complacency/low tempo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SW12 UTB

Reaction score
That was what was to blame today, turned up clearly expecting to put 4 or 5 past crewe. I remember back to before these three home games when clough was asked about getting 9 points, and he said "no, we have to be reasonable". The players looked as if they thought "oh we've done enough with 6 points , we don't need to win today." That's what it looked like to me!

It was incredible how slow it was today, no one showing any urgency AGAIN, no matter how bad a team is, if you play as slow as what we did today you'll never break them down and outscore a team

The question is though...why? Why have the players suddenly lost their confidence after winning 4-0. That for me is a serious motivation issue in the dressing room. Now I'm not calling for clough to be sacked now, but his position will be seriously under threat if we don't go up, and has to go if we don't even reach the play offs.(which is becoming increasingly likely likely)

The least I ask for when I watch united Is a bit of passion. That was no where near good enough today. Not the first time this season either!

Agree

Can't see how Coutts gets a shirt. Not fit enough especially with Baxter in there. Midfield too slow and no movement. We only worked the gk twice where Howard had at least 5 to deal with. Very slow and low on energy. We called the winner so predictable. Every sub is too late and too safe. Murph looked knackered so should have used Che to spark it up. Ben Davies poor delivery when came on. It's weak and low tempo. The defending for the two goals right out of Sunday league. Worries me about the energy and the will to win never mind the quality not showing. Don't work the oppo gk anywhere near enough despite keeping ball for long periods. Players or Nigel? Both. I'd change things earlier and recognise when players aren't performing and sub them.

Agree

Can't see how Coutts gets a shirt. Not fit enough especially with Baxter in there. Midfield too slow and no movement. We only worked the gk twice where Howard had at least 5 to deal with. Very slow and low on energy. We called the winner so predictable. Every sub is too late and too safe. Murph looked knackered so should have used Che to spark it up. Ben Davies poor delivery when came on. It's weak and low tempo. The defending for the two goals right out of Sunday league. Worries me about the energy and the will to win never mind the quality not showing. Don't work the oppo gk anywhere near enough despite keeping ball for long periods. Players or Nigel? Both. I'd change things earlier and recognise when players aren't performing and sub them.
Yep, how the hell Coutts had kept his place is beyond me. He us fucking crap. It's like playing with 10 men.

UTB

Yep, how the hell Coutts had kept his place is beyond me. He us fucking crap. It's like playing with 10 men.

UTB
Holt was the only CM running today. Deserved his goal. Can't play Baxter and Coutts in same side until Coutts gets fit or Baxter has a lung transplant.

What a difference in five days low tempo today it's so frustrating.

Funny but i thought coutts was alright today compared to how he has been playing, got on the ball more and made some decent passes.In my opinion he did much more than Baxter . That said i'd have taken him off instead of Baxter as when you are drawing at home against a team in the bottom four, id kind of expect to see a cm off for a cm, rather than a cam off for a cm. Negative Nigel at it again eyy

We have no box to box midfielders that's the problem nobody to put some energy in the team, Baxter is a good player but not mobile enough so too with Doyle who is great at breaking up play and being the player to calm things but just as immobile if not more we have 2 great midfielders at this level with Coutts and Wallace however both are just not fit enough by a mile.

Not pushing the boat out for coady is our biggest mistake.

I'm not even sure it's fitness with Coutts. Surely being fit won't make his passing become markedly more accurate.

He just loses the ball 9 times out of ten, either by being tackled or just passing it to the opposition. I couldn't believe he wasn't brought off today.

Agree completely. One thing that Crewe did well was to close us down, all over the pitch. And when they did we panicked\fluffed\minced about to no effect. We should be better than that.

And how many crap passes today? Shocking.

I'm not even sure it's fitness with Coutts. Surely being fit won't make his passing become markedly more accurate.

He just loses the ball 9 times out of ten, either by being tackled or just passing it to the opposition. I couldn't believe he wasn't brought off today.
And 9 out of every 10 passes is sideways / backwards. Shipping out JCR and bringing him in sums up Clough perfectly.

UTB

Sounds like our nige is doing a bad job good

Barnsley keep on bringing in good managers why oh why can't we ? Lee Johnson's Oldham played us off the park earlier in the season and I fear for us next week now he has transformed the dingles. Don't you just love this Robson style sideways shite ? Clough don't do flair players he just wants dull boring plodders. Done came here banging goals in so what does Clough do puts him on the bench and brings him on on the wing, that will soon knock the goals out of him eh NN.

How bloody frustrating is it when on Tuesday they play so well and with great tempo and today it's all back to normal

I honestly believe a lot of the formation debates that we have been having all season are a bit academic if the team doesn't play with tempo

1 up front can work if the 3 behind are bombing up field and the ball is moved quickly but today the gap between them was ridiculous .. So 1 up front really was 1 !!!

I don't really understand how 2 games on paper can be so similar but yet our approach was so different

Sideways, backwards, misplaced pass, poor cross.

And repeat.

Tedious beyond belief.

If we lose to Barnsley, our advantage is virtually gone.

Holt was the only CM running today. Deserved his goal. Can't play Baxter and Coutts in same side until Coutts gets fit or Baxter has a lung transplant.

One day, a few more on here will wake up about Baxter. yes he has talent, but has zero stamina for even L1 football.
A CM player has to dominate the game for 90 minutes, not 60-70 and then keep admiring the passes he has just done.
No problem with his talent, in the same way that I (and others) didn't ever question Monty's commitment.
Neither of them, for different reasons just aren't good enough to play centre midfield - it is NOT just about talent.

UTB

And 9 out of every 10 passes is sideways / backwards. Shipping out JCR and bringing him in sums up Clough perfectly.

UTB

didn't see the game as I am away, but if Crewe closed us down then it's just another example. Have been banging on about this since Wilson, through Weir and now Clough. These managers just haven't taught the player show to play against teams that close us down - we are bloody useless at it. Alltems have to do at BDTBL is close us down and we don't have a fucking clue.

Scunny actually tried it on Tuesday, but were so slow at doing it, it actually gave us time on the ball - quite ironic really.

We have the wrong players for this division - that is now very very obvious.

UTB

Barnsley keep on bringing in good managers why oh why can't we ? Lee Johnson's Oldham played us off the park earlier in the season and I fear for us next week now he has transformed the dingles. Don't you just love this Robson style sideways shite ? Clough don't do flair players he just wants dull boring plodders. Done came here banging goals in so what does Clough do puts him on the bench and brings him on on the wing, that will soon knock the goals out of him eh NN.

They brought in Keith Hill from Rochdale who was doing well, fucked up Barnsley and is now doing well at Rochdale again.

They brought in Danny Wilson who was shit 2nd time round.

There is no reason Lee Johnson will be any good either at Barnsley - admittedly a good start at Oldham and Barnsley. Lee Johnson will be judged when he has to bring his own players in - Clough was fabulous last season with someone else's players - then looked what happened.

UTB

A box to box midfielder who doesn't score or create? Much better CH

He might be OK at CH, but he isn't a CH, neither is Brayforrd, or Mceverly. We don't have any CH's at all.

Wasn't Crewe's 1st goal created right through our middle?

We have struggled all season with no centre halves to speak of.

It is and will continue to cost us.

UTB

Yep, straight ball through the middle and their striker easily spun off our defender and had the whole goal to aim at.

We need two centre halves in desperately, preferably one Morgan type and one Jags/Cahill type. We also need some strength and height in the team as we are a team of midfield midgets who easily get brushed off the ball and offer little at set pieces. Wouldn't mind getting in the big fella (number 34) that Crewe played upfront today, he'd certainly make defenders work a bit and probably offer more than Davies.

We called the winner so predictable..

Wasn't it just? In the minute or so before the free-kick, we had the ball several times and hoofed it. We ended up losing possession and they attacked, not with much intent, but enough for Davies (who was very poor today) to give away a stupid free-kick. They didn't score from that, but we managed to give a corner away and they scored from that instead.

Very frustrating, because although we played poorly, we did enough to get a point, hitting the post. Personally, I didn't see what was wrong with Davies challenge on their 'keeper, he has to go for the ball and the'keeper didn't look to have it under his control, but the ref will always go for the easy option..

He might be OK at CH, but he isn't a CH, neither is Brayforrd, or Mceverly. We don't have any CH's at all.

Wasn't Crewe's 1st goal created right through our middle?

We have struggled all season with no centre halves to speak of.

It is and will continue to cost us.

UTB

You're spot on. Basham could add the energy which is badly required in a defensive capacity. What we are seeing right now is because of a shocking transfer policy where 20 players have been brought in who haven't improved the starting 11 that finished last season and has no fucking leadership between them. I think some of them left their balls in the dressing room, saying that some of the fans left theirs in the pub too.

Back
Top Bottom