Connor Coady

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
being reported on bbc football page that coady is being lined up to move to wolves for £2 million, apparently Huddersfield only paid £375k for him.

Now either Clough did not want him or he did not want to come, either way we missed out on 1) signing him for £375k and 2) having a player who,would now be worth £2 million. Let's hope NA can unearth a similar type of player as he was sadly missed last season. In an ideal world let's hope James Wallace is that man!

He wouldn't necessarily be worth £2m after a season in L1.

Poor bit of business though for both us and Liverpool. They should have offered him to us for what Udders ended up paying and stuck a sell on clause in there.

Not as good as wallace according to.some on here this time last year

I think that is what Clough thought.

James Wallace for £free or Coady for £375k. The gamble seemingly back fired

or the fact when we enquired the price was £1m and when Liverpool realised they were never going to get a million they dropped the price.

didnt we pay some compo for Wallace? or was that just McGahay?

I think that is what Clough thought.

James Wallace for £free or Coady for £375k. The gamble seemingly back fired

I think the historical version was Coady for a then £1 million plus, or others who might do the same, if not better job. By the time Coady's price had dropped Clough had already bought 'his' midfield.

I think that's going to be Adams or Diego. I predict at least one of those two will earn themselves a reputation next season.

Good move for him. Class player for us and I hope him leaving Liverpool and taking a drop down to the Championship pays off and he goes on to fulfil his potential.

I liked him for almost half a season but a £2m player he is not..... Unless he's vastly improved over last season

He wouldn't necessarily be worth £2m after a season in L1.

Poor bit of business though for both us and Liverpool. They should have offered him to us for what Udders ended up paying and stuck a sell on clause in there.

Always rated Coady . If we had £2m to spend on a player (s) , my money would be on 2no £1m plus , CBs . We have enough midfielders for two teams.

Did Coady turn us down under the Clough reign - we will never know.

UTB

Conor parked next to me before the play off semi 1st leg against Swindon at the lane. I walked up to the ground with him and his mate and I asked him why he had come over. He said "To cheer on the Blades."
I asked him if he had a place in Yorkshire as he was with us and then Huddersfield but they had travelled over from St Helens just for the game. He said he really enjoyed his time with us and I got the
feeling that he would have joined us given the chance. I told him once a blade, always a blade to which he replied, "That's right mate."

Think the 1m thing was a smokesreen ( was just a story in a iverpool supporters magazine ) and I don't believe we ever really went in for him

If clough paid 1.5 million after the season he had with us I would have been so happy. I was surprised to see him go to Huddersfield for only £375k

I liked him for almost half a season but a £2m player he is not..... Unless he's vastly improved over last season

It is strange how fans see players differently - I personally think he is worth every penny.

From his very first game when he came on as sub, his quality and ability was obvious.
He actually wanted the ball from defenders and gesticulated to them all the time to give it to him - most strange to our players as very few others actually did it.
He has a great first touch, can score a good goal and always looked forward first - quite typical of how Liverpool school their players - a fact told many times by Alan Hansen when on MOTD.
He gets forward, can cover and as we progressed in the FA Cup against the better teams his quality stood out.

Wolves haven't got a bargain, but they have paid what is needed to try and get out of that division. With Macca pulling the strings from deep, and Coady allowed to get forward, Wolves are going to be there or there abouts. Good, as that is one less place for the piggies.

UTB

A very decent player at his best, but I thought he often went missing when the chips were down.
StevieG-lite and a decent player in this crappy league but I'm not sure he is worth £2m.

An 'Uddersfield supporting mate likes him but is very happy to get £2m.

FWIW I cant see Wolves being anywhere near promotion to the promised land.

Coady always sounded just as gushing and enthusiastic about the blades as Brayford. I think agent-talk did for that deal. A lot was made of what Liverpool wanted for him at the time and it sounded steep and I think everyone was surprised to learn what Hudds paid for him in the end. Like itsinyerblood said, Clough had already filled the position. I still maintain Clough made some very good decisions on paper but hardly any of them translated to the pitch. Gambles nearly all failed and he didn't have the faith in his convictions with others. Could've worked beautifully but didn't.

Was poor for half a season and ok for the rest. Surprised to hear hes fetching 2 million.

Was poor for half a season and ok for the rest. Surprised to hear hes fetching 2 million.

Thats becoming the market rate for up and coming English born players , and why clubs look at recruiting from abroad , were it is said , you get more value for your money . That said , we have a influx of mediocre foreign players in all leagues .

Be interesting if we shop abroad or stick to what we know , with minimum risk

UTB

And there it is. The unknowing making assumptions as to why we didn't sign a player. Blaming Clough as usual. Why not haul his brother into it as well and you get get a royal flush.
well now that you mention it :D

Bit harsh. Agree he was poor to start with but by the end of the season he was playing very well for us.
Good attitude as well, remember when Clough first took over he shoved him out wide for a bit and I don't recall hearing him complaining or sulking, he just got on with it.

He was a decent player, but he was always going to be a bit of a gamble and one for the future. Our gambles and ones for the future come from non-league (Adams) because we're in League One. We need proven players if we're spending money and, though impressive in some games, did not do enough to suggest he was anywhere near the finished article I don't think.

We should not be spending £375k on someone who would not have been an instant starter and, in my opinion, will not go on to be better than Louis Reed.

He was a decent player, but he was always going to be a bit of a gamble and one for the future. Our gambles and ones for the future come from non-league (Adams) because we're in League One. We need proven players if we're spending money and, though impressive in some games, did not do enough to suggest he was anywhere near the finished article I don't think.

We should not be spending £375k on someone who would not have been an instant starter and, in my opinion, will not go on to be better than Louis Reed.
Why not? £375k isn't a large amount even in this league and he'd already shown he was a good player who suited our style. It wouldn't have been a huge gamble and whether his potential is a great as Reed's is irrelevant. He was far better ten months ago, capable of maintaining a regular first team place, than Reed was and we were supposed to have been trying to get promoted last season.

Why not? £375k isn't a large amount even in this league and he'd already shown he was a good player who suited our style. It wouldn't have been a huge gamble and whether his potential is a great as Reed's is irrelevant. He was far better ten months ago, capable of maintaining a regular first team place, than Reed was and we were supposed to have been trying to get promoted last season.

He showed he might be a good player. He hardly dominated week in week out. I'd comfortably file him under gamble in terms of one for the future and we can't have too many of them. Reed was free, Adams was pretty much free. That's the level we're at financially.

Do you honestly think that in aiming for promotion, Coady was the missing link? I liked him, but he wasn't that good.

Our team would have been an hell of a lot better with Coady in it rather than not in it, that must be easy to see surely.

We must get better players than what we have and Coady is better than all our midfield at present and can do a great job at CB like he has done in many, many games for Huddersfield last season. Yes, that position in the middle of defence.:rolleyes:

We sell a CB for £2 million or whatever, get one in who can also adapt to Midfield for £375k and selling Maguire might not have looked half as bad. Incidently, how both of these transfers never materialised in the right way for us is something we'll propably never really find out.

Bit harsh. Agree he was poor to start with but by the end of the season he was playing very well for us.
Good attitude as well, remember when Clough first took over he shoved him out wide for a bit and I don't recall hearing him complaining or sulking, he just got on with it.

I just dont see what exactly he brought to the table other than being able to complete simple passes. He rarely scored or got an assist. He just struck me in the second half of the season as a steady player. I would ask serious questions if we paid 2 million for him in the championship.

Back
Top Bottom