Dave Bassett is now 70

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Doesnt look that old!

When I was a nipper all 70 year old men looked like this man

659772-elderly-man-in-flat-cap-at-air-show.jpeg

Hope he makes the century and is at our 150th celebrations.....(and yes, pedants, I know it's only 25 years...and he only needs to get to 95!)
Thanks for the memories!

I can't believe it's 25 years ago that he started showing me that following United didn't always have to be about blind faith and endurance - it could be exciting, entertaining and pure unadulterated joy. I've since found that it can also be heart sinkingly bad and arse clenchingly tense. But Bassett's years will always be my favorite.

The back to back promotions, the double over Wednesday and a trip to Wembley all came whilst I was 14-18. I can nearly say that Dave Bassett made me the man that I am :)

Best blades manager in my time following them.

Well I'm 33 and as my Avatar shows the worry of being a Blade has had no effect on me at all....

Best manager for me , uncle Col , did give us some great years ,
But will always be Sir Dave's years in charge that will be my fondest of following the Blades ,
When you look back it wasn't great football , but by fuck did that team play for the club and us ,
no passengers in any of his teams , not many great footballers either but players that put on our shirt
and tried every week to get a result because they knew it mattered .
Leicester away , the game v Forest for our first win , the goals at QPR that meant we stayed up ,
the thumpings we gave teams on our back to backs ,
D & A up front , the seven in a row against good teams .
Hope Mr Clough gives us the same good times over the coming years , and maybe at the 150 he'll be voted our
best manager then , by the next generation of Blades .
UTB .

Best manager for me , uncle Col , did give us some great years ,
But will always be Sir Dave's years in charge that will be my fondest of following the Blades ,
When you look back it wasn't great football , but by fuck did that team play for the club and us ,
no passengers in any of his teams , not many great footballers either but players that put on our shirt
and tried every week to get a result because they knew it mattered .
Leicester away , the game v Forest for our first win , the goals at QPR that meant we stayed up ,
the thumpings we gave teams on our back to backs ,
D & A up front , the seven in a row against good teams .
Hope Mr Clough gives us the same good times over the coming years , and maybe at the 150 he'll be voted our
best manager then , by the next generation of Blades .
UTB .

Actually when we were doing well you could put up with the football being direct. I thought Bassett in his day was well underrated and we did play some decent stuff at times. Problem was we were usually under the cosh against bigger teams and superior players so lumping it long was an outlet.

I always think Brian Deane was so underrated and was better with the ball at his feet than on his head.

Some of the games and goals were out of this world as well. In microcosm our win over Man United in the cup was everything we were and could achieve. Hodges goal was a thing of beauty and we played out of our skins against a team who everyone thought would turn us over.

Back
Top Bottom