Could be up against a recent manager soon then?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
Sources local to Doncaster Rovers have supposedly leaked that Danny Wilson is about to be unveiled as the new gaffer over there. The bookies have obviously got win of this because the odds have shot in to 1/6 on with Lee Clark the next best at 5/1.

I know this forum will probably have a few from each sides of the fence when it comes to Wilson after all he took us rather close but personally I don't think he is anything overly special and I wasn't blown away by him. This isn't due to his pig side of the city connections either.

I think as far as being equipped for this League goes, Danny Wilson had the best tools at hand for the job. He had some quality in that squad for this league including that Welsh forward who found his feet that season. But overall whilst we weren't world beaters our squad should have been considered head and shoulders over most if not all in that league and for this reason I think it was incredibly difficult for Wilson to underachieve, all he had to do was put them out on the pitch and they would most likely perform. The likes of Evans and Williamson could hit the net and we would win games.

And it for this reason that I personally am not overly worried if Wilson gets the Doncaster Rovers job. I don't think they have the same quality of player that we had over at our place and he is just setting himself up for a repeat of his failures at Barnsley most recently where he had a staggering 30% win record.

Never the less good luck to him I suppose but I won't be wishing him any points against us, nor do I want his Doncaster team to finish anywhere above 7th place.

I liked Wilson, he played some of the best Football i've seen at Bramall Lane, then again he had a team way too good for League 1. Think he's a bad choice for Donny though, his 2nd stint at Barnsley looked very poor to me.

Staggering if true. I can't believe how many chances he gets with such a poor record. One promotion to the PL with a Barnsley team that was decent before he took over and one with Hartlepool from L2. In about fifteen years.

Staggering if true. I can't believe how many chances he gets with such a poor record. One promotion to the PL with a Barnsley team that was decent before he took over and one with Hartlepool from L2. In about fifteen years.

But he has, I'm told on good authority, the second hardest handshake known to man (after Chris Morgan), so he must be a top bloke.

I think Doncaster are on a huge cost cutting exercise these days, in fact I read somewhere that over the last 2 seasons they have doubled in debt.

Danny Wilson is without club and on the back of his last job I don't think it will take much of an offer to get him on board. I would imagine that he still lives relatively local to the area as well therefore it all makes perfect sense for Donny.

Wilson is a very decent bloke if not pretty limited manager.

I would have liked him to have succeeded with us, and he would have, were it not for he who shall not be named.

Wilson might have had good players but he still had to turn them around from the bunch of losers they were when he found them.

I wish him the best but can't see him succeeding at Donny. Or anyone else for that matter.

Donny have some good players and if Wilson can get them performing to a similar extent he did with our players they'll improve quite a lot on where they are now because they're underachieving considerably. He's a steady manager at League One level, will never do anything special nor will he ever be a disaster. I really wanted him sacked at the time but Clough's second season has made me soften my stance on him a bit.

Staggering if true. I can't believe how many chances he gets with such a poor record.

Blades win percentage nearly 52% over 106 games. How many Blades managers have topped that?

The equivalent of Steve McLaren, how he keeps getting jobs I will never know.

Now that's easy. Its his win percentage! Not doing well at Newcastle but Derby 95 games nearly 54% wins.

Blades win percentage nearly 52% over 106 games. How many Blades managers have topped that?
How many Blades managers have had a squad thats far too good for the division they're in, also boasting a 35 goal a season striker?

Wilson should have got us up.

How many Blades managers have had a squad thats far too good for the division they're in, also boasting a 35 goal a season striker?

Wilson should have got us up.

I'm sure something happened with his top striker that completely demoralised the entire team.

We were in the play offs, he might have got us up but he was sacked.

Oh and how many Blades managers have topped his win percentage of nearly 52% over the entire history of the Blades?

I'm sure something happened with his top striker that completely demoralised the entire team.

We were in the play offs, he might have got us up but he was sacked.

Oh and how many Blades managers have topped his win percentage of nearly 52% over the entire history of the Blades?
His record against his direct competition was woeful and cost us in the end. 0 points from Charlton, a draw and defeat against Wendy, one win and a defeat against Huddersfield, a win and a loss against MK and a loss and a draw against Stevenage. That's 8 points from 10 games against the top 6, there's relegated teams that picked up more than that.

What he assembled was a team of flat track bullies, but he didn't have the tactical nous you need to beat sides of a similar quality.

I'm not saying he was a disaster, but he wasn't the messiah. We could have appointed a number of managers better suited, that team was capable of passing the 100 points mark.

I'm not saying he was a disaster, but he wasn't the messiah. We could have appointed a number of managers better suited, that team was capable of passing the 100 points mark.

How many Sheffield United managers have topped his win percentage?

Do you give in then Danny?

Danny Wilson has the highest win percentage of any permanent manager in our entire history.:)

Now that's easy. Its his win percentage! Not doing well at Newcastle but Derby 95 games nearly 54% wins.

Perhaps that suggests win percentages aren't the best way to assess managers.

How many Sheffield United managers have topped his win percentage?

Do you give in then Danny?

Danny Wilson has the highest win percentage of any permanent manager in our entire history.:)

Probably no one, but like I say, he had the very best side in the league, a side far too good for the division boasting a 35 goal a season striker - a lot of our managers would get that or higher with that side in a division so poor, not many of our managers have been that lucky.

Like I said, his record against his compeition was woeful. That's why he can't be considered as anything other than a failure.

Probably no one, but like I say, he had the very best side in the league, a side far too good for the division boasting a 35 goal a season striker - a lot of our managers would get that or higher with that side in a division so poor, not many of our managers have been that lucky.

Like I said, his record against his compeition was woeful. That's why he can't be considered as anything other than a failure.
It's simpler than that. His job was to get us promoted. He failed.

Perhaps that suggests win percentages aren't the best way to assess managers.

That's like suggesting you wouldn't assess a striker by goals scored per game.

Top 2 managers ever in the Premier League by win percantage?

Jose Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson.

That's like suggesting you wouldn't assess a striker by goals scored per game.

Top 2 managers ever in the Premier League by win percantage?

Jose Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson.
Neither of those would have had the chance to have the highest win percentage in the PL unless they'd won trophies on a regular basis.

No one assesses a striker on goals scored alone. It's just one of a number of things, the combination of those thing being called 'context'. Otherwise, non league players with 1in 2 ratios would be getting signed by PL clubs.

Actually, fuck it, I don't care about Wilson and I don't care about Donny.

Mosbo, BTL, you're absolutely right, he's a genius and Donny will go up under his stewardship.

No one assesses a striker on goals scored alone. It's just one of a number of things, the combination of those thing being called 'context'. Otherwise, non league players with 1in 2 ratios would be getting signed by PL clubs.

I've got news for you Bushblade, non league players do get signed by Premier league clubs. They are scouted mostly as lads for their Sunday league side.

Wayne Rooney 99 goals in his final season for Copplehouse Boys.
David Beckham 100 goals in 2 seasons at Ridgeway Rovers. To name but 2.

I do agree that 1 goal in 2 games probably wouldn't raise a Premier League eyebrow, but what about Jamie Vardy 66 goal in 107 games for Stocksbridge Park Steels.
I'll raise that with Charlie Austin 48 goals in 42 games for Poole Town.

Or our very own Che Adams 9 goals in 16 games for Ilkeston.

I tell you what if we had a 1 in 2 striker we wouldn't care if he sat on his arse for 89 minutes if he scored every other game. Keith Edwards? Mind you now he just talks out of his arse.

Last edited:
I've got news for you Bushblade, non league players do get signed by Premier league clubs. They are scouted mostly as lads for their Sunday league side.

Wayne Rooney 99 goals in his final season for Copplehouse Boys.
David Beckham 100 goals in 2 seasons at Ridgeway Rovers. To name but 2.

I do agree that 1 goal in 2 games probably wouldn't raise a Premier League eyebrow, but what about Jamie Vardy 66 goal in 107 games for Stocksbridge Park Steels.
I'll raise that with Charlie Austin 48 goals in 42 games for Poole Town.

Or our very own Che Adams 9 goals in 16 games for Ilkeston.

I tell you what if we had a 1 in 2 striker we wouldn't care if he sat on his arse for 89 minutes if he scored every other game. Keith Edwards? Mind you now he just talks out of his arse.
I didn't say that though did I? Players have always been signed from non league sides.
Unlike some of the examples you gave, Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce both played non league as adults.

I said 'on goals scored ALONE' which you conveniently contrived to not make bold.

Back
Top Bottom