Decent run

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
Anyone else feel like we're on the brink of a run of results like we had last the back end of last season?

After an indifferent start we're now going on little undefeated runs, runs that are getting longer each time.

Since the start of the season, taking into account the size of the squad and new players, I always felt this was a team that would be very strong post Christmas. Don't think many of the teams currently up there have the strength and quality in depth that we do.

Just feel like we're building up a head of steam. Games like this Saturday will tell us a lot, a win would mean 9 points from the week - this would be a real marker.

Unlike the rest of the free world I didn't see the Bradford game. Would it be fair to say we deserved the win but were far from great? Anyway, from the highlights we were lucky to not concede - that header for instance should have been a goal. Last night we had no such near misses (despite McGahey's strongest efforts to manufacture a chance for them in the second half). We won by the same score and few would argue that it wasn't a just result, so maybe we're picking up. That said, Yeovil were poor weren't they?

My view would be that we are slowly gaining momentum.

Completely agree - this season pretty much seems to be mirroring last season when Clough first came in - a slow and iffy start but when the players got to grips with it, we saw improvement game on game. I don't think anyone can argue that we aren't seeing the team starting to gel now and realise what Clough wants from them. The workrate and fitness seems to have dramatically improved since August / September too. And I love the team ethic that we have, they really work hard for each other.
Everyone was a bit disappointed with our slow start, but I would say much better to have a good second half of the season, when perhaps the early season frontrunners start to tail off, lose form, get injuries etc. None of the teams currently above and around us can be compared to the likes of Wolves from last season who had the money and strength in depth, plus still having Prem quality players, to sustain season long form as they did IMO.
Feeling positive.
UTB

As I said last night, I think the team is still a 'work in progress', but it's getting there and wins, along with clean sheets, bring confidence and that's what the team had at the end of last season!
I still think we need a more settled side, but with injuries, indifferent performances etc the squad we have, although much bigger than the 18 Clough said he needed will come into it's own, especially as the winter starts!

We're looking good.
In Nigel we trust ;)

There has been a lot made of clough rotating the first team, and I guess rightly so but apart from a couple of terrible results it has on the whole worked, we have got points with weakened teams, players out of position and players only playing a couple of games before being sidelined.
Now it could be argued when it gets to busy Xmas period, suspensions and injuries are there going to be many teams where almost all of the squad has played at least a couple of times?
So could not this chopping and changing gamble work in our favour as all players will have been in first team and resting a couple here and there shouldn't be a great detriment to the style and set up of the team?
Just a thought.
And I sincerely hope the run continues be it 1-0 scrappy, lucky wins or as I believe when the players are more used to each other 3 and 4 goal thumping s, we certainly in most games have the possession and chances to do this no matter who has the first 11 shirts.
UTB

At the start of the season there was a lot of talk of the players running out of steam late in games with posters wondering whether we were fit enough. It looks like it's the opposite - preseason was really tough which meant that the players were tired at the start of the season.

We're definitely starting to see the benefits of the hard yards now - it's been a while since I've seen a United team look fitter than every side they're up against. In fact, I'd probably have to go back to the Warnock/Daley days.

It's not scrappy 1-0 wins at the moment. After the goal a game start, our last 7 games have seen us score 2 goals 6 times, and 3 goals once (at Colchester). This is a big improvement on the first 6 games.

Two goals a game is promotion form - if you can keep the goals down. We have lost twice in this 7 game spell, but back to back clean sheets is very encouraging. Good signs all round.

Local derbies are hard to call, but the games coming up in the next few weeks seem less dangerous on paper than what's gone before.

At the start of the season there was a lot of talk of the players running out of steam late in games with posters wondering whether we were fit enough. It looks like it's the opposite - preseason was really tough which meant that the players were tired at the start of the season.

We're definitely starting to see the benefits of the hard yards now - it's been a while since I've seen a United team look fitter than every side they're up against. In fact, I'd probably have to go back to the Warnock/Daley days.

Loved Tony Daley as a fitness coach. You'd often see him sat on a cool box looking out in deep contemplation like a modern day Plato.

Back
Top Bottom