Definitely making progress

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShockingBadBuy

Often disappointed, never discouraged
Reaction score
Me and Badbuy jr reckon we are definitely coming on.

Crewe gave us very little to cope with today. But we were away from home, against a side who had won 3 on the bounce, with 3 clean sheets, including beating Peterborough, and we controlled the game from start to finish. If we had played with a striker we'd have won 5 or 6 nil. We had seats 001 and 002. First time ever, anywhere ! This meant we spent pretty much the entire first half hour peering into the distance, as Utd pinned Crewe deep into their own half. For long periods, they simply couldn't get beyond about 35 yards out. For those of us who have recently worried on this forum about our lack of high-pressing, this was really good to see.

We also played with a relatively high tempo for most of the game. There were passages where we knocked it sideways a bit, but this often led to a quickening up when we went for it, and we created enough to win it by several. Passes sometimes went astray (and giving the ball away was a concern today), but they worked hard at keeping us narrow, especially in the first half, and with both teams playing 5 in midfield it was pretty crowded in there.

So it was a JOY to see us getting it wide when we could. JCR did his usual first-half stuff then largely vanished for his usual second half, but Murph absolutely battered his full-back from first to last. At times it was embarrassing. He went inside his man and outside his man, pretty much at will. Again, if we had played with a striker we would have improved our goal difference significantly.

Also good to see us looking relatively untroubled at the back. McCarthy's distribution remains dodgy until he's got a feel for the game, but defensively we felt he was exemplary. Basham, for the third game in a row, was a star. Brave as a lion, positionally sound, and comfortable and creative bringing the ball out. So far, anyway, he reminds me a bit of late-era Jags. A bit lost in midfield, but a solid and footballing centre-half. Alcock and Bob got forward strongly, and from our view tackled hard and never looked under threat.

Negatives (if you can call them that, after a great day out). (1) We still look nervous when defending a lead, dropping too deep and inviting a poor side onto us. That said, this was much improved from Bradford. At times we still just look like we don't believe we can do it. (2) Poor Jose: come on Nige, play him in front of the back 4, and save us all the pain. (3) Keep the ball ! (4) Play a striker ! (5) Crewe Alexandra, please sort out your provision of pies to the travelling public.

I had a steak pie mid first half with an 8 out of 10 :)
Why do we have to play Jose ? Who does he deserve to take the place of ?
Basham could turn out to be a real star and cult figure at centre half, who would have thought that a few weeks ago ?

Me and Badbuy jr reckon we are definitely coming on.

Crewe gave us very little to cope with today. But we were away from home, against a side who had won 3 on the bounce, with 3 clean sheets, including beating Peterborough, and we controlled the game from start to finish. If we had played with a striker we'd have won 5 or 6 nil. We had seats 001 and 002. First time ever, anywhere ! This meant we spent pretty much the entire first half hour peering into the distance, as Utd pinned Crewe deep into their own half. For long periods, they simply couldn't get beyond about 35 yards out. For those of us who have recently worried on this forum about our lack of high-pressing, this was really good to see.

We also played with a relatively high tempo for most of the game. There were passages where we knocked it sideways a bit, but this often led to a quickening up when we went for it, and we created enough to win it by several. Passes sometimes went astray (and giving the ball away was a concern today), but they worked hard at keeping us narrow, especially in the first half, and with both teams playing 5 in midfield it was pretty crowded in there.

So it was a JOY to see us getting it wide when we could. JCR did his usual first-half stuff then largely vanished for his usual second half, but Murph absolutely battered his full-back from first to last. At times it was embarrassing. He went inside his man and outside his man, pretty much at will. Again, if we had played with a striker we would have improved our goal difference significantly.

Also good to see us looking relatively untroubled at the back. McCarthy's distribution remains dodgy until he's got a feel for the game, but defensively we felt he was exemplary. Basham, for the third game in a row, was a star. Brave as a lion, positionally sound, and comfortable and creative bringing the ball out. So far, anyway, he reminds me a bit of late-era Jags. A bit lost in midfield, but a solid and footballing centre-half. Alcock and Bob got forward strongly, and from our view tackled hard and never looked under threat.

Negatives (if you can call them that, after a great day out). (1) We still look nervous when defending a lead, dropping too deep and inviting a poor side onto us. That said, this was much improved from Bradford. At times we still just look like we don't believe we can do it. (2) Poor Jose: come on Nige, play him in front of the back 4, and save us all the pain. (3) Keep the ball ! (4) Play a striker ! (5) Crewe Alexandra, please sort out your provision of pies to the travelling public.

Good post and agree with you fully .Your points 1 to 4 seems to be the benchmark for every game . If us fans can see it , i am sure Mr Clough and his coaching staff can . We are becoming hard to beat and still appear to be in 3rd gear . This may finish up being the scenario all season , but things will change with a out and out striker , and Jose being in a well suited position of playmaker.

Mr Clough will resolve all issues and we are on track in the right direction.

Had fish and chips , therefore cannot comment on the pies.

UTB.

The players like Nigel. He urges improvement from the stars, defends those getting bashed in the press. Defended Scougs and Basham through their bad patches. Urged more from Marc and JCR, the crowd favourites.

Expect Higdon, on midweek.

It's quite obvious the mojo is returning to the team and we are starting to impose and win dirty if needed.

But could you imagine us playing a 3-1-3-2 with two imposing front men, one of aerial capability and one who was rapid and skilful? We seem to have what it takes out wide, the defence is recovering from losing Magire and the midfield seems to have spells in games where they make the difference. So where are the fucking strikers, McCabe?

In amongst all the fuss about Ched Evans, we seem to have forgotten there is an existing opportunity to bring in a game changing investment to score some fucking goals from the attack, instead of midfield and defence.

pommpey

Basham could turn out to be a real star and cult figure at centre half, who would have thought that a few weeks ago ?
Don't keep your agenda to one person sitters,this isn't Porter we're talking about.Don't get me wrong,there's definately a reason to believe he shouldn't be playing,especially in that position when McNulty could be playing it,but come on,he isn't as bad as you make out.You suprise me.

A match report from a Crew fan:

Crewe Alex V Sheff Utd: post

Lifetime Supporter
13,664 posts
Posted Today,07:47 PM

"Well, where to start?

We were poor today, against a good side though. I didn't disagree with the changing of the system, but despite being the best defender of the 3 we've been picking, Steve drops Tate. Sound logic, sound.

First half, we were abject. I honestly didn't think we were any better or worse than the first 30 minutes on Tuesday, but Sheff U were much better than Posh. Our front 4, even allowing for Habers lack of service, were dreadful. Brandy couldn't trap the ball, Cooper is nowhere near experienced enough to be playing the number 10 role and Inman was anonymous on the left. Despite the fact that the 3 behind Haber should have been quite fluid with their positions, they were so rigid it was untrue. All 4 couldn't mount any sort of attack, which meant Sheff U spent most of the first 45 camped inside our half. But, it has to be said, after missing the 2 great chances in the first 10 minutes, Sheff U didn't test Garratt seriously again in that half. We had one decent chance from Cooper which was well saved, but I can't remember us having another chance.

2nd half, more of the same really, well up until the last 25 odd minutes of the game. Ray was actively turning away from the ball and retreating towards his own goal every time Sheff U ran at us, absolutely comical defending. Toots did the same. The decision to take Haber and Brandy off for Ness and Haynes off was ok, but it looked a poorly timed one(not that I'm blaming Steve for being proactive) one when they scored 4 minutes later. What on earth Tootle was doing I don't know. ok, he gets outpaced down the the line, but then he's in the box and he lunges in for no reason, Murphy checks back and lays it to Scougall for an easy tap in. It was no more than United deserved, they'd been comfortably the better team for almost all the game.

Bad head injury for Inman, hope he's ok. Went to Hospital as a precaution. But then a minute later, Ray misses a cross yet again and as Baxter looks set to have a 1-on-1 shot with Garratt, but Ray clips him. Now, I'd have to watch the highlights, but on first glance, Ray is incredibly fortunate to stay on the pitch. It wasn't too dissimilar to the Bostwick red on Tuesday. Garratt then bailed out Ray with a superb penalty save. Thought we could use that save to build up some momentum and really give it a go in the last 10 minutes, but Ray firmly put paid to that. Now, some seem to think he was fouled or McNulty hand balled his controlling attempt, but Ray slips as the last man, their lad is in, but its saved. Now, Ray goes tear arsing to the ref, shouting at the ref and getting in his face. not sure how much contact their was between the 2 or if Ray pushed the ref, but the ref decides Rays reaction is OTT and sends him off. Said it all that the crowd barely reacted to the red. For me, it looked like a deserved red, but hopefully the highlights can throw more light on the incident. That put paid to our chances of mounting a late attack, although we did give it a go. Problem we had was that we had subbed Haber, loaned Oliver and Ray(a threat from attacking set pieces tbf) had been sent off. Meant all we could do when lumping it long was to try and hope Haynes could do something or Duggy could win a header. We couldn't and Sheff U missed a few quality chances, JCR being the worst culprit.

Sheff U win 1-0 and it was fully deserved. They were the better side bar a shaky 10 minutes in terms of overall play, but their final 3rd work was poor. Didn't create anywhere near enough when compered to how much of the ball they saw in the game. Should have won it 3 or 4 nil mind, they missed at least 3 good chances and blew several other half chances. They were much better than even the 11 man Posh side on Tuesday, more variety and creativity, but lacked a clinical edge. One of the better teams I've seen us play this season.

As for us, I don't think we lost because of the system, we lost because the players just didn't do well enough. Inman was anonymous when he was on, Cooper shouldn't be playing as a number 10 yet, Brandy couldn't get going, Haber struggled. The front 4 just weren't good enough for whatever reason.

Then you have Toots and Ray. Toots was terrible yet again today. His passing was terrible and his defensive work was awful. I can see why he never got a move in the summer, because his core defensive abilities(tackling, not backing off, stopping crosses) are badly lacking. Couple with that with the fact he is the captain and is supposed to be leading by example, he then sulked off the pitch at the end of the game without acknowledging the fans. Poor show from him. His form is seriously worrying. Ray, well what can be said about him that hasn't been said already? I'm not going to be completely biased against him, he was fine in the last 3 games. But today, possibly without Tate to guide him, he went to pot. Missed a cross in the first half, then in the second half he lost his head completely. He should have walked for the penalty and if the red incident is as bad as it looks, he needs fining for gross misconduct. Either way, he was shocking today. Should be kept away from the team for a while. Another who was a let down today was Grant. Got an unnecessary booking 10 minutes in, then spent the rest of the first half trying not to get sent off. Improved a bit in the 2nd half, but then he should have walked for a shoulder barge. Got away with that.

Really disappointed with the players, they let Davis down today and I'd be the first one to criticise him if I felt he was to blame for the loss. Hopefully we can get back to our old system and ways next week. Either way, he now has several decisions to make team wise next week. No Ray(hurrah), no Inman(can't train for the next 5 days), no Grant(suspended). Best of luck Steve".

And some ratings nicked from BM:

Player Ratings
Howard - 7 - Very routine afternoon for Mark, made one very good save on the stroke of half time, caught a couple of crosses and distributed well.

Alcock - 8 - Defended brilliantly and got forward to support JCR. Good overlapping runs and some decent crosses that were begging to be hammered home.

Basham - 8 - Picked up where he left off from Tuesday night, very competitive in the air, sound with the ball at his feet. Particularly impressive the way he likes to bring the ball out of defence and start the attacks.

McCarthy - 7 - Very steady, good organiser, good talker, forming a good solid partnership with Basham. Dominated Haber who isn't a particularly outstanding forward in this league but nonetheless he kept him very quiet and will certainly have tougher tests to come.

Harris - 8 - Pretty much the same write up as Alcock, defended resolutely, got forward brilliantly to support Murphy. Those two are a force to be reckoned with at this level and their understanding is starting to become Lowton and Williamson esque! Very impressive.

JCR- 8 - Some fantastic, marauding runs down the right wing with pace, trickery and directness. Final ball again lacking and should have had a goal when he burst through on goal from midfield but chose to try a fancy outside foot finish instead of a simple shape around the keeper. Also frustratingly took one off Reeds' toe end late on as he was about to smash another Murphy cutback home.

Wallace - 9 - Well, where to start with this lad! What a talent he is and if not for his horrendous bad luck with injuries, he'd surely be playing top end Championship, maybe even Prem. Carries the ball so well, such positivity in his play, he just drives everyone forward and ya can tell the other lads love playing with him. If we can keep him fit and wrap him in cotton wool, he'll be the catalyst of our promotion! Kevin McDonald has nothing on a fully fit James Wallace!

Doyle - 7 - Rarely troubled by a Crewe midfield devoid of ideas, marshalled his opposite marker well and did the simple things well. Accurate passing and got stuck in when he had to.

Murphy - 9 - Wow! Best left winger in the division when he's on it like he was today! Gave Tootle a torrid afternoon who is a sound defender at this level. Got in behind so many times I lost count. Cutbacks, crosses, shots, he had it all today! To be fair to the Crewe defence, they threw themselves in front of a lot of what he'd created for others today with last ditch blocks and putting their heads on the line. Outstanding performance!

Scougall - 7 - Made some brilliant late runs into the box to try and get on the end of one of Murphys' cutbacks. Didn't have an outstanding game, lost control of the ball a few times along with a few bits of sloppy play but stamped it out and got control of it. Got more and more confident as the game wore on and went on a couple of mazy runs through the middle as we chased that second goal.

Baxter - 6 - Should have scored in the opening two minutes, 1v1 with the keeper on the turn but he shot straight at his legs. Made a couple of decent runs, a weak finish and a pi ss weak penalty!The lad ain't a centre forward and if I'm entirely honest with all of ya, I want that to be the last time we see him up there! Cloughy can't keep accomodating both he and Scougall, it has to be one or the other! He's a quality player but he's suffering in this formation.

Reed - 6 - Steady last 20 mins or so, great on the ball, brilliant vision.
McEveley - 6 - Kept it solid at the back when he came on.
McNulty - 6 - Almost scored within 30 seconds of coming on, 1v1 with the keeper at an awkward angle so can be forgiven for not having a lot to aim at. Made some lovely runs as always in behind and along the line. He's very aware of whats happening around him and has intelligence of when to hold his run. Simply has to start on Tuesday night now, cannot be ignored anymore as I feel he's starting to get a little cheesed off with being overlooked in favour of Baxter!

Good choice there sitters, the pies at the White Lion ran out, really! They still had beef with gravy and stilton baguette with chips though. No Hendos, but we managed and had Matt from the Flashing Blade and some of his friends for company.

Agree about Jose, it's not a witchhunt, but he looks lost and falls over far too much.

Basham looks a good CB, but close up, he's very skinny, he needs to swop physique with Higdon.

sounds like the progression is gathering momentum, the spirit is returning and players are playing more to the bosses plan.
Personnel will change as Nigel spreads the load over a long hardseason ,expect 4/5 changes at mk dons, hes keeping everyone involved and building the belief up nicely

Back
Top Bottom