Craig Alcock - best start ever?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Man of the Match on our ratings in three games of his first four games. Unprecedented?

Notable how Posh fans spoke well of him on "View from Posh" the other day.

Very encouraging, and he played two games out of his favoured position!!

Makes you wonder whether Ferguson knows what he's doing, though he did change his mind and want him back but it was too late.

One up for our scouts in a mixed bag up to press this season (early days though).

Not knocking him but MOMs only tend to go to defenders when you lose :)

Good luck to the guy, looks a decent signing at this level and hopefully, he'll continue as he's started so we can forget about a certain bearded player.

I did mention in an earlier post that he would be a good signing - used to watch him regularly in his early career and always gave 100% - did have a back injury that kept him out the game for a while if I remember correctly. Really pleased he is doing so well with us - yeah, Ferguson dropped a clanger IMO.

That's the answer, we want more cock in the team! Not enough of that type of attitude, cock by name, cock by nature. Craig is clearly a battler who knows his limitations and plays within himself, so a good signing by Cloughie, despite the mutterings of the doom and gloom brigade. UTB

not sure, but I thought Vas Borbokis had a better start, but my memory plays tricks these days!

Fair play to Alcock though he's been outstanding, especially as he's played in not his first choice position a couple of times
Yes,Vas Borbokis,the one and only,absolute leg-end.

On Alcock,brilliant aquisition and until i see Wallace play in a blades shirt,the best signing of the summer.What a RB he is,ain't he Sothall_Blade :D

Last edited:
Tony Currie had a remarkable debut as an 18 year old. Played as striker unless my memory is playing tricks.

Mel Rees wins it for me, but 2 goals on debut is impressive. These three have done it:

Tony Daws, vs Blackburn 1986-7
Bobby Davison, vs the Pigs 1992 (as mentioned above)
Paul Furlong, vs Portsmouth 2001-2

Has anyone done this more recently?

Jostein Flo had a good start goalwise, I seem to recall.

He didn't score on his debut at Everton on 21/8/93 but then got one in each of his next 3 matches v Wimbledon H, Ipswich H and QPR A.

Alan Birchenall 1964. Debut v Stoke away, next game at Hillsborough scored both goals and then went on to score 9 goals in his first twelve First Division games( Equivalent Premiership).

So in 125 years of "starts", we're being asked if someone starting in the third tier, in a team with a record of L2 W1, is making the best start to a Blades career ever.

I think I can say with almost 100% certainty that the answer to the question is. NO.

Indeed. And though he's been very solid, I would suggest the MOTM awards are mainly due to not having too much competition as yet!

Indeed. And though he's been very solid, I would suggest the MOTM awards are mainly due to not having too much competition as yet!

Maybe on S24SU ratings, if we need to be literal?

Nobody can have done any better, that is a fact.

Last edited:
I think he got the MOTM awards purely because everyone other player around him had been pretty useless. That said I still think he is a decent signing and the sooner he grows a beard the better.

According to one poster on here he's just an average clogger who boots the ball anywhere!
Love it! ;)

It was definitely the case in the Bristol game. He looked like his feet were on the wrong legs.

He's just another of our "steady" signings. Decent and reliable defensively but technically limited. Certainly nothing to be pissing our pants over.

Back
Top Bottom