Did anybody actually play well?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I couldn't make it last night, listened until they scored the 4th then switched off as couldn't take any more. I honestly got more enjoyment out of watching America's Next Top Model with the wench.

To those who sat through it all (I applaud you), can any of the "players" from last night take any credit whatsoever from that game? Or was everyone just sh**** from start to finish?

Wait for it.... I thought Hammond had his best game for us last night (not difficult) and was our best shit too. That's how last night left me....
Still woefully slow, though. His booking was an embarrassing display of that.

Still woefully slow, though. His booking was an embarrassing display of that.
Agreed, slow is the norm for him. But he showed throughout, never hid, did some dirty work effectively, rarely gave it away and got on the end of a free kick to score.
For him, that's a wonder display....

Baxter and Reed were good I thought. Two of our only 'ball playing' midfielders, or footballers in general. Coutts can play but he's towing a truck.

Then he took them off...

You are kidding ,try telling Adkins Freeman and the scoreboard operator that. Baxter was at his worse last night ambling around , out of position ,no intention of supporting his team mates ,flouncing about when it didn't go his way. They spotted this early and attacked relentlessly down our right hand side. If that was playing well we really are fucked.

Agreed, slow is the norm for him. But he showed throughout, never hid, did some dirty work effectively, rarely gave it away and got on the end of a free kick to score.
Got to agree with this fellas. Hammond had his best game for us last night. Which has elevated his performances from piss poor to below average !!!

If the gaffer doesn't see this as a problem than this is a major concern.

We have very little by way of engine in the engine room of central midfield.

This is causing problems for our defenders who are under protected. Albeit they could be doing more themselves.

All our CM players are obviously encouraged to press the ball relatively high up the pitch. This in itself is not a problem. BUT when both our CM players go at the same time, when they get turned (and they frequently do !), the space left behind in the so called hole for the oppos players is enormous.

I guess what I am saying is that we desperately need a disciplined aggressive holding CM player who can break play up at ease and fill the gaps when they appear, cos they are appearing far too often.

The gung Ho approach has got to stop. And soon.

Even though we are shit at the moment, scoring has not really been a problem. But we are conceding far far too many.

UTB

By the standards of the rest of the team, yeah. It was Baxter who won the ball back and set up our goal.

But even if they were less shit than the rest doesnt mean they played well.

Baxter also cost us a goal. The tackle he put in for the 3rd was intended to hurt their player out of frustration, he only succeeded in giving him a free run into the box.

Got to agree with this fellas. Hammond had his best game for us last night. Which has elevated his performances from piss poor to below average !!!

If the gaffer doesn't see this as a problem than this is a major concern.

We have very little by way of engine in the engine room of central midfield.

This is causing problems for our defenders who are under protected. Albeit they could be doing more themselves.

All our CM players are obviously encouraged to press the ball relatively high up the pitch. This in itself is not a problem. BUT when both our CM players go at the same time, when they get turned (and they frequently do !), the space left behind in the so called hole for the oppos players is enormous.

I guess what I am saying is that we desperately need a disciplined aggressive holding CM player who can break play up at ease and fill the gaps when they appear, cos they are appearing far too often.

The gung Ho approach has got to stop. And soon.

Even though we are shit at the moment, scoring has not really been a problem. But we are conceding far far too many.

UTB
To play a pressing game, you have to have midfielders who can do this. We only have one, Scougall, but he doesn't contribute much else.

I would love us to play a pressing game but he'd have to replace at least 2 central midfielders.

It's been our Achilles heel for 3 seasons. Sides know they can press us and get their rewards.

The team as a whole were poor and the only player slightly less poor than the rest was George Long. George has been very unfortunate to be our keeper in the two worst performances of the season. On both occasions he was badly let down by the shocking defending in front of him. Our astonishing lack of mobility was my abiding memory of the game as they scored their 4th goal having broken away from our failed free kick. They had 5 against 3 breaking into our half and Usain Bolt would have struggled to keep up with their No 18 who I think ran the furthest.

You are kidding ,try telling Adkins Freeman and the scoreboard operator that. Baxter was at his worse last night ambling around , out of position ,no intention of supporting his team mates ,flouncing about when it didn't go his way. They spotted this early and attacked relentlessly down our right hand side. If that was playing well we really are fucked.
No, I'm serious. He simply shouldn't be relied upon for defensive duties, in my opinion.

After last night this is going to sound stupid, but most of our players would walk into other teams in this league. The glaringly obvious thing to me is that we've got a terrible imbalance. We've got too many bland pros that are coached to within an inch of their life and not enough of a contrast between industrious ankle-biters, and natural flair and talent. Those with natural talent (Baxter, Che, JCR) unfortunately are often inconsistent, moody and petulant. Those negative aspects are more prevalent the lower down the leagues you go. But you still need these players. If our defensive midfielders were more capable, it isn't a problem. The majority of United's most talented players throughout history had the right man / men behind them.

Agreed but in defence of Baxter - he is continually "tried" in positions he just cannot play - like right side midfield.
Playing him in front of the back 4 also.

Adkins is trying to fit Baxter in and it is failing most times.

To play Baxter he should have no defensive responsibilities - either a no 10 or up top - but then we know Adkins won't play him up top.

It's all very sad.

UTB

Reed, Baxter, Sammon and Collins were dire. Reed gave the ball away on numerous occasions and when he managed to keep it it he passed it sideways. I thought Freeman was made to look bad by Baxters ' I couldn't give toss' attitude. Collins was asleep all the 1st half marking thin air and when he got the ball was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Sammon had no desire whatsoever, he was ambling around like it was a 5 a side game. He never made half an effort to win a ball in the air.

The team as a whole were poor and the only player slightly less poor than the rest was George Long. George has been very unfortunate to be our keeper in the two worst performances of the season. On both occasions he was badly let down by the shocking defending in front of him. Our astonishing lack of mobility was my abiding memory of the game as they scored their 4th goal having broken away from our failed free kick. They had 5 against 3 breaking into our half and Usain Bolt would have struggled to keep up with their No 18 who I think ran the furthest.

the majority of fans on here want Basham at Centre half - we have seen why he shouldn't be at CH - he quite simply, is not a CH.

as Baxter isn't a right side midfield
as Flynn is not a right full back
as JCR is not a left sided midfield
as Basham can't play in a 4 in CM
as Scoogs can't play in a 4
as Adams is or isn't a wide midfield or up top - don't even think Adkins knows where.
as for Hammond - waste of a very large wage at this level.

go to betty's for a coffee !!!

UTB

Agreed but in defence of Baxter - he is continually "tried" in positions he just cannot play - like right side midfield.
Playing him in front of the back 4 also.

Adkins is trying to fit Baxter in and it is failing most times.

To play Baxter he should have no defensive responsibilities - either a no 10 or up top - but then we know Adkins won't play him up top.

It's all very sad.

UTB
That's what Ive been saying ,we cant keep trying to facilitate Baxter at the expense of the team no matter how well he plays. He is a difficult player to fit into any team pattern. We should try and get something for him while we can.

Wait for it.... I thought Hammond had his best game for us last night (not difficult) and was our best shit too. That's how last night left me....
Imagine how good he would be if he could actually run? I could beat him in a sprint and I've got an arthritic hip.

Seen a lot of contrasting views but here is my take. The performances ranged from disgraceful to mediocre.

Long 5- Didn’t make a meaningful save but was badly exposed.

Freeman- 4- Sloppy but constantly outnumbered in the first half with Baxter not running with his fullback.

Basham- 6- At least showed a bit of effort. Limited but tries to put himself about, make tackles and compete for headers.

Collins 5- Won his headers (from which midfield never won a second ball) but struggled with the movement of Vernon up front and often looked at full stretch.

Harris 4- As poor as the rest with some embarrassingly poor free kicks to boot. Wallace can consider himself unlucky to not be playing. Played a lot of lazy punts forward from deep as well.

Baxter 4- Offers something going forward but no positional discipline or work-rate to speak of. Didn’t track back, left Freeman badly exposed. Would be a 2 or 3 if not for the assist.

Hammond 5- Looks like the mind is willing but the body is not able. He tries to make challenges but is often late. Could have been sent off. Showed more desire than some and got a goal but is so slow.

Reed 2- Nowhere near his man at any point. Barely touched the ball. Like playing with 10 men. Don’t think he made one tackle or won one 50/50 ball.

Adams- 4- As lazy as the rest of midfield shirking his defensive responsibilities. Tried to run at the defence but when he beat his man, he didn’t get his head up and his decision making was poor.

Sharp- 4- Toiled wilfully on the right wing in the 2nd half but didn’t have the pace or trickery to make anything happen really. Was very quiet up front in the first half. Perhaps needs resting for a game or 2. He’s a striker that needs good service and struggles to create for himself.

Sammon 6- At least put a shift in. got a goal and made their defence work a bit. Worked the keeper with a decent effort 2nd half. But for a big bloke, he is atrocious in the air. Still, one of the better players and one of only 3 that I think should keep their place from the starting 11.

Subs:

Edgar- 6- Reasonably steady. A bit clumsy on the ball but won a few headers.

McEveley 5- Slow playing out from the back and struggled to win headers. No huge ricks though. Got away with a lot of wrestling.

Done- 5- ran around a bit but struggled to affect the game in any real way. Bergen’s reference to gegen-pressing and our inability/unwillingness to do it means that his individual pressing is often ineffective. He’s one who looks like he’s lacking confidence as opposed to effort. Certain others seem to think they can stroll through games and that they are much better than they are. I think it’s the opposite problem with him.

On the Sammon point, no, he didn't win a lot of headers, but as i made the point to the bloke constantly shouting "Fucking jump Sammon" I shall make again:

It's difficult to jump for a ball when every time the balls is near you, you've got a CH getting a step-ladder out and climbing onto your shoulders, when the ref offers no protection whatsoever. In fairness to the ref, he let a lot of that go on both sides of the coin. Sammon also had a very poor game, but better than most of the other 10, as his control of the ball was atrocious at times, and merely poor the rest of the time, but complaining about his inability to win headers when he's got people clambering on him is unfair.

His bendy legs seem to restrict his pace and movement. He does seem to have the brain to read things but his body is "too old". I think, in modern football, experienced players who are over 30 are becoming "a thing in the past". We need up and coming players

Reactions: LSF
Sammon is wank and continues a fine tradition of wank big uns we have employed in recent years.

UTB

Seen a lot of contrasting views but here is my take. The performances ranged from disgraceful to mediocre

Sharp- 4- Toiled wilfully on the right wing in the 2nd half but didn’t have the pace or trickery to make anything happen really. Was very quiet up front in the first half. Perhaps needs resting for a game or 2. He’s a striker that needs good service and struggles to create for himself...

Right, for me Billy Sharp should only very rarely go anywhere near the flanks. Granted that when he does he can put a decent ball in, the type of ball he's usually been waiting for himself. I don't want to see him any wider than the edge of the six yard box. A constant box target, sniffing about picking up palmed saves, getting on the end of crosses etc. We need a couple of "proper" wide men. With engines to cover the full back and sprint on a counter attack and whip a ball in or even go for goal. We have one true wide player in JCR who is at the wrong end of his career. Just about every team we've played has had someone out wide who looked more akin to what we need

On the Sammon point, no, he didn't win a lot of headers, but as i made the point to the bloke constantly shouting "Fucking jump Sammon" I shall make again:

It's difficult to jump for a ball when every time the balls is near you, you've got a CH getting a step-ladder out and climbing onto your shoulders, when the ref offers no protection whatsoever. In fairness to the ref, he let a lot of that go on both sides of the coin. Sammon also had a very poor game, but better than most of the other 10, as his control of the ball was atrocious at times, and merely poor the rest of the time, but complaining about his inability to win headers when he's got people clambering on him is unfair.

Agreed. Can't have too many complaints against the ref on that front given what McEveley was getting away with.

Back
Top Bottom