David Brooks the secret weapon.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From the pig end

Reaction score
I've neither the time or the patience to write a review on today's game, plus there's fellas on here who do a much better job than I ever could. I Just thought I'd throw a few positives out there before bed.

-Jack O'connell read the game well, looks confident on the ball (at the right time) knows when to get rid, uses his strength in the right way and looked a threat in their box in the last 15min of the game.

- Sharp looked a thousand times more up to speed with the game than he did at Stocksbridge. Beat Davies for speed and strength at one point which was brilliant to see.

- Although Hussey's crossing went to shit just after I explained to my old man what a good delivery he had, I really enjoyed seeing him today and having a relatively big -yet mobile left back is a breath of fresh air.

Fleck- basically what we've needed Wallace for these last 2 seasons. Constantly available, great eye for a FORWARD pass and looks to pull the strings and dictate the game.

DCL- Brilliant, and I'm not his biggest fan. I would have snapped Evertons hand off for 1m but today his touch was much better than I've ever seen. Let's be fair nobody has seen him play more than Wilder with him being there last season, so if he thinks he should be in contention to start for us than so do I.

Brooks- now I know very little about him and I can count the times I've seen him play on one hand but I think we are on to something with this lad.
Il be honest I said the same about Khan and probably got it wrong but with this kid I'm pretty sure he can make a splash with us and maybe as early as this season.
He seems to glide, Scoogall does the same but never has the ball truly under control(he seems like he's always playing on a really steep hill where the ball is always running away from him too quickly) where as David's touch and balance seem fantastic. He looks direct, fearless, and has a good delivery.

I wanted a new target man, a better version of Bash for centre midfield, another center half and a tricky, quick winger.... I think I can now knock that final one off the list.

*not really a positive but did anyone see how mardy Sparky got when Sharp netted his second? They might be team mates but I doubt Wilder will ever play them together so in friendlies like that, why the hell would you pass to the lad who's vying for your position!?

I really enjoyed today.

UTB

Only seen Brooks in the reserves. Better than Reed?
Brooks is a real talent (released by city' as too small) he's grown and will fill out in the next few years city may have missed a trick here as he has the ability to go all the way, just needs patience and a bit of time to mature we could have got a real nuggett in him.

Did you expect anything else from Cunty McCuntly? He's a fucking prick and I hope Wilder seriously reconsiders his decision to have him back.
He was open for a tap in to be fair, sharp could have rolled it to him on three occasions, but why give Wilder something to think about? On paper both strikers would have got a goal- instead our Billy got two and to rub it in gave sparky a massive hug mid sulk!

Only seen Brooks in the reserves. Better than Reed?
Different mate, Reeds size seems to be holding his progression up in my eyes. Players like Scholes didn't just have incredible talent but also had a nasty/tough little streak that helped his talents flourish. Obviously later in his career he had players like Keane there to protect him and do the dirty work, unfortunately young Reedy seems to have neither. I'm a fan of Reed, just mentioning Scholes hopefully highlights that but he's a lot to learn and I think his physical discrepancies might be his downfall.
Brooks on the other hand could very well be a new Murphy.
I don't tend to stick my neck out on youth players but I will here and I've noticed Wilder has name dropped him a few times, this could be a big season for him.

For what its worth, I think sparky was right to be annoyed. He was completely wide open, not once, but twice! Hindsight is alright saying well sharp scored, but McNulty was the best option and can understand his annoyance.

Him and Sharp are mates and he's popular in the dressing room.
I'm not sure about that mate, I know I shouldn't use the T word but I'm sure some of Sparky's mates on twitter referred to him as Bully Sharp. It was later claimed to be spelling mistake but I'm not completely sold on that. I can imagine him having his fair share of mates in the changing room though, seems one of the "lads".

Brooks is a real talent (released by city' as too small) he's grown and will fill out in the next few years city may have missed a trick here as he has the ability to go all the way, just needs patience and a bit of time to mature we could have got a real nuggett in him.
Man City? Like I said I know very little about him, I assumed he'd come all the way through our ranks.

Was saving the same, the lad is only 18 and showed already he's comfortably better than league two level.

He usually plays centre mid and will be just behind Fleck come start of the season.

I didn't go but saw the goals and I'm glad Sparky was mardy. It shows he wants to score and thats what I want up front, someone who wants to get on the score sheet. I also think he was better placed than Billy but he also wants to score.....exciting times to come!

Should we be slightly concerned how slow Duffy has started?

Good player Brooks, he has grown a bit as well

For what its worth, I think sparky was right to be annoyed. He was completely wide open, not once, but twice! Hindsight is alright saying well sharp scored, but McNulty was the best option and can understand his annoyance.

If Sharp had missed . If boot was on other foot with McNulty he would have hot pigs abuse.

Perhaps it's a Edwards Curran thing .

UTB

Should we be slightly concerned how slow Duffy has started?

He was involved in two goals yesterday including that excellent through ball for Sharp. (well I think it was him?!). I wasn't impressed with him at Halifax but thought he was much better yesterday.

He was involved in two goals yesterday including that excellent through ball for Sharp. (well I think it was him?!). I wasn't impressed with him at Halifax but thought he was much better yesterday.
I thought the through ball was from fleck and the cross for the first was from sharp.
I will take your word for it though because other than sitting bellow pitch level at Bradford once,yesterday was the worst seats I've ever had at a match.

I thought the through ball was from fleck and the cross for the first was from sharp.
I will take your word for it though because other than sitting bellow pitch level at Bradford once,yesterday was the worst seats I've ever had at a match.
you must have been sat near me ;)

Diabolical view

Aye the cross was Sharp but I think it was Duffy who played it to him, though I could also be wrong as I was sat right at the front too.

You know your seats are shit when the substitutes are blocking your view!

McNulty's reaction there is understandable. Sharp has three separate opportunities to pass to him, the first of which would've been an open goal, and it's only a friendly so the eventual goal doesn't even matter that much. The right thing to do there was to pass it, and McNulty's not using hindsight with his reaction. That sort of reaction doesn't necessarily indicate a greedy player, but a player who wants and expects his team mate to do the right thing for the team.

It doesn't surprise me to hear DCL looked good. He's not had much time on the pitch for the first team previously but I have seen something in him, and maybe the combination of settling into the first team and L2 opposition brought out a performance in him.

Last edited:
As well as the corner flag for me! At least we had a close up view of Brooks' excellent ball control and trickery. A bit reminiscent of George Best I thought
Grey I think we had the same seats, if so I apologise for my dad coughing the entire game but on the plus side- that probably is why I'm so high on Brooks this morning.

Back
Top Bottom