter of time before we'd get there and win it... Surely. ;)

I saw us beat the Pork for as well that season, and I also went to the Sty for the first time. I was on their then open Kop, no real segregation, fans were in together some in mixed groups and others in blocks of red or blue. (I've just cheated and looked up the score as I wasn't sure) but we drew 2-2 there Alan 'Sherman' Birchenall scored our goals and also our winner at the Lane. Sherman was my favourite player, I thought that he was going to be better than Mick Jones back then, but it turned out he wasn't...not by a mile.

Happy daze UTB!

Just curious like.
I was there spending my paper round money watching the Blades, of course 1966 was the world cup year & Sheffield was full of foreigners a bit of a novelty in those days, not counting the ones seen in Attercliffe.
As young lads we thought the Blades & England were the best team in the world, so it didn't come as a surprise that we won the world cup, what is surprising is that we haven't won it since.
I remember traveling to away matches by steam train, in particular the overnight mail train from the midland station to London, left about midnight & stopped at every station, got us there at dawn, plenty of time to see the sites before the match.

Yep, 3 games, aged 10, sat in the John Street Stand

Beat West Ham 5 - 3 in my first game, beat Wednesday 1 - 0 in my next game

and Fulham in the Cup after Christmas 3 - 1

Tho' to be honest, I cant remember what I had for Breakfast this morning

Yes, I did.

Yes I did. Started off at the Bramall Lane end, but soon promoted myself to the Kop. I do remember Mick Jones my namesake barging the Northampton goalkeeper Coe into the goal. I think there are videos about.

Yep, but the only one I think I remember was Spurs. Always had a soft spot for Spurs.

Bumped into the wife at Bramall Lane after going to the same school, fell in love all over again ( United first love); she had to be a Blade.

We did a lot of our 'courting' ( that's what they called it then) following United and will have seen all home games that season and any away games possible. I worked till 12 noon most Saturdays so every away game other than those not possible. Remember the away game at Everton, dashed to the station and watched the train pull away; won 2-0.

Why do you ask Walth? It's only 50 years ago !!

I was 11 then 12 through that season , was my second full season
saturdays were ball inn ground in the morning to watch the juniors then down myrtle road to the ground
http://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-united-v-newcastle-united-27-november-1965-78594/

was with both my older brothers for this game and remember one saying we going to lose this
won it with 2 late late goals , happy days

hard to believe we got such a poor attendance then

Yes it was my first season of going to away matches as well as home games - remember beating both Man Utd and Arsenal at home and playing Northampton in the same league ! Who would have thought that 50 years later we would be playing the Cobblers again in the 3rd Division ( League One) !!

Remember the WBA game too, as we left the ground my dad was smiling, so when I challenged him about it he said "never mind lad I don't mind giving Jimmy Hagan 2 points", Hagan managed Albion then
My dad left Scotland in 1946 and became a Blade simply because of Hagans talent - must have been some player. He still goes on about him today

Anybody go to the last away game at Leicester, seem to remember it was a 2-2 draw?

Yes, and I remember the West ham game too. it was when we had Jones and Birchenall up front along Keith Kettleborough and Gil Reece.
Jones scored 2..

I was there with my Dad that season, front of the John street terrace to the right of the halfway line next to the player's tunnel, pipe and cigar smoke wafting from the 'posh' seats behind us.

It was my first season as a regular, although I'd been to the odd Central league game and County Cup game before. Sadly it was Joe Shaw's last season but even so he was still a great player, he had an almost telepathic understanding with Hodgy in goal. One thing I recall about Hodgy apart from his brilliance is that when we conceded, he would always blush like a beetroot. We had a bald headed 'schemer' called Keith Kettleborough who looked ancient to me but was a really good player, and new stars like Woody, Mick Jones, Len Badger and Gill Reece were showing in the first team and replacing my Dad's much vaunted old guard of Doc Pace, Ronnie Simpson and Cec Coldwell .

I went to my first away game at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup and wore a massive rosette the size of a dinner plate. with 'Sheffield United' and a silver cup on it. We won and I thought that we were on our way to Wembley. Unfortunately we weren't but hey, I'd got my whole life ahead of me so I knew it was only a matter of time before we'd get there and win it... Surely. ;)

I saw us beat the Pork for as well that season, and I also went to the Sty for the first time. I was on their then open Kop, no real segregation, fans were in together some in mixed groups and others in blocks of red or blue. (I've just cheated and looked up the score as I wasn't sure) but we drew 2-2 there Alan 'Sherman' Birchenall scored our goals and also our winner at the Lane. Sherman was my favourite player, I thought that he was going to be better than Mick Jones back then, but it turned out he wasn't...not by a mile.

Happy daze UTB!

I was there spending my paper round money watching the Blades, of course 1966 was the world cup year & Sheffield was full of foreigners a bit of a novelty in those days, not counting the ones seen in Attercliffe.
As young lads we thought the Blades & England were the best team in the world, so it didn't come as a surprise that we won the world cup, what is surprising is that we haven't won it since.
I remember traveling to away matches by steam train, in particular the overnight mail train from the midland station to London, left about midnight & stopped at every station, got us there at dawn, plenty of time to see the sites before the match.

Thanks for that chaps.

So, follow up question, who you each pick as player of the season?

Yes I started going when we had Joe Shaw centre half, Doc Pace centre forward, Allchurch on the wing, Hodgy in goal etc. I remember my cousin saying to dad to go and see the reserves as we had some good young uns coming through and to look out for kids with the names of Jones, Birchenhall and Woodward.

Back
Top Bottom