Clough should sit in the stand.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
I think he is getting over-emotional and that it hinders him doing his job properly.

He has past record in an incident with Billy Davies.

I posted on here just a few days ago that he should sit in the stands, keep calm and keep a clear head.

Last night's incident was no surprise to me. I can understand how the opposition manager can take exception to the antics of Clough and Garner during games. I'm not too concerned about other managers, it's more the effect of aggressive criticism on players that bothers me. Ironically I said that Morgan was a steadying influence.

Instinctively I understand why the Southampton manager would not shake hands. Clough emphatically stated he "couldn't care less", maybe with a bit too much emotion even a while after the event.

• Banned
Couldn't disagree more. Football is an emotional game ,take the emotion out at any level and you take away the soul of the game. Too much sanitization already ,manager spats add to the theatre.

As I said above, I'm not bothered about other managers, it's players' confidence that worries me.

We should get Danny Wilson back...

Clough did not need to care less. His team had won the game in emphatically and in style, whilst our pink faced edam eating tulip lover searched for excuses for an insipid performance from his own team. Koeman was shown up to be a grade A wanker last night.

Have to disagree with this, I'm afraid. We sit bang behind the dugouts, so we can see and hear most of what goes on. Nige is interventionist with the players, and he could do with laying off the officials at times, but he is generally far less emotional or irrational than many we could name, and many we have seen. Last night, he spent much of the second half leaning against the wall with his arms folded. While Garner, surely the most hangdog of any assistant managers, anywhere, anytime, spends most games shaking his head and generally looking miserable as hell. Koeman's issue, apart from losing the match, seems to have been Morgan swearing. During a high stakes quarter final, too ! Unforgivable.

Nigel has his doubters and his critics, but having a pop at him for being too emotional, apart from seeming wide of the mark to me, does look a bit like rummaging around at the bottom of the bin to see what else is left to fling at him. As suggested by others elsewhere, we should be grateful that we finally have a manager who isn't going to embarrass himself, the club, or us, every time he sticks on a tracksuit or opens his mouth. Can we really claim that over-emotion stopped him "doing his job properly" last night ?

Oh, and which honest and self-respecting man, woman or child hasn't at some time looked at Billy Davies and thought, "What a ****" ? Badge of honour for Nige on that one, for me .....

Bryan Robson or David Weir ? er

Now then Sitters, you know I don't want a change of manager, just a slight change of management style.

I should add that I think managers should generally sit in the stand where they get a better view of the game and are not drawn into wasted spats with officials and other managers.

I think he is getting over-emotional and that it hinders him doing his job properly.

I posted on here just a few days ago that he should sit in the stands, keep calm and keep a clear head.

Last night's incident was no surprise to me. I can understand how the opposition manager can take exception to the antics of Clough and Garner during games. I'm not too concerned about other managers, it's more the effect of aggressive criticism on players that bothers me. Ironically I said that Morgan was a steadying influence.

Instinctively I understand why the Southampton manager would not shake hands. Clough emphatically stated he "couldn't care less", maybe with a bit too much emotion even a while after the event.

Woodwardfan - you usually make good posts/comments, but your off the mark with this one.

Clough has a great balance of emotion, passion whilst also spending large parts of the game quietly leaning against the side of the dugout.

Out of all the recent managers we've had - Warnock, Robson, Blackwell, Wilson, Weir - I would say Clough is the most balanced.

I think he is getting over-emotional and that it hinders him doing his job cant beleave you can critproperly.

cant beleave you can complain at clough showing some passion its a battle while the game is on but at the final whistle all should be left on the pitch and the managers shake hands like the players.Any manager who refuses to do so is a jerk and i like most football fans and people within the game lose a lot of respect for them KOEMAN (hope i spelt his name wrong) was narked cus they had lost to the better team on the night.

I'm not on about our manager being passionate. I'm saying he is over-emotional at the present time. Earlier in the week I posted that I sat within 30 yards of him at Fleetwood and his behaviour was bizarre. He was red-faced, o.t.t. in bollocking players for the slightest mistakes, often turning to a bench which included young players amongst the subs and cursing mistakes by our players, he bollocked the linesman and referee in the most extreme ways possible, talk about panto season it was all there.

I'd mentioned it briefly after previous games and believe me there is an issue here. Is bollocking players and showing exasperation the best way to get the most out of your players? Of course it is not.

Then last night the handbags thing happened and I thought at the time "that's been coming" and it's symptomatic of what I'd been thinking. Of course after such an excellent display it is a bad time to bring it up but I hope Clough has his blood pressure checked regularly.

I'll leave it on the table.

I'm not on about our manager being passionate. I'm saying he is over-emotional at the present time. Earlier in the week I posted that I sat within 30 yards of him at Fleetwood and his behaviour was bizarre. He was red-faced, o.t.t. in bollocking players for the slightest mistakes, often turning to a bench which included young players amongst the subs and cursing mistakes by our players, he bollocked the linesman and referee in the most extreme ways possible, talk about panto season it was all there.

I'd mentioned it briefly after previous games and believe me there is an issue here. Is bollocking players and showing exasperation the best way to get the most out of your players? Of course it is not.

Then last night the handbags thing happened and I thought at the time "that's been coming" and it's symptomatic of what I'd been thinking. Of course after such an excellent display it is a bad time to bring it up but I hope Clough has his blood pressure checked regularly.

I'll leave it on the table.
Pinchy won't like hearing that
he was very critical of footballing dinosaurs like warnock for acting that way

Woodwardfan - you usually make good posts/comments, but your off the mark with this one.

Clough has a great balance of emotion, passion whilst also spending large parts of the game quietly leaning against the side of the dugout.

Out of all the recent managers we've had - Warnock, Robson, Blackwell, Wilson, Weir - I would say Clough is the most balanced.

, Mr Clough cannot win on this one . It is a case of dammed if i do , dammed if i don't.

If he was just sat in the dug out , or standing with arms folded , we would be saying he doesn't show enough passion , especially when results are not going our way.

Yes he has become animated in certain games , only because the players were not following instructions or making wrong individual decisions . Also stress cannot be getting to him , he has still got a good head of hair .

UTB.

Id say Clough has been the most measured manager we have had.

Warnock could got himself sent to the stands every now and then.

Robson looked like he did not know what he was doing and barely did anything.

Got to say that this is more like a post from Sherbert on FootyMad than thee Woody.

Way off the mark mate.

Southampton Manager was not impressed with something last night.

More of our fans should sit in the stand.

More of our fans DID sit in the stand than the officially reported 17 odd thousand on Tuesday. I sit in the John Street so could see South Stand: almost full - less than 100 spare seats, Kop: maybe 1500 spare seats, Bramall Lane: perhaps 2500 empty. John Street looked busy, so I'll cautiously estimate 2000 empty seats which puts the attendance at closer to 26000-27000.

Well I wondered how long it would take before someone found something that wasn't quite right about Tueday night. Just under 24hours from the final whistle we have this ridiculous post. The OP must have been scratching his head all day thinking up this topic with the thought 'I've got to find something that wasn't right'.

Look at Koeman's CV - played for and managed some of the top clubs across Europe. The reason why Koeman spat his dummy out was because on Tuesday night Cloughie outhought, otwitted, out 'tacticed' him. He was clearly embarrassed. And what do we say - Cloughie should sit in the stands.

For the OP to 'understand' Koeman's reaction is disrespectful to our manager and what he achieved.

I would like to say 'unbelievable' but you know what it isn't.

Nigel Clough and the Blades (supporters) fit together like hand in glove. Hard working, honest, passionate, giving 100% and with a degree of quality. The more passionate he is the greater the crowd will respond. We have to create an 'us against the world' attitude and I want Cloughie during the game to be a catalyst. Then after the game may he continue to remain dignified.

Let's start giving the guy some credit and stop trying to be clever with these types of recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom