Chelsea vs Sheffield United, 01/09/1973

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Here's some highlights of the match with commentary from Tony Currie and Bobby Charlton. Apologies if its all a bit low tech.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfKhto4IOc7esMiwO7_RvoYWvS96b_P0d
Watched the Big Match highlights at my ex-teacher's boyfriend's house in Newbury. I was supposed to be taken out for the day with my ex- teacher from Maud Maxfield. Her parents lived in Thatcham. It was my first week at my boarding school and my ex-teacher knew I would be homesick so she wrote a letter to say that she would take me out for the Sunday at Thatcham and Newbury. In the papers that day I had found out that our 2-1 win would be shown in The Big Match so I begged my ex-teacher to allow me to watch the Blades on TV which meant she had to alter her plans for the day!

TC never seemed as comfortable being interviewed as he did on the pitch. Sure Bobby Charlton had retired at the end of the previous season (coincidentally at Chelsea) and Man Utd were keen to sign TC as a replacement for him.

TC never seemed as comfortable being interviewed as he did on the pitch. Sure Bobby Charlton had retired at the end of the previous season (coincidentally at Chelsea) and Man Utd were keen to sign TC as a replacement for him.
We got him to sign a new contract in summer 1973 which foiled Tommy Docherty's plans to sign him. The board promised TC that the club will sign new players to strenthen the team. A year later the club sold TC's close friend, Geoff Salmons, to Stoke for £180,000 (our record sale at the time). TC wasnt happy and put in a transfer reqest several times (the board rejected them until we got relegation) for 2 years before going to L**ds

We got him to sign a new contract in summer 1973 which foiled Tommy Docherty's plans to sign him. The board promised TC that the club will sign new players to strenthen the team. A year later the club sold TC's close friend, Geoff Salmons, to Stoke for £180,000 (our record sale at the time). TC wasnt happy and put in a transfer reqest several times (the board rejected them until we got relegation) for 2 years before going to L**ds

Remember my Dad meeting me at the bus stop as I came home from school to tell me that we'd sold Salmons. I couldn't believe it - was gutted. I'd "sympathised" with Salmons cos my old man always criticised him for being too one-footed, so he became one of my favourites... I think I should have realised that day that United were never going to compete and win anything because "cash today" was obviously a higher priority than more points and more cash later.

Remember my Dad meeting me at the bus stop as I came home from school to tell me that we'd sold Salmons. I couldn't believe it - was gutted. I'd "sympathised" with Salmons cos my old man always criticised him for being too one-footed, so he became one of my favourites... I think I should have realised that day that United were never going to compete and win anything because "cash today" was obviously a higher priority than more points and more cash later.

My dad was like that when Mick Jones got sold.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I was at this match. If any of my mates didn't fancy it, I'd just take myself off anyway. So there I was outside Stamford Bridge with a red & white scarf on (didn't tend to get bothered if you were on your own) and this huge Chelsea skinhead came up to me - bleached denims, dockers and sheepskin coat. 'Going to the match?' this obviously clued-up guy asked me. It was a choice between chinning him or saying 'Y-y-yes!' (The latter won out). He reached inside his coat and gave me a ticket!

Winning a game like Chelsea away was no big deal back then. We had a great team and expected to win most games.

After he'd finished at Old Trafford, Charlton was interviewed at great length in the Sunday Telegraph and I was delighted when he said that if he'd been England manager Currie would have been one of the first names on his team sheet from 1971 onwards. As it was, at the time of the interview Currie had played just once for England. He then played five times between June and November 1973 before losing his place. The loathsome Don Revie, England manager from 1974 to 1977, picked TC only once and he didn't return to the side until April, 1978.

It was ridiculous. He was the best midfield player in the country for several years and he should have won many more caps than seventeen. Charlton knew.

Gives me a good excuse to put this up, though. The relevant bit is at 2m40secs:

I've probably mentioned this before, but I was at this match. If any of my mates didn't fancy it, I'd just take myself off anyway. So there I was outside Stamford Bridge with a red & white scarf on (didn't tend to get bothered if you were on your own) and this huge Chelsea skinhead came up to me - bleached denims, dockers and sheepskin coat. 'Going to the match?' this obviously clued-up guy asked me. It was a choice between chinning him or saying 'Y-y-yes!' (The latter won out). He reached inside his coat and gave me a ticket!

Winning a game like Chelsea away was no big deal back then. We had a great team and expected to win most games.

Absolutely spot on. And only a few days later we played Arsenal at BDTBL and thrashed them 5-0. TC did his 'sitting on the ball' bit.

As much as I am lookng forward to this season, excited by the likes of Che and the others but need to remember we are in the third division. Those players in 1973 were beating the best in the country.

We never had it so good.

Absolutely spot on. And only a few days later we played Arsenal at BDTBL and thrashed them 5-0. TC did his 'sitting on the ball' bit.

I missed that game because I was in my second week at boarding school. I couldnt believe it when I found out the score in the papers next morning

Back
Top Bottom