Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jehovah

Reaction score
What is going on. He has been awful since we signed him, yet he is picked consistently. Its starting to really do my head in that he keeps getting a short after numerous awful performances. No goals, no assists, 57656465667 misplaced passes.

I watched some of the warm up yesterday. They played a form of 5v5 keepball. Unbelievably Coutts gave the ball away on all 3 occasions I saw his team lose it.

Amazing isn't it? He looks totalllys useless. Perhaps Clough knows something we don't, but it's the wrong part of the season to be hoping things turn around. Let's hope he acknowledges this very soon, because replacing him is an obvious way of improving the team.

UTB

He looks like a once good player who may have been terminally compromised by serious injury. We'll see either way over time.

he cant pass.. he cant cross.. he cant shoot.. cant tackle... has zero awareness of where other players are .. he's a bit stronger than most and stays on his feet which is just about the only thing good i have noticed about him, but that alone cannot keep you in a team. As my dad would say he's a "nowt player" adds nothing to the team whatsoever and needs replacing .

When we signed him, like most of our signings under Clough, I had never heard of him and didn't have the first clue about him. However, people described him as a good technical player. Someone who could pick a pass, create space and drive us forward. On the basis of this, I was quite excited about seeing him play.

From the first minute of his first game, to the last minute yesterday, everything I have seen of him has been absolute dog shit. To say I have been disappointed in what I have seen would be a massive understatement. He can't run with the ball, he can't play a simple pass and his shooting is diabolical. It's like watching Monty without the work ethic or occasional successful tackle.

Clearly his face fits, though, so we'll be seeing plenty more of his wayward passing and inaccurate shooting. Sad times. :(

Simple one this in my opinion

Clough has favourites and is so stubborn he finds it impossible to admit when they play poorly .

Who put that flippin link to a great goal he scored? HE WAINT FRIGGIN SHOOT. He's a big lad as well, why is he not getting in the box even for corners?

He looks like a once good player who may have been terminally compromised by serious injury. We'll see either way over time.

JD , agree , but one thing we ain't got this season is time . Maybe Coutts and Wallace were a worthy risk , due to perhaps being class players , recovering from long term injury , but not for a overall promotion push season , unless this season was meant to be just part of the overall building plan. Hope both come good , but the question is when.

Utb

our bad run has coincided with his signing and being "first name on the team sheet" but I very much doubt he'll be dropped

I remember seeing him play for Preston a few years back and seeing this young strong lad, who could win tackles, drive forward with the ball and pick a killer pass, I said at the time we could really do with a player like that, apparently he started off at Derby just as well, then came his bad injury. When he came back The Derby fans said he just didn't look the same player and was quickly relegated to a bit part player off the bench.

Alarm bells should have rung when Derby were so quick to part with him, the injury has completely finished him mobility wise.

I feel sorry for him in the way I feel sorry for any player who more or less gets a career finished by injury, but I am angry we have now been lumbered with yet another passenger on a decent contract and a decent weekly wage. (See J. Wallace)

players we need to get shot of if/when clough leaves
coutts
j Wallace
higdon
s Davies (may be slightly harsh)
b Davies
alcock
mceverly
campell ryce

barring these we actually have a decent squad, we need 2/3proper CBs and a good midfielder

Coutts is a strange one, since he came in ive listened to Radio Sheff commentary a few times and others and they speak of his great range of passing and how he keeps the ball. I've seen most home games and Notts Co away since he arrived and I find that if anything he gives the ball away more than most of the other players.

Against Scunny I could sort of see what Clough saw in him, footballing wise. he kept the ball well, worked hard and played good, simple passes. It seemed to allow Baxter more space, but it was Baxter playing the incisive attacking balls, Holt linking up with the attack and the two wingers (and fullbacks) making the attacking runs to put Scunny under pressure. It seemed like we were carrying him a little, although he didn't do a lot wrong, just did his job.

With most players you can see what they bring to the side. I feel like he's a bit of a Leon Britton, does his job, doesn't get involved in the danger areas and doesn't step out of his comfort zone. In summary I don't see from the short time he's been here (and he does need time to settle properly) how he fits into the Clough set up.

Doyle and Baxter will probably see out the season better once Doyle gets beyond the yellow card amnesty date. I think with doyle you get more energy and guile plus he seems to have worked on his passing

I wrote an OP after seeing him play twice and said I saw a player with good strength, composure and technique. One who doesn't give up possession, plays with his head up and had a telepathy with Brayford.

I take it back.

His main problem must be a result of his injury. He's limping before we kick off and has a condition which severely hampers his mobility. Never mind Baxter not being fit look at this lad. Maybe his condition restricts his day to day training and he will never be any fitter or more mobile. Hes certainly not a box to box player and has become another main reason why we cant play 4-4-2. It's so frustrating. He's not worth a place anyway but Clough always picks him so we cant play 4-4-2 which means Done cant play central striker now that Davis is here. What a cock-up.

That's not the be all and end all but it's all about blending him with players who complement his style and basically do all his running for him. He needs players to be moving for the ball and is always there for the return. In our current side there's not enough movement and tippy tappy is insufficient when its not progressive up the field.

In the right side he might be OK. He's not in the right side though.

He has been disappointing, I expected more.

He's definitely our new scapegoat though. There was one on Saturday where Coutts was steaming forward at pace and Murphy had it on the right touchline. Murphy played it square but behind Coutts as opposed to in front for him to run on to. All the crowd got on Coutts' back. Heaven forbid moaning at Murphy (the golden boy), who was equally as shit on Saturday.

He has been disappointing, I expected more.

He's definitely our new scapegoat though. There was one on Saturday where Coutts was steaming forward at pace and Murphy had it on the right touchline. Murphy played it square but behind Coutts as opposed to in front for him to run on to. All the crowd got on Coutts' back. Heaven forbid moaning at Murphy (the golden boy), who was equally as shit on Saturday.

Good point !

Its interesting to note though ..... when he has the ball, look to see who is moving off the ball to give him passing options. Recently the answer is nobody. He's often left with only a square or backwards pass or a difficult ball through a defender because nobody makes runs off the ball. They all stand around like lemons and make themselves easy to mark. We do not have a single "effective" midfield player in the squad at L1 level and our midfield must be, quite likely one of the worst in the Division.
UTB & FTP

Good point !

Its interesting to note though ..... when he has the ball, look to see who is moving off the ball to give him passing options. Recently the answer is nobody. He's often left with only a square or backwards pass or a difficult ball through a defender because nobody makes runs off the ball. They all stand around like lemons and make themselves easy to mark.

Yes but that's negative :rolleyes:

When he does try and force it, he loses it and then gets booed.

he cant pass.. he cant cross.. he cant shoot.. cant tackle... has zero awareness of where other players are .. he's a bit stronger than most and stays on his feet which is just about the only thing good i have noticed about him, but that alone cannot keep you in a team. As my dad would say he's a "nowt player" adds nothing to the team whatsoever and needs replacing .

The above comment 'he can't pass, he can't shoot, he can't tackle and has zero awareness of where other players are' could have been applied to every single player on Saturday !
I would not single out one player but say to the squad 'Grow a pair and go out there and show the paying public what you can do '!
They are all highly paid 'Professional Footballers' on Saturday they looked like a Pub team playing the last match of the season with nothing to play for !!!
Whilst the moronic element were baying for 'Clough Out' did they not see him on the touchline being much more frustrated than we were ?
Saturdays performance was down to the players - whether they, like many of our so called supporters think we just have to turn up to get three points then I am sorry, it doesn't work like that - The fact we had near on 20,000 watching does not give us a god given right to win - the sooner the players and the idiots in the crowd take that on board then we may start to progress !

I've only seen him play vs Port Vale but I thought he was ok. Remember one wicked cross and a strong run down the right. We need the balance to be right in midfield more than anything else so maybe that is why he still gets picked. Here's hoping he gets better and like Basham things start to click and work out.

Doyle and Baxter will probably see out the season better once Doyle gets beyond the yellow card amnesty date. I think with doyle you get more energy and guile plus he seems to have worked on his passing

Not convinced the card amnesty thing isn't just another smokescreen like the Collins Calf.
Coutts just doesn't deserve a shirt from what I have seen so I think that is just press deflection bullshit.

The tempo was better when Doyle entered the fray on Saturday despite conceding the late goal - where Benny fucked up in closing his man from the short corner and Murphy just watched on.

Back
Top Bottom