Clean Sheets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
How many have we got through pre season?

Is it 2 against Ilkeston and Macc?

It seems like the oppo only needs 1 chance and it's a goal. Very happy with pre season in general and the unbeaten run, but the lack of centre halves and defence reinforcements in general with a week to go worries me.

Please Nigel, it's vital we get some in. We won't win enough games with a central defence as weak as it is now.

Not moaning before anyone says, just highlighting a worry. I'm sure plenty feel the same.

P.S, blades who are still bleating about McNulty, please shut up

Goals against Newcastle and Hull, 2 teams we won't play against in the league...

How many have we got through pre season?

Is it 2 against Ilkeston and Macc?

It seems like the oppo only needs 1 chance and it's a goal. Very happy with pre season in general and the unbeaten run, but the lack of centre halves and defence reinforcements in general with a week to go worries me.

Please Nigel, it's vital we get some in. We won't win enough games with a central defence as weak as it is now.

Not moaning before anyone says, just highlighting a worry. I'm sure plenty feel the same.

P.S, blades who are still bleating about McNulty, please shut up

Wow you are doing your best to endear yourself to the site. Well I suppose you did say please shut up.

Wow you are doing your best to endear yourself to the site. Well I suppose you did say please shut up.

Luckily I'm not here to endear myself to you or anyone else on the forum.

Apparently someone's shouted to Adkins to 'give McNulty a chance' and he's turned round and gave them a look. That was my point. couldn't care less about endearing myself to be honest.

Being brutally honest here and I'm sure I'll get alot of stick for this as per but i'm incredibly shocked and dissapointed we haven't got two centre backs in with 6 full days to go till the start of the season. We all knew since January we needed centre backs and still it seems the board haven't pushed the importance of it enough with Adkins, he doesn't know to the extent that we do how much our defence cost us last season so I don't blame Adkins, mainly the board for seemingly letting it be left till 6 days before the season to sort out, pretty frustrating really. Never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to think we'd have had an all round better squad at this time if Clough didn't get sacked. As much as his personality traits let him down, he looked like he really was going in for them defenders ASAP, top of his priorities. However through no fault of Adkins, we find ourselves in this position, 6 days to go, 0 centre backs. Typical United one could say.

I haven't had one since I was about twelve...but that's a whole other story...

We would be in a worse position under Clough, no doubt about it.

No matter how good the squad is, Clough could never get them over the line. He'd be getting 60% from the squad whereas Adkins will be capable of getting 110%

BUT he does still need to get a centre half or 2, it's vital.

We would be in a worse position under Clough, no doubt about it.

No matter how good the squad is, Clough could never get them over the line. He'd be getting 60% from the squad whereas Adkins will be capable of getting 110%

BUT he does still need to get a centre half or 2, it's vital.
The difference is we'd have probably had 2 centre backs by now under Clough, and that's pretty much all we were missing in terms of vital positions to fill. I don't know who exactly to blame for this but what i do know is that we have 0 centre backs so close to the start of the season.

Cue Bladesway with the panicking owl pic no doubt.:)

Collins man of the match today ,isn't he a centre half !
We do need one more but I'm sure Nigel knows this .

Hey !! don't knock it, last season we were crying out for a big lad up front and a C/H at least were half way there......:)

I know I am in the minority, however I am so glad we haven't done all our business early. Last season we did a lot early when we would have been better waiting for players such as Coady. Nigel stayed patient and got his man in Billy. How many centrebacks are there out there who are available that would be a huge improvement on Collins and McEverley. Let everyone get pre-season out of the way and a flurry of transfers and just wait for some quality to become available at the right price.

I think we have more than enough already to get the job done so I think we need to sit on this one

Being a critic of Collins, but after seeing him today, I would give him a chance under Adkins.

MCeverly is still an accident waiting to happen - we defo need a CH.

Could be the difference, between top 2 or 4th to 6th.

We have all the pieces in place except CH is a problem still.

UTB

I know I am in the minority, however I am so glad we haven't done all our business early. Last season we did a lot early when we would have been better waiting for players such as Coady. Nigel stayed patient and got his man in Billy. How many centrebacks are there out there who are available that would be a huge improvement on Collins and McEverley. Let everyone get pre-season out of the way and a flurry of transfers and just wait for some quality to become available at the right price.

I think we have more than enough already to get the job done so I think we need to sit on this one

No chance without a CH (at least one) in my opinion

Luckily I'm not here to endear myself to you or anyone else on the forum.

Apparently someone's shouted to Adkins to 'give McNulty a chance' and he's turned round and gave them a look. That was my point. couldn't care less about endearing myself to be honest.

No you are not. You mean it that much you said it twice. Lady and protesting too much springs to mind.

No you are not. You mean it that much you said it twice. Lady and protesting too much springs to mind.

Alternatively, it could just mean that I couldn't care less about endearing myself to folk who I don't know? Such as yourself.

Just a thought of course.

1 centre back is a must, 2 would be good, McNulty second fiddle to Sharp, Adams, Sammon and Done until he proves otherwise.

#teamdanny

Depends on who the CB is which is, why we need to wait for a bit of quality.

There are a few about, who for the right amount would become available.

Craig Morgan has already gone to Wigan - he would have been perfect. Captain material too.
But I suppose they can offer more than us so I won't complain too much.

Kyle McFadzean's tw@tter account's gone very, very quiet over the last week or two. Just saying like.

But it's taking a vast amount of time to get in someone to fill the one position that pretty much 100% of Blades agreed needed attending to 3 months ago. Quite baffling tbh - just hope it's because of the standard of player we're targetting (& the inevitable complexity of negotiations involved).

Anyway, whatever, it's impossible not to feel positive about how things are going at the moment. "Work in progress" & all that, but one that's coming on really well.

But it's taking a vast amount of time to get in someone to fill the one position that pretty much 100% of Blades agreed needed attending to 3 months ago. Quite baffling tbh

Well there must be a reason:
  • Adkins hasn't noticed
  • Adkins has noticed but with our limited resources is prioritising elsewhere: we're going to score our way to promotion - not defend our way to promotion
  • Adkins has noticed but there is no-one available at the right price, yet
  • Adkins is giving McEveley (who seems to be captain) and Collins in particular a chance
  • other
Like everyone I think we need a CH (or two) for cover if nothing else. Collins and McEveley are doing a much better job than last season, from what I've seen, but if one of them gets injured then we're possibly back to Basham covering, midfield is weakened and it all begins to look horribly familiar...apart from we might well be scoring a few at the other end.

CHs seem to be in demand across the Divisions, maybe it'll just remain a problem area for us, but no more than for any other team.

We do have limited resources and we can't just acquire all the players we want. Getting the most from what you've got is almost the definition of good management.

That said, it looks like some players may not fit in with Adkins' 4-4-2, and we may end up selling in order to buy, and maybe that's when a CH or two will arrive.

McEveley started last season ok, but after the handball at White Hart he lost it and made mistakes on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom