chris basham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

flash-blade

Reaction score
will be our player of the year;
whether in midfield or centre half.
100% trier, didn't get the rub of the green to start with, fans picked on him despite scougel, flynn and baxter being a lot lot worse. I watched him closely at west Ham and thought he was magnificent, he'll get a few goals as well if he's allowed to join in attacks. Bashams the man.

He looks a class above this division at centre-half, and shows a few glimpses of that in midfield.

If he was more confident in the final third he'd be half the answer to our attacking prayers.

Looking more and more aggressive with his runs and willing to take people on from midfield in the last third.

He is not a midfielder and even worse than that, Doyle and Basham doesn't work. Stick him at centre back where is good and can bring the ball out, and send back McCarthy.
My thoughts exactly.

I don't know why Clough fiddled around with the back four and midfield yesterday just to accomodate McCarthy

I'm glad to see/hear that he is doing much better now (I thought in the two televised games against Bradford and Walsall he was excellent). I saw him at Swindon and couldn't believe how awful he was that day. I think he could only get better from there!

Because, with all due respect to Basham, he isnt the type of player which will be the difference between promotion and not. It's the same as Doyle, Montgomery whoever.... Those types of players 'do a job' but don't win player of the year in successful teams. Nothing against him, he's a reasonable footballer, but a lad who is in and out of the team and not scored or assisted any goals from midfield really shouldn't be winning POTY. It's not a Basham slating, but the type of player he is.
More often than not, a promoted teams POTY is the scorer or creator or goals consistently, of which he is neither.

He can be magnificent all he likes at the back. The position he played yesterday requires someone who knows how to get forward, pick a pass, find space in the box and can score more than the odd goal. These are not attributes he has. We had 3 men in midfield again and we got bossed. I would rather we spent money on that midfielder we need rather than a striker who will probably be on the bench anyway.

No I didnt hear Clough. I dont think anybody in a red and white shirt was magnificent yesterday

Basham's performances have been lost on a lot oof people since the start of the season - shame really.

Was noticeable also that when Johnson came off for Oldham that he received quite a bit of applause from the South stand. Knowledgeable people, some of them - Kabba for Grimsby immediately springs to mind.

Lost on some.

UTB

He won't create, score and win you games . He is just not that sort of player.

no, he won't help you to win games - he is the sort of player who helps (probably the most) to help you not to lose games.

Just as important as the players like Murph who probably do more than most to help you win games.

UTB

no, he won't help you to win games - he is the sort of player who helps (probably the most) to help you not to lose games.

Just as important as the players like Murph who probably do more than most to help you win games.

UTB

I understand the need, just not when you already have a a holding midfielder and a false 9. The shirt Basham has in midfield needs to be able to help you win games because Murphy isn't going to do it every game, as yesterday proved.

Nothing against Basham but he has never played this attacking midfield role before

Basham's performances have been lost on a lot oof people since the start of the season - shame really.

Was noticeable also that when Johnson came off for Oldham that he received quite a bit of applause from the South stand. Knowledgeable people, some of them - Kabba for Grimsby immediately springs to mind.

Lost on some.

UTB

He doesnt influence the game in midfield I know he make his runs into the box but he wont score enough goals in this position
Seeing as we are playing with no strikers we need midfield players to score goals. I like him at Centre Back thats where he should play

Because, with all due respect to Basham, he isnt the type of player which will be the difference between promotion and not. It's the same as Doyle, Montgomery whoever.... Those types of players 'do a job' but don't win player of the year in successful teams. Nothing against him, he's a reasonable footballer, but a lad who is in and out of the team and not scored or assisted any goals from midfield really shouldn't be winning POTY. It's not a Basham slating, but the type of player he is.
More often than not, a promoted teams POTY is the scorer or creator or goals consistently, of which he is neither.

When he plays at centre half he is as composed and has the same ability to come forward as Harry, not as strong but certainly more mobile.

Harry won player of the season twice didn't he? I think as a Centre Half he could be key in promotion and easily win poty.

He was OK the last time I saw him in midfield (vs Bradford) but he was really awful earlier in the season. I'm not sure he has the composure to be a goalscorer or a creator, and his link up play I think is out of sync with the rest of the midfield. I don't think Basham in midfield is the way to win games consistently, especially at home.

He doesnt influence the game in midfield I know he make his runs into the box but he wont score enough goals in this position
Seeing as we are playing with no strikers we need midfield players to score goals. I like him at Centre Back thats where he should play

you are right - he doesn't influence the game - that should be Baxter, Murphy, Scoogs, JCR, Flynn, Reid . Wallace who are not at the moment influencing the games as much as they should - they are the skilful players. Basham is doing exactly what Clough wants him to do - not many Blades appear to be listening to what Clough is saying about Basham or what Clough say Basham is giving the team.

Basham still seems to be castigated for doing the dirty jobs the other cannot do.

UTB

you are right - he doesn't influence the game - that should be Baxter, Murphy, Scoogs, JCR, Flynn, Reid . Wallace who are not at the moment influencing the games as much as they should - they are the skilful players. Basham is doing exactly what Clough wants him to do - not many Blades appear to be listening to what Clough is saying about Basham or what Clough say Basham is giving the team.

Basham still seems to be castigated for doing the dirty jobs the other cannot do.

UTB

Fulwood, I respect your opinions and have noted your opinion of Basham over the weeks as it varies from my own. I'm looking hard and see a centre half who thinks he's a midfielder. In any case, how many "dirty jobs" are there in a routine game in league 1? and does it need both Doyle and Basham to do them? Would you drop Doyle to play Basham?

Would you have taken McCarthy on loan at expense so you could play Basham in midfield? With regard to expense, did we need a centre half more than a striker?

I suggest we would be better served by playing Basham in his career position rather than where he wants to play. I listen to Clough and he's bristling about Basham because he is sensitive about him.

Fulwood, I respect your opinions and have noted your opinion of Basham over the weeks as it varies from my own. I'm looking hard and see a centre half who thinks he's a midfielder. In any case, how many "dirty jobs" are there in a routine game in league 1? and does it need both Doyle and Basham to do them? Would you drop Doyle to play Basham?

Would you have taken McCarthy on loan at expense so you could play Basham in midfield? With regard to expense, did we need a centre half more than a striker?

I suggest we would be better served by playing Basham in his career position rather than where he wants to play. I listen to Clough and he's bristling about Basham because he is sensitive about him.

I take an interest in what Clough says - I believe the original intention of NC was to play Wallace and Basham in centre midfield together - Doyle would have missed out. Wallace not being fit has meant complete change of plan. Also Higdon was to be the main man up front - again, lack of early fitness couples with Chezzer sending off plus injury in training has put paid to what he wanted to do. Doyle has been very good (since Fulham at home) - quite a revelation really which has probably added to the dilemma. Basham was to hold, with Wallace going forward. Think we have all see how versatile Basham is and to sit in front of the back four takes a footballer with a brain - ie: Basham. As for McCarthy - this should have been Butler, but sadly this didn't work, hence Mccarthy. Clough wants stability at CH and you won't get that with 2 new boys in Basham AND Mcceverly - you NEED experience. Collins isn't the answer and Harry has gone - yet another dilemma for NC. Basham and mcceverly are ok against teams like Crewe - but Forte showed how easy it was against inexperience - ie: his goal on Saturday.

We need at least 1 experienced CH, and up until January it will be McCarthy in league games plus one other - probably mcceverly as he is left footed. Doyle and Basham may well now play together and possibly against Plymouth, Reid will come in and one has a rest.

When McCarthy goes back, we may try and sign permanently, trouble is - wages and his family down South. We will have to go into the market for an experienced CH - Clough will not trust Basham and mcceverly for the remained of the season. If he trusted them, they would have played together on Saturday.

So, where everyone is crying out for a striker (and rightly so), we will also need an experienced CH. We cannot "hope" Basham and Mcceverly are good enough - that would be mad.

As for Basham - he is our master utility player - every teams need one.

Who should we get? - go and offer Hull a kings ransom to loan Harry back!

UTB

Back
Top Bottom