Chris Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
Last night I went to the Question of Sport event at Bramall Lane which was raising money for Yorkshire captain Andrew Gales testimonial event.

At the end of the evening I had the privilege of having a 5 minute chat with Chris Wilder. He is undoubtedly just as much a supporter as the man who sits on the Kop and the South Stand. I told him a little about myself and a lot more about Brownie Jnr, and that Brownie Jnr is 7, been going to the Lane for a few years, never seen anything better than League One, how Brownie Jnr keeps on choosing a different Premier League club to support, primarily because it has been that bad at the lane, about how earlier on this year I told Brownie Jnr that if he didn't want to go to the Lane any more then he didn't have to and I would stop taking him and find something different for us to do, as the football on the pitch was that poor, and the atmosphere around the lane was toxic, and how at the end of the season I left the Lane after the Scunthorpe match with 10 minutes to go in absolute utter disgust about how I felt about the United side. Then i thanked him for recent vast improvement in the football on display and told him that how it had got Brownie Jnr some enthusiasm back for supporting the Blades.

Chris Wilder had the look in his eye of a man who understood and comprehended every word I said to him, had a steely look of determination in his eye, and then thanked me for my kind comment, told me we still have a long way to go, and he is going to do his utmost to make our club as successful as he can do. He didn't need to say a lot, because through his body language, it was abundantly clear that he is a man who means business, it was also very very clear that he is a man who is happier judged on his deeds rather than his words. What struck me the most last night is that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever about who is calling the shots at the Lane nowadays, it is not the board members, or cliques as players but it is the manger, and he gave off a huge impression that he a honest, fair bloke who will do what he can to support his players and drive the club on, but he also gave the impression that he has got a ruthless, nasty streak when required.

We have had a lot of managers over the years, but I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we have a manager in place now, who is on his way up in the managerial game, has the potential to still get to the very top, but also a manager who is utterly driven and focused on the task in hand, and someone who I feel that can not only drag us kicking and screaming out of this Division but also have the ability and talent to ensure that we are formidable and can progress through the Championship as well.

The good times are coming back

Last night I went to the Question of Sport event at Bramall Lane which was raising money for Yorkshire captain Andrew Gales testimonial event.

At the end of the evening I had the privilege of having a 5 minute chat with Chris Wilder. He is undoubtedly just as much a supporter as the man who sits on the Kop and the South Stand. I told him a little about myself and a lot more about Brownie Jnr, and that Brownie Jnr is 7, been going to the Lane for a few years, never seen anything better than League One, how Brownie Jnr keeps on choosing a different Premier League club to support, primarily because it has been that bad at the lane, about how earlier on this year I told Brownie Jnr that if he didn't want to go to the Lane any more then he didn't have to and I would stop taking him and find something different for us to do, as the football on the pitch was that poor, and the atmosphere around the lane was toxic, and how at the end of the season I left the Lane after the Scunthorpe match with 10 minutes to go in absolute utter disgust about how I felt about the United side. Then i thanked him for recent vast improvement in the football on display and told him that how it had got Brownie Jnr some enthusiasm back for supporting the Blades.

Chris Wilder had the look in his eye of a man who understood and comprehended every word I said to him, had a steely look of determination in his eye, and then thanked me for my kind comment, told me we still have a long way to go, and he is going to do his utmost to make our club as successful as he can do. He didn't need to say a lot, because through his body language, it was abundantly clear that he is a man who means business, it was also very very clear that he is a man who is happier judged on his deeds rather than his words. What struck me the most last night is that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever about who is calling the shots at the Lane nowadays, it is not the board members, or cliques as players but it is the manger, and he gave off a huge impression that he a honest, fair bloke who will do what he can to support his players and drive the club on, but he also gave the impression that he has got a ruthless, nasty streak when required.

We have had a lot of managers over the years, but I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we have a manager in place now, who is on his way up in the managerial game, has the potential to still get to the very top, but also a manager who is utterly driven and focused on the task in hand, and someone who I feel that can not only drag us kicking and screaming out of this Division but also have the ability and talent to ensure that we are formidable and can progress through the Championship as well.

I've got a tear in my eye reading that!

And all this while wearing a blue and white shirt? Impressive, massively impressive! ;)
I am a bear of very little brain I am afraid. I liked the OP and I don't understand your comment. Would you be kind enough to explain it to me please.

I am a bear of very little brain I am afraid. I liked the OP and I don't understand your comment. Would you be kind enough to explain it to me please.

Of course, although the post from SouthEssexBlade should explain. brownie is one of this forum's regular poster's, and as such his contributions are delivered from the point of view of a die-hard Blade. The fact that brownie took it upon himself to wear the shirt of our neighbours from S6 (as part of a dare it seems) meant that he received some cryptic comments from other posters, all with gentle amusement you understand.

Did you resist the urge of a quick rendition of "Warnock out!", Brownie? ;)

Judging by when you registered and how often you post, you've probably missed a lot of happenings around these parts, and your life is probably better for not having wasted hours on here like some of us.

That's to your credit, so not quite the bear brain you claim :)

Excellent post Brownie

Confirms what I've always thought CW to be about

I was convinced when he arrived and I'm even more convinced now that he is the right man for our club. Nowt's guaranteed, but in CW we give ourselves the best possible chance of bringing some success back to this football club

Just make sure Brownie Jnr remains a blade

I remember pulling my lad a number of years back. He was/is a blade but at a tender age he kept asking for different football shirts. Arsenal, Chelski, Barca. In the end I just had to draw the line and told him in no uncertain terms and in the sternest possible way while pointing my finger at him, that if he ever walked in this house wearing a Wendy shirt, his bags would be packed. He was 6 at the time :)

My Mum and dad met the team in La Manga this summer, mum had her photo with Billy and Dad spent a long time chatting with Wilder and Dad came away from his conversation with speaking very highly of him and in a similar way to the OP of brownie

The interviews with Wilder are also so different. I can never work out if he likes doing the media work, but he has a certain charisma about him, a passion which I can only assume doesn't waiver whether he's talking to the Media, a fan or one of his players.

Wilder, put simply, 'gets United', by that i mean that he knows what makes the Club tick, similar to Warnock and I guess something which Bassett redefined when he joined United. The comments in the OP about how he is in charge makes sense, he's obviously working within a budget and framework, is accountable to the Owners (and fans), but he makes you feel that he is in control. He's obviously building

One thing i noticed in his interviews is the facial expressions, he doesn't hide anything and its quite amusing to watch, because his direct responses reflect the facial expressions perfectly.

Don't want to speak too soon, but get a feeling that we're moving forward and upwards with Wilder in charge. I'd go into battle for him.

My Mum and dad met the team in La Manga this summer, mum had her photo with Billy and Dad spent a long time chatting with Wilder and Dad came away from his conversation with speaking very highly of him and in a similar way to the OP of brownie

The interviews with Wilder are also so different. I can never work out if he likes doing the media work, but he has a certain charisma about him, a passion which I can only assume doesn't waiver whether he's talking to the Media, a fan or one of his players.

Wilder, put simply, 'gets United', by that i mean that he knows what makes the Club tick, similar to Warnock and I guess something which Bassett redefined when he joined United. The comments in the OP about how he is in charge makes sense, he's obviously working within a budget and framework, is accountable to the Owners (and fans), but he makes you feel that he is in control. He's obviously building

One thing i noticed in his interviews is the facial expressions, he doesn't hide anything and its quite amusing to watch, because his direct responses reflect the facial expressions perfectly.

Don't want to speak too soon, but get a feeling that we're moving forward and upwards with Wilder in charge. I'd go into battle for him.

I like the answer to Q 41 in the link that WalthamstowBlade posted in #10

41 Sum yourself up in five words:
CW: Honest, loyal, selfish, obsessive, bit-of-a-nutter.

That'll do fo me :)

I like the answer to Q 41 in the link that WalthamstowBlade posted in #10

41 Sum yourself up in five words:
CW: Honest, loyal, selfish, obsessive, bit-of-a-nutter.

That'll do fo me :)
On the nutter part - watch some of his interviews, he looks like he's going to batter the interviewer, in every interview.

think this should be in worst away day thread but hey-ho , 03-01-94 I took my 9 year old to watch the pigs at swillsborough (he had been turned to the dark side by the wife's Wendy supporting family) and it pissed it down all day , my youngest 7 yr old went kicking and screaming (100% blade) I even had to let him wear his blades shirt under his coat , the good thing abut this day was pigs lost and when we got home my eldest threw his shirt in the bin ,started peeling the piggy wallpaper off his bedroom (made the mother in law decorate as I would not touch the paper ) and vowed never to go or support them again , he dallied with glory supporting with chelsea for a while but he is now a fully fledged member of the human race and has been a blade for years even to the point of decking his wendy mate on his stag night for slagging off the blades :rolleyes:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

think this should be in worst away day thread but hey-ho , 03-01-94 I took my 9 year old to watch the pigs at swillsborough (he had been turned to the dark side by the wife's Wendy supporting family) and it pissed it down all day , my youngest 7 yr old went kicking and screaming (100% blade) I even had to let him wear his blades shirt under his coat , the good thing abut this day was pigs lost and when we got home my eldest threw his shirt in the bin ,started peeling the piggy wallpaper off his bedroom (made the mother in law decorate as I would not touch the paper ) and vowed never to go or support them again , he dallied with glory supporting with chelsea for a while but he is now a fully fledged member of the human race and has been a blade for years even to the point of decking his wendy mate on his stag night for slagging off the blades :rolleyes:
Lol, sounds like he's had the tendency to kick off since he was young. You never really grow out of it.

I could never wear a pig shirt , , not the shame of wearing it but the danger of bathing in bleach to clean myself afterwards
would feel like being swarmed by a million cockroaches

Lol, sounds like he's had the tendency to kick off since he was young. You never really grow out of it.
I would not mind be he has always up to that point been a 6 foot 2 inch 15 stone pacifist , not any more though ;)

My one concern is that his progression hasn't gone unnoticed by other clubs.
How long before a 'big' club in the Championship comes knocking?

I actually have every faith Chris would reject them out of hand, at least for a few seasons, but it would be just our luck wouldn't it.

There was discussion on Radio 5 about good English managers not getting a chance, and his name was mentioned about still being in the 3rd tier when in reality his record suggests he should have had a chance higher up.

I actually have every faith Chris would reject them out of hand, at least for a few seasons, but it would be just our luck wouldn't it.

There was discussion on Radio 5 about good English managers not getting a chance, and his name was mentioned about still being in the 3rd tier when in reality his record suggests he should have had a chance higher up.
As Clough said, there aren't really any clubs bigger than us in the championship so what's the point? We'll be back there in two seasons maximum (including this one), hopefully before, under CW.

Your dad is blade too long ? :eek::eek::eek:
Explains a few things :D

He will get his chance higher up and soon enough :)

Back
Top Bottom