1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connor Brown

Discussion in 'General Blades Chat' started by Webding, Apr 21, 2012.

to hide all adverts

1. Deadbat

Deadbat Member

.....but a jury has found him guily. All 12. Maybe they did get it wrong. Maybe he is innocent.

However, they have decided she was not one of the above things and have had 10 days a lot more than the bits and pieces we have seen in the press to go on. They were in court for 10 days was it for 3 or 4 hours each day and had countless witnesses, CCTV, questioning of all parties, police statments etc and will have been given an absolute ton of evidence much of which we will have no idea and never will have any idea what it was.

All of that jury were in a far, far, far better position to make a decision than any of us on here who are using bits and pieces to guess certain things. I am sure we ca agree on that?

United need to do the right thing and terminate his contract I am afraid. He cannot fulfill his terms of employment and we cannot be associated with an employee who is not by UK law a rapist, whether we like it or not.

He may appeal but lets be honest I am unsure how that will change anything. If there was any evidence to present for the defence it will have been presented. Of course any appeal is going to take months (prob up to a year) and by the time anything does come to fruition his United contract will have ended at the end of June anyway.

His United career is over and I think we need to move on. Its been a sorry affair and as a club we have done nothing wrong. We need to continue to show some class in making the right decision in the next few days.

Again just my opinion.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deano

Deano Active Member

It wouldn't be the first time a jury has got it wrong. It just doesn't add up. Ched was stupid getting involved but I still cannot accept a verdict of rape was fair given the facts that have been reported. And the info that is already coming out about the alleged victim suggests she isn't the innocent girl next door the media portrayed her as.

Ched was a hero 48 hours ago and I'm not going to start slagging him off on the basis of a verdict I regard as shocking and a travesty.

And for those saying they don't want to go to the matches anymore........... or they don't know what to say to their kids..........or that Ched's goals should be wiped off...............get a f'kin grip.

Thanks for the great moments this season Ched. UTB
  4. Deadbat

Deadbat Member

The thing is; the facts that have been reported are nowhere near everything that was said, reported, shown in a courtrrom for 10 full days. I am unsure how we all seem to know all the facts unless any of us are in the courtroom. Yes, the jury may have got it wrong. Only Evans and the girl involved know the truth.

However, I am unsure how we can calll the verdict a travesty unless they were able to know the same as the jury.

Maybe the truth may come out as being different to the decision made eventually but at the moment we have to accept the decision and move on as a club. If Evans appeals that is up for him but the club has no choice. Anything but a termination of his contract and we will be villified as a club.

The comment about now knowing what to say to their kids and to get a grip is another startling comment. As I saw a another foum a young boy was in tears as his Dad rightly said his son shouldnt wear his 9 Evans shirt today. Not exactly the nices thing for a Dad to have to go through in telling him why he should not wear it.

Most people who are Blades have behaved with real class in this whole mess but surprised and disappointed with a few on some forums and comments I have heard. Maybe that makes me a sanctimonious so and so but I do believe the longer this drags on the worse it will get. United need to act swiftly on Monday morning in terms of doing the right thing; get the whole staff tooegther and speak to them (after some of the ridiculous outbursts etc) first thing and get them focused on what they have to do as professionals.

Going back to the football, the next 2 weeks is the most mportant in United's recent history. If we fail to get promotion we could be stuck in this division for many years. We have to beat Stevenage and Exeter for god sake. If we cant do that we dont deserve to get promoted.
    TopBoy likes this.
  5. metalblade

metalblade Well-Known Member

I do think SUFC are doing the right thing by not jumping to a hasty decision, as a club we will be vilified from some quarters no matter what we do. Far better to take the approach that they have than make a knee jerk reaction. All angles need to be considered, one being a possible appeal which will need to be lodged quickly. Ched's days at United are over will publicly kicking him while he is down make us look any better than just letting his contract run out ?
    As it stands SUFC have done nothing wrong and to suggest that they have (yes I have seen posts saying SUFC should apologise to the girl) is frankly unbelievable.
  6. Deadbat

Deadbat Member

Just a interesting aside...if you or anyone had been convicted of rape and sent to prison would your company/business keep you on?

I think we all know the answer to this. Unsure why a football club should be any different.

Sadly United have to do the right thing and terminate his contract. We may not like the decision, we may not think it is right (although unsure how people know one way or the other when they were not in court for 10 days) but a decision has been made based on the UK legal system. As it stands he is guilty of rape and is currently imprisoned and cannot fulfill his contract/employment of which he has breached anyway so he simply cannot and should not work for us.

If he appealed and it was overturned it is going to be 10-12 months down the line. As those in the legal profession will surely testify this is not something that is going to be changed overnight or even in a fe weeks. Can United honestly keep him on/extend his contract? No.

United have behaved in the right manner so far but I am not sure terminating a contract of an employee who has been sent to prison for 5 years for rape is a hasty decision. It seems a no brainer to me. Again just my opinion.
  7. broomhillblade

broomhillblade Well-Known Member

On BBC Radio Sheffield, in the pre-match build-up, I thought Keith Edwards sounded a bit emotional when talking about Ched. I got the feeling he was not happy with the verdict, and would have liked to say more, but of course he had to choose hi swords carefully.
  8. broomhillblade

broomhillblade Well-Known Member

I think you're in a minority on here Deadbat. A lot of people feel that the jury got it badly wrong.
  9. Deadbat

Deadbat Member

I too think from what was reported and seen it was a shock decision and one that on the face of it seems odd BUT I and none of the rest of us were in court for 10 days and did not have the masses if imformation the jury had.

I had the same snippets eveyone else had and did not see and hear everything. I am amazed everyone seems to be an expert on law and convinced the jury got it wrong when they were not in court. The fact is 12 people found him guilty and they had far more information to go on. Maybe they did get it wrong but they had a lot more information to make a decision than any of us.
  10. metalblade

metalblade Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but it is barely 24 hours ago since the conviction.............. a conviction which to many even people with no connection or affiliation to SUFC seems to be shall we say a little bit dodgy
  11. Foxy

Foxy Administrator Staff Member

There's a lot of stuff going around at the moment, a number of rumors and a few campaigns on Twitter seemingly picked up by a number of local welsh... as well as some Blades.

Can I remind people that it's a very sensitive situation and any rumours posted could get both the poster and us as admins in a lot of hot water, so please continue to post sensibly and constructively!
    WhiteHawk likes this.
  12. The MeiSter

The MeiSter Member

No, they don't 'need to do the right thing', as it's debatable what the 'right thing' actually is. They should await the result of the appeal process and then act on that.

I will be very disappointed in the club if they sack Evans before we know if an appeal will be granted. It will split the fan base whatever they do, so as usual we have a no win situation to deal with.

Let's not forget that if Chedwyn wins an appeal, he is an innocent man - albeit a very lucky and naive one.
  13. The MeiSter

The MeiSter Member

I'm amazed that so many people have seen the jury's verdict as the be all and end all of the matter - he is 'guilty as charged', therefore let's all leg it to the stone pile before it's empty.

Our legal system in my view, has been shown to be a laughing stock yet again with this decision, and it is high time that very serious and notoriously 'difficult to legally assess' court cases are dealt with by professionals, not a bunch of amateurs dragged off the street.

A mistake has been made, and regardless of whether he ever plays for SUFC again, I would like to see Ched Evans get aquitted - as he rightly deserves.
    WhiteHawk and stannyblade like this.
  14. Crazyblade

Crazyblade Member

Sorry Meister couldn't disagree with you more. Have you heard all the evidence in Court? Those 12 of the Jury did and came back with a Guilty verdict.

Ched Evans is a convicted rapist.

That's it, as far as I'm concerned. SUFC should cancel his contract immediately, and move on. His appeal (and any subsequent acquittal if it happened) is not our concern nor should it be.
  15. TarquinDelouche

TarquinDelouche of all people.

12 people also heard the evidence given to them and sent down the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six.

Just because a jury of 12 people hear a girl say she's been raped, doesn't mean it happened.
    WhiteHawk and TAMUS like this.
  16. grafikhaus

grafikhaus Active Member

Or, say, if you're an England manager you get to shag anyone within sight and the normal 'gross misconduct' clauses in everybody's contract don't apply. In fact you'll get a multi-million pound extension to your contract.

Anyway, back on topic, it's becoming increasingly obvious that football clubs need to include mentoring and psychological counselling in the brief for young footballers.

Never before have unintelligent and overpaid young blokes had the opportunity to use techological Tourettes such as Twitter and Facebook. These 'media outputs' are just plain evil and allow people to spout the kind of rubbish you'd expect to hear at closing time in a pub.
  17. Linz

Linz Administrator Staff Member

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere, there's a few threads running...

SUFC statement: http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~2745391,00.html

And from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17810574

18. Balham Blade

Balham Blade S24SU Seer

Given that Terry Kennedy has been tweeting his support too (albeit without the attacks on the character of the complainant that Connor Brown made) it might be time for United to reiterate the responsibilities of every single player at the club. Harry Maguire has had [unrelated] issues with Twitter this season too.

That said, there's a poster earlier in this thread calling for Brown to be sacked. That's a complete over-reaction: a written warning would suffice.

Out of interest, what's happened to Brown? I thought he was the next big thing for United - I heard he damaged his knee, has that had an adverse effect?
  19. Bladesman

Bladesman The Great Grumbleduke

I know Kennedy is injured as well mind you that's coz he tweets about it all the time.
  20. Flatulent_Bob

Flatulent_Bob Well-Known Member

He's been injured and recovering from said injury.
  21. Balham Blade

Balham Blade S24SU Seer

That's not good news then; hasn't it been best part of 2 years?