[CONFIRMED] Another shit manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

P

pommpey

Been away holidaying over the Bank Holiday so it was a bit of a shock when my mate texted me to say NC had been booted out.

With all the tickertape rejoicing and sirens going off and celebratory fucking of each other's back passages, are we misunderstanding something a bit here?

Clough got us physically as far as he can with some pretty sub-standard players. Sure he fell out with Collins, for example, but had he played him in place of any of the central back two, could we honestly be here right now saying we won it and we won it good? Collins wasn't Maguire and he wasn't Paul Beesley or Eddie Colquhoun. He was pretty shit without Maguire anyway, as much as they argued. We are all saying 'he' brought in the players ... but is that totally true? I mean, if the Prince is/isn't/we don't know in on the finance deal here, don't you think Clough would have aimed a leeetle beet higher than players like Coutts and Holt and (for fuck's sake) Higdon?

I can understand the 'Negative Nigel' comments. Sure, we didn't exactly go on the hunt last season and spent most of the time picking the ball out of the net from a goal from nowhere. But we have had eight managers now since Warnock. We are wallowing in a fucking mudpit like a massive dinosaur, trying desperately to find a foothold.

I am very interested in all these names being bandied about but ask yourselves the serious, disconnected-from-anything question now. McCabe offers you the job at Sheffield United that under him, eight other managers have tried and to a man, either vanished out of existence (or sadly died). One of the most notorious names in football has just tried it and even when 'backed up' by 'Saudi money' (my quotations) produced a team of sub-mediocrity which continued a run of failed attempts to get our of the third tier of English football. Its not just a poison chalice any more. It is career death.

Now ask yourself the real question - what is wrong with Sheffield United.

The common denominator.

pommpey

Nothing wrong with Sheffield United in name, but this season was a season of building a team to challenge for promotion, sad thing is NC ran out of bricks and mortar in other word he missed some vital supports in CB'S and attack, any manager that comes in will address this as we have all said these areas are vital for a winning team, we can only wonder if NC lost his way after his fab start. I hope it will be exciting times to come with hopefully a vibrant attack minded manager.

we keep employing shit managers. just because we had 8 shit ones before though doesn't mean that shit one number 9 gets to keep his job does it?? that is illogical

Before Clough was fired I was in the "keep him"camp, chiefly because I thought that if anyone was capable of making a dreadful choice, it was us.

Now he's gone, I'm not sorry - he was the author of his own demise in my view - but I worry about what will happen next.

Clough has his flaws but he was too savvy to, say, plunge us into a relegation struggle. That is more than can be said for his predecessor.

McCabe offers you the job at Sheffield United that under him, eight other managers have tried and to a man, either vanished out of existence (or sadly died). One of the most notorious names in football has just tried it and even when 'backed up' by 'Saudi money' (my quotations) produced a team of sub-mediocrity which continued a run of failed attempts to get our of the third tier of English football. Its not just a poison chalice any more. It is career death.

Our reputation as a club and standing within the hierarchy of English football has in my view never been lower, from the aspect of our league position and also because of our revolving door policy on managers. And because of this, the calibre of those who may want to take on this job will be low. Talk of Allardyce, McClaren, Di Matteo (!) are pie in the sky nonsense, and yet I see on various media formats these names being derided as not good enough for us!

Clough made mistakes this season, of that there is no doubt. The spine of the team was not good enough, especially at the back, and he should have dealt with it. But it doesn't need major surgery to do just that, and Clough did concede that was an area he had to act fast on. But now we are again behind other competing clubs who can offer contracts while we are stuck looking to find a new manager who then will need time to assess the squad and its requirements before going into the market.

Any new manager may have to agree a one year contract, because if you don't get promotion you are out. And that promotes a short term outlook which isn't healthy. For his faults, Clough does have a number of players he has brought on and brought in that will be better for the experience they have gained under his tenure. Will this be a consideration any more?

this one season and you are out is a myth.. if you play decent entertaining football.. battle with passion and don't make schoolboy management mistakes AND come 5th and lose in the PO i reckon the fans would cut you some slack actually.. we aren't stupid. You can be arrogant and good at your job .. or you can be a good bloke and average at your job.. you will get away with it.. but the situation never to be in is to be arrogant and crap at your job. this is true for all walks of life

this one season and you are out is a myth.. if you play decent entertaining football.. battle with passion and don't make schoolboy management mistakes AND come 5th and lose in the PO i reckon the fans would cut you some slack actually.. we aren't stupid. You can be arrogant and good at your job .. or you can be a good bloke and average at your job.. you will get away with it.. but the situation never to be in is to be arrogant and crap at your job. this is true for all walks of life

Did the fans sack Clough? The majority of fans cut Clough some slack as you put it. The owners still fired him.

They demand promotion, and if the next bloke doesn't do it next season he'll be out. And any prospective manager would be a fool to think otherwise.

No excuses he had full control of the ins and outs, it's the Clough way and was possibly a big part of his downfall when he told the owners he wanted to buy half the Derby or McBlackpool team
Who should have responsibility for scouting though? The club or the manager?
What strikes me is that whilst the Derby thing was Clough's, we were signing players from Scotland and Blackpool before Clough came. Coincidence, or are we trying to play money ball?

Who should have responsibility for scouting though? The club or the manager?
What strikes me is that whilst the Derby thing was Clough's, we were signing players from Scotland and Blackpool before Clough came. Coincidence, or are we trying to play money ball?
Don't know for fact but would imagine Clough. His brother was head scout and the board wouldn't be scouting for players or they might have found a striker and a couple of CH's

Did the fans sack Clough? The majority of fans cut Clough some slack as you put it. The owners still fired him.
They demand promotion, and if the next bloke doesn't do it next season he'll be out. And any prospective manager would be a fool to think otherwise.
good. it's about time.. i was talking about 'fan pressure' .. of course the board are in charge but they obviously felt the same as many of the fans and i suspect will do on the subject in the future.. they have to watch this crap as well and they are also fans.
most people seem quite positive .. except the usual suspects.. ironically they are now in conflict with the board that they normally clap at every opportunity
good decision board. Well done.

It's a similar situation (only 100 times worse) at Blackpool. It doesn't matter who they bring in as manager with Oyston calling the shots.

Clough wasn't a bad appointment on paper so we have to give the current Board some slack even if McCabe undoubtedly still has a massive say.

we can only wonder if NC lost his way after his fab start.

And again, the Clough myth. He came in at game 14 (home to Crewe) in season 2013/14. At kick-off, we had 9 points. After game 27 (again, Crewe away) we had 26 points. that's his first 14 games, with 42 points up for grabs. Clough got 17. A fab start. :rolleyes:

Been away holidaying over the Bank Holiday so it was a bit of a shock when my mate texted me to say NC had been booted out.

With all the tickertape rejoicing and sirens going off and celebratory fucking of each other's back passages, are we misunderstanding something a bit here?

Clough got us physically as far as he can with some pretty sub-standard players. Sure he fell out with Collins, for example, but had he played him in place of any of the central back two, could we honestly be here right now saying we won it and we won it good? Collins wasn't Maguire and he wasn't Paul Beesley or Eddie Colquhoun. He was pretty shit without Maguire anyway, as much as they argued. We are all saying 'he' brought in the players ... but is that totally true? I mean, if the Prince is/isn't/we don't know in on the finance deal here, don't you think Clough would have aimed a leeetle beet higher than players like Coutts and Holt and (for fuck's sake) Higdon?

I can understand the 'Negative Nigel' comments. Sure, we didn't exactly go on the hunt last season and spent most of the time picking the ball out of the net from a goal from nowhere. But we have had eight managers now since Warnock. We are wallowing in a fucking mudpit like a massive dinosaur, trying desperately to find a foothold.

I am very interested in all these names being bandied about but ask yourselves the serious, disconnected-from-anything question now. McCabe offers you the job at Sheffield United that under him, eight other managers have tried and to a man, either vanished out of existence (or sadly died). One of the most notorious names in football has just tried it and even when 'backed up' by 'Saudi money' (my quotations) produced a team of sub-mediocrity which continued a run of failed attempts to get our of the third tier of English football. Its not just a poison chalice any more. It is career death.

Now ask yourself the real question - what is wrong with Sheffield United.

The common denominator.

pommpey

If you fail, you'll at least get a decent pay off & then unto the next job.

Lets be honest here. most managers are egotiscal.... If you were offered, a decent salary (for league 1 standards) a wage budget better than most in L1 & also the Championship, with facilities & fanbase to match. Finally throw in Saudi money. And also the potential to awaken the team & club from its slumber & become a legend. Most managers would snap your hand off.

So, who'd take the job? Clough isn't a fool, and is a football manager, moreso than Wier, better slightly than Wilson (IMO) and better by far than the rest since Warnock.

Think about it. This fast rotation of managers is getting us nowhere. I swear, once Clough has all his stuff packed and is off premises, you'll start to gather some home truths about 'his' players he brought in. I refuse to think he is so tactically and technically inept to actively sign such horseshit as Coutts and Holt. I am still of the unfounded belief that given the investment he thought he was getting (which possibly brought him here in the first place) he would have hung onto Coady, possibly Maguire and certainly not signed a carthorse like Higdon.

Anyway. Once the new, McCabe-friendly robot is in place then we will see what he can do with the same set of underperforming, playing-leagues-above-their-ability players ... and we will see if the first massive earthquake of the new season isn't the sudden departure of Murphy to warm the bench of Norwich City or West Brom whilst the gaping hole he leaves gets filled with another fucking never-heard-of-him, Barry Oddnob.

pommpey

. But now we are again behind other competing clubs who can offer contracts while we are stuck looking to find a new manager who then will need time to assess the squad and its requirements before going into the market.

What worries me about that very good point is that it may be used as excuse to give the job to Morgan, after all he knows the squad and it's limitations. Huge gamble if they do...

>> I refuse to think he is so tactically and technically inept to actively sign such horseshit as Coutts and Holt.
this is where we don't agree mate <shrugs>

So, who'd take the job? Clough isn't a fool, and is a football manager, moreso than Wier, better slightly than Wilson (IMO) and better by far than the rest since Warnock.

Think about it. This fast rotation of managers is getting us nowhere. I swear, once Clough has all his stuff packed and is off premises, you'll start to gather some home truths about 'his' players he brought in. I refuse to think he is so tactically and technically inept to actively sign such horseshit as Coutts and Holt. I am still of the unfounded belief that given the investment he thought he was getting (which possibly brought him here in the first place) he would have hung onto Coady, possibly Maguire and certainly not signed a carthorse like Higdon.

Anyway. Once the new, McCabe-friendly robot is in place then we will see what he can do with the same set of underperforming, playing-leagues-above-their-ability players ... and we will see if the first massive earthquake of the new season isn't the sudden departure of Murphy to warm the bench of Norwich City or West Brom whilst the gaping hole he leaves gets filled with another fucking never-heard-of-him, Barry Oddnob.

pommpey
hehehehe you just know for sure Murphy will be sold a week before kick off, it's the Blades way, lets not pretend Clough was the next Mourinho though the bell end needed sacking probably the first correct decision from the boardroom all season.

It's being repeated so often that it's becoming fact in most fans eyes.

Clough finished miles away from automatic promotion. He built a fucking rubbish squad. Our end of season form was abysmal. He acknowledged none of this and refused to change. He bored huge sections of the supporters. The signs for next season were poor, after a year and a half in charge.

If the next manager misses out on automatic promotion by a whisker and the signs are good (invert what I wrote above), then I'm sure the manager will keep his job.

UTB

What worries me about that very good point is that it may be used as excuse to give the job to Morgan, after all he knows the squad and it's limitations. Huge gamble if they do...

Rumours on Blades Mad that the new bunch would only give it to Morgan if NW is made Director of Football. McCabe no likey.

Our reputation as a club and standing within the hierarchy of English football has in my view never been lower, from the aspect of our league position and also because of our revolving door policy on managers. And because of this, the calibre of those who may want to take on this job will be low. Talk of Allardyce, McClaren, Di Matteo (!) are pie in the sky nonsense, and yet I see on various media formats these names being derided as not good enough for us!

Clough made mistakes this season, of that there is no doubt. The spine of the team was not good enough, especially at the back, and he should have dealt with it. But it doesn't need major surgery to do just that, and Clough did concede that was an area he had to act fast on. But now we are again behind other competing clubs who can offer contracts while we are stuck looking to find a new manager who then will need time to assess the squad and its requirements before going into the market.

Any new manager may have to agree a one year contract, because if you don't get promotion you are out. And that promotes a short term outlook which isn't healthy. For his faults, Clough does have a number of players he has brought on and brought in that will be better for the experience they have gained under his tenure. Will this be a consideration any more?
I think Clough has made mistakes this year is a great understatement. 12 months ago we pretty well to a man went away thinking a couple of additions, a good pre-season and we were in for a great season. What we got was a complete disaster zone of a pre-season, the team did not look like a team and did not even look fit when the season kicked off. The additions did not look any good (apart from Alcock) and we did not retain our better players. Clough presided over this. He had money and chose not to be "held to ransom" so ha can blame no one else.
As the season panned out we all sat back thinking this must improve, we will start pressing teams at home. we ill start scoring goals. None of this happened. We expected replacements to be signed at centre half and a goal scorer, wrong again. Clough spent all this time thinking McCarthy was a great signing, and that O'Grady or Davies were the only strikers in the universe.

We could all see that Basham had turned his season around and was needed in midfield to add presences and mobility. Clough provided another midget for midfield and no centre back cover.

We could all see our defence was not up to it, the manger continued to play a defensive formation and draw teams on to us. Do we remember the great start at Walsall followed by playing NO-ONE up front!

I could go on! The board have seen all this and more. They are much closer to the day to day happens than most of us and have rightly taken the only decision they could. Any criticism they deserve is on tardiness at arriving here, although that is understandable given what happened when Wilson left.

Well done the board and make the next decision both timely and correct.

I think Clough has made mistakes this year is a great understatement. 12 months ago we pretty well to a man went away thinking a couple of additions, a good pre-season and we were in for a great season. What we got was a complete disaster zone of a pre-season, the team did not look like a team and did not even look fit when the season kicked off. The additions did not look any good (apart from Alcock) and we did not retain our better players. Clough presided over this. He had money and chose not to be "held to ransom" so ha can blame no one else.
As the season panned out we all sat back thinking this must improve, we will start pressing teams at home. we ill start scoring goals. None of this happened. We expected replacements to be signed at centre half and a goal scorer, wrong again. Clough spent all this time thinking McCarthy was a great signing, and that O'Grady or Davies were the only strikers in the universe.

We could all see that Basham had turned his season around and was needed in midfield to add presences and mobility. Clough provided another midget for midfield and no centre back cover.

We could all see our defence was not up to it, the manger continued to play a defensive formation and draw teams on to us. Do we remember the great start at Walsall followed by playing NO-ONE up front!

I could go on! The board have seen all this and more. They are much closer to the day to day happens than most of us and have rightly taken the only decision they could. Any criticism they deserve is on tardiness at arriving here, although that is understandable given what happened when Wilson left.

Well done the board and make the next decision both timely and correct.

That's all very well but I'm fairly certain the board were going to keep Clough as manager for next season..until the recent meeting.
Clough, being stubborn like he is, probably ripped into them about something or other...and they turned round and said 'on yer bike'..or or words to that effect...

Seem's to me that the board had absolutely no idea about appointing a new manager...I mean they must have a 'Clough exit plan'...mustn't they?

It's being repeated so often that it's becoming fact in most fans eyes.

Clough finished miles away from automatic promotion. He built a fucking rubbish squad. Our end of season form was abysmal. He acknowledged none of this and refused to change. He bored huge sections of the supporters. The signs for next season were poor, after a year and a half in charge.

If the next manager misses out on automatic promotion by a whisker and the signs are good (invert what I wrote above), then I'm sure the manager will keep his job.

UTB

You might well be right on the last paragraph, but the basic premise of "up or out" will remain in the thinking of any manager who considers the position based on recent history.

I'd contest that the squad is fucking rubbish. Unbalanced and lacking in key areas, yes. And you could argue that Clough has paid more attention to the medium term player development than to the here and now. But there is more than enough talent in that squad that allied with a few key acquisitions should be able to entertain and win us promotion.

Back
Top Bottom