CW- His signings so far

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Higgo's Belly

Reaction score
CW is clearly having to buy players from the bargain basement, due to financial constraints from the board, however his budget is still the envy of many other League One clubs. Now pre-season is over and the season has started, its possible to make any early assessment of his signings so far.

MOORE 8/10 Possibly at fault for the goal against Oxford, however already looks a vast improvement on Long. Very vocal, organises and appears confident, which is exactly what we've been lacking. Early signs are that this will be an astute piece of business.

HUSSEY 2/10 Very poor defensively and his much talked about expertise, regarding set plays and crossing have yet to be witnessed. Regularly over hits his crosses and his corners have often been very poor. Doesn't look fit to lace the boots of a fully fit Bob Harris and appears to be a very poor League One left back, at best.

WILSON 6/10 Had no expectation when he signed that he would be any great shakes, however he has performed better than I expected. Probably only signed as a 2nd choice right sided centre back, but has not looked out of place. At fault with a goal against Southend and tends to just lump it forward, but overall has done well.

O'CONNELL 6/10 Made costly mistakes against Southend and Millwall, however has performed well in other games, including at left back against Oxford. As a young player he will make mistakes and will only improve with games. Could be a future captain and will prove to be an excellent signing.

WRIGHT 7/10 When he was signed, it had all the signs of being a case of the manager looking after an old pal, however he could prove to be a lot more than that. Should only be a 2nd choice left sided centre back, but showed from his performance against Oxford that he wont be a weak link, if he is required to play. A great vocal leader and will probably only be on low wages, so a very good value for money signing.

FLECK 6/10 Showed early promise, but due to the style of play so far has not been able to flourish, as the ball has constantly been lumped forward from back to front, bypassing midfield . Due to this he has struggled to influence games, like I'm sure he can. Will undoubtedly be a good signing as things settle down and the team gels.

DUFFY 5/10 Had a good game against Oxford, but has not done a great deal in the other games. Not gone past defenders and his crossing has been poor. Sure he will get better and prove to be a good signing.

CLARKE 6/10 Missed a ridiculous number of chances against Crewe, however in the other games he has not really had much of a sniff at goal. Difficult to fault him though, as his effort so far cannot be questioned. The main problem though is that there have been no signs of a partnership developing with Sharp, so it appears that CW cannot play these two together. Will always score goals at this level and is a good value for money signing.

CHAPMAN 3/10 Difficult to award him a mark, as we've hardly seen him since he signed. A very puzzling signing as I cant see why we have signed him, if he is just going to sit on the bench. Strange that we sign him and then play Done and Scougall on the left ahead of him. Can only think that Middlesbrough are paying most, if not all of his wages, otherwise this appears to be a very poor signing.

Chris WILDER 6/10 Obviously not been allowed to bring in the players that he would like, however he has still been backed more than most other League One managers, who can only dream of being allowed to pay a transfer fee for a player. The policy of signing the best players from other League One teams, such as Fleck, Clarke and Duffy, after he was in the League One team of the season, seems a good idea.
The signing of Hussey was poor, unless his performances drastically improve and if not a replacement will be required. Although no managers signings all work out, we cannot afford many more of these sort of mistakes to be repeated. Likewise the signing of Chapman, at this time does not appear to be a great piece of business. Hopefully CW will not replicate what Adkins did in chasing players like Dan Burn, who he was never going to be able to sign. The bid for Webster at Millwall, seems similar, as Millwall were clearly never going to sell him to us for peanuts, in the knowledge that they would then have to sign a replacement for him.
Overall CW signings have been fairly good, however as is always said in a school report, he could do better.

I think in order to be able to judge them properly they need at least 10-12 games. Wright has played just once, as you say, Chapman has hardly figured.

With Chapman, with us struggling, its very difficult time for him to be thrown into games, especially from the start. I suspect we'll see more of him as we get a more settled side and we become more consistent.

If the combined average rating of the signings is 5.4 and you've given Wilder 6, I think you may need to re-evaluate your rating strategy.

I'd also like to ask, under what circumstances are you rating these players?
Minutes on the pitch?
Creativity?
Your personal views after watching all the matches these players have played in?
Is there a minimal number od matches they have to appear in before you give them a rating?
What is the "bargain basement?"
What are the financial constraints?
How have you determined this factor when applying your ratings?
What is/was his budget for transfers/wages/signing on fees/agents, etc etc ?

Just a few questions I think you could answer, looking forward to your balanced response.

Thank You.

LYDON on behalf of no one, but if they'd like to add any more thoughts to the OP, welcome along.

What is this budget that's the envy of the league?

Can someone put a figure on it?

MOORE 8/10 Possibly at fault for the goal against Oxford???
Similar to what Long was crucified for, but what about the defence not responding and stood watching?
Clarke and Sharp looks likes it's off the menu. One or the other.

amazing how people seperate players out into those they like and those they dont

the op obviously likes Fleck so comes up with excuses why hes not been good , not been gelling enough yet
if hes not seeing much ball why isnt he fetching it, you could argue
doesnt like hussey so hangs him out to dry, no excuses like hes as new and might need time to fit in for him, maybe he doesnt know which side some players like taking delivery of a ball yet
lets get shut though dont like him

we really dont need scapegoats selection after 5 games do we

All I would say is, we have won 1 game. How anyone can currently be rated more than a 3/4 (unless they have clearly stood out, which they haven't) would be surprising. However, as said above, too early to give full ratings. Don't think any of them are better than average League 1 players so far though.

If the combined average rating of the signings is 5.4 and you've given Wilder 6, I think you may need to re-evaluate your rating strategy.

I'd also like to ask, under what circumstances are you rating these players?
Minutes on the pitch?
Creativity?
Your personal views after watching all the matches these players have played in?
Is there a minimal number od matches they have to appear in before you give them a rating?
What is the "bargain basement?"
What are the financial constraints?
How have you determined this factor when applying your ratings?
What is/was his budget for transfers/wages/signing on fees/agents, etc etc ?

Just a few questions I think you could answer, looking forward to your balanced response.

Thank You.

LYDON on behalf of no one, but if they'd like to add any more thoughts to the OP, welcome along.

Appreciate your questions and more than happy to give a response.

As stated in the first paragraph of my post, it was only ever meant to be an early assessment of CW signings so far and like many posts on a football forum, is totally opinion based. Clearly the ratings will fluctuate as the season progresses, however as stated, it was only ever meant to be an early assessment, which perhaps some of those replying have not taken on board.

Don't think I need to re-evaluate the rating strategy, as CW rating was done after taking into account all the circumstances he has to work under when signing these players, such as a reduced budget, compared to previous managers. The signing of Chapman (who I gave 3/10) reduced the combined overall rating of the players, however it should be taken into account that we may not be paying all or any of his wages. Without this knowledge and with his limited time on the pitch, as I stated in my post, its difficult to give Chapman a rating, however if we aren't contributing much towards his wages, this signing may not be as strange and poor as it appears.

You ask what is the bargain basement. Put simply, when you are reduced to signing a left back from Bury for a nominal fee, a centre back from Oxford, who has been deemed surplus to their requirements or a centre back who has been playing for Oldham.
With regard to your question, what is/was his budget for transfers/wages/signing on fees/agents etc
As you know, nobody other than those in the know inside the club, are going to be privy to that information. However it is clear that CW transfer budget is much reduced compared to previous managers, however as stated before, other League One managers can only dream of being able to pay a transfer fee for a player.

CW rating was done after taking into account all the circumstances he has to work under when signing these players, such as a reduced budget, compared to previous managers.

Would you rate CW 6/10 based on the results so far?

Would a signing from a club in the Evo-Stik Premier be classed as bargain basement?
Lower than Football League status.

On results alone definitely not 6/10, however I do rate him 6/10 for his signings. After releasing and signing so many new players, with hindsight it was probably always going to take time for the new players to gel. Like everyone I hoped we would come flying out of the blocks, but hopefully it will all come together as the players get to know each other. The optimism for this season was probably naive and was brought on by my belief that we were only that bad last season, due to Adkins.Yes, Adkins was horrendous, however I like others were probably naive to believe that CW could sort out the mess from last season and then put together a promotion winning side in just a few weeks.

If we are honest the signings have been mixed... Hussey in particular needs to step up his game if he wants to keep his place.

But I'd argue that's symptomatic of more or less an entirely new team getting to know each other and a new manager. We shouldn't forget that There is only sharp, basham and done who were regulars last year in the 11 ATM and that's it!

We can't judge after 5 games. By the end of sept / oct we will have a better idea of this side and how it's performing.

Agree, that I would like to see chapman get a few starts tho, so we can see what he's bringing to the party... Maybe tonight will be a first chance for him to show what he can do

I will wait to judge.

We did sign the best left back in the league we were told.

God help this lad from Northampton then if he is the 2nd best then.

Back
Top Bottom