Championship Clubs who want a manager...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Harry's Game

Reaction score
...come on down! You won't have a better chance of snatching away one of the best young English managers around, because he is now painfully aware what ambition his current club has..... Zero.

What a bizarre thread
Far from it. The OP has more than a valid point and we all would do well to heed the warning.

Let's face facts. We are not a big draw anymore, sad but true. Our entire squad is made up of average L1 players that would need to be completely revamped should we ever reach the Championship. Baxter and Murphy aside (maybe Howard and Flynn) who is there that is genuine Championship quality ?

Would need to shift a dozen out and bring a dozen in IMHO.

Worrying :(

Far from it. The OP has more than a valid point and we all would do well to heed the warning.

Let's face facts. We are not a big draw anymore, sad but true. Our entire squad is made up of average L1 players that would need to be completely revamped should we ever reach the Championship. Baxter and Murphy aside (maybe Howard and Flynn) who is there that is genuine Championship quality ?

Would need to shift a dozen out and bring a dozen in IMHO.

Worrying :(

The thing is DronnieBlade, and I mean this with the greatest of respects, you say ''Let's face facts' before going on to give a few of your own personal opinions, with not a fact in sight. I personally think you are underestimating a few in our squad; Alcock, McGahey and Scougall to name three.

On the wider point re: a lack of ambition - I would argue that there are quite a few potential factors which have resulted in us signing nobody on transfer deadline day. 'Lack of ambition' (whatever this actually means in practise, its a very vague and subjective phrase) is just one of those. Being a fan with no inside information, I'm not about to just pick one of those single factors and then masquerade it as fact just to suit my own argument/agenda.

...come on down! You won't have a better chance of snatching away one of the best young English managers around, because he is now painfully aware what ambition his current club has..... Zero.

For a moment there I thought I was back on Bladesmad, home for negativity and anti-Blades posts. I'm all for variety and criticism where warranted, but person anti-Blades stuff is so unnecessary.

The team has just had a few very good results, moral and confidence is up, but some so called supporters just don't get it. Cloughy has already brought in plenty of new players, who seem to be improving every match. I see no point at all in wasting money at this stage. The squad we have is more then sufficient to get promoted this season. If additional players are required, Clough has already shown how good he is at getting quality on loan.

For a moment there I thought I was back on Bladesmad, home for negativity and anti-Blades posts. I'm all for variety and criticism where warranted, but person anti-Blades stuff is so unnecessary.

The team has just had a few very good results, moral and confidence is up, but some so called supporters just don't get it. Cloughy has already brought in plenty of new players, who seem to be improving every match. I see no point at all in wasting money at this stage. The squad we have is more then sufficient to get promoted this season. If additional players are required, Clough has already shown how good he is at getting quality on loan.

I think Harry is a former BM'er so don't be shocked.

Let's face facts. We are not a big draw anymore, sad but true. Our entire squad is made up of average L1 players that would need to be completely revamped should we ever reach the Championship.

And how many Galacticos did the pigs have when they bullied their way to promotion (and only then, thanks to Ched)?

How many stand-out players do they have now? If it wasn't for loan players (and the Co-op Bank), they'd be back down now.

The comment that I have made is that we are no longer considered to be a big draw. This length of time spent in Div 3 will do that for a club, any club.

Fact or opinion, it amounts to the same thing.

As for the lack of genuine talent in the squad, that is of course my opinion, and no more than that. And with Hindsight, as has been pointed out, it is perhaps a tad harsh on a few.

What is also my opinion is that this squad would, in all probability, spend the entire season in the Championship in a relegation dogfight. Which is why I made the point in the first place. Doesn't mean I am right and a good manager, like NC can have a very positive effect on an average group of players by getting them set up correctly and being a good man manager. So that is a positive.

Which is what the op was about. Potentially losing NC. Doesn't bear thinking about and would be a disaster.

IMHO ;)

UTB

The ITKrs last night said Flynn had gone to Villa ,did that happen ? Did Baxter go to Blackpool ? Did Magahey go back to Blackpool ,did Murphy go to Leeds ? All the d and g merchants posted these ,only thing left is Clough now ,hardly unpredictable.

If Clough were to leave stating that he had been misled on what funds were available and citing lack of ambition, I'd seriously question my commitment to the Blades under the new McCabe / Prince regime. But I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen.

One thing Clough seems to have is total control of the playing side, team selection etc. That's important to him, and he wouldn't get that at Championship clubs with rich owners. Can't see him lasting long at e.g. Leeds or Blackburn.

Yes the transfer deadline was disappointing but I'm sure we have targeted plenty of players where for one reason or another the deal hasn't come off. Given our improved performances and commitment, I'm still optimistic about this season. Though it will be tough to make the top two without strengthening the squad.

Clough said himself last month that he asked for an amount that he thought would get him the players that he required and the board gave him this budget in full. Again last night the board tabled 3 substantial bids for the championship players to add quality to the squad. How can you say that the club hasn't shown Clough any ambition?

It may sound daft to you but maybe it is down to other clubs and players buffering us. Securing players isn't as easy as it might have been in yesteryear and what with us being a League One team it is hard to attract certain players. If anything I salute Clough and United for going for broke yesterday and actually trying to get some serious quality as opposed to squad players and future dead wood. We have the chance now to go back to the clubs and explore the possibility of loan deals which in the short time isn't ideal but could help push us on in our quest for promotion.

As a league one team other higher based clubs are going to poach our better players but also as a league one club we are going to find it harder to attract the calibre of player that some of us would love to sign.

My glass is half full.

What a complete and utter dildo the OP has been for some time.

An exaggerated gloom merchant, caught up in the pantomime that was played out last night, and making statements as if he actually knows something. Perhaps he's a second life participant who can't untangle that world from the real one, what other explanation can there be for such nonsense? This version of how the world works is based on a very infantile premise, that if things don't work out you take your ball and find new friends.....I wish I could begin to grasp how your mind works HG, but somehow the voices are beginning to tell you things that should concern you. Just make sure that this 'talent' you appear to have for bollocks doesn't happen when you're next to a shotgun. Crazier things have happened, and judging you by this type of crap you really do need to make sure you're taking appropriate medication.

Clough said himself last month that he asked for an amount that he thought would get him the players that he required and the board gave him this budget in full. Again last night the board tabled 3 substantial bids for the championship players to add quality to the squad. How can you say that the club hasn't shown Clough any ambition?

It may sound daft to you but maybe it is down to other clubs and players buffering us. Securing players isn't as easy as it might have been in yesteryear and what with us being a League One team it is hard to attract certain players. If anything I salute Clough and United for going for broke yesterday and actually trying to get some serious quality as opposed to squad players and future dead wood. We have the chance now to go back to the clubs and explore the possibility of loan deals which in the short time isn't ideal but could help push us on in our quest for promotion.

As a league one team other higher based clubs are going to poach our better players but also as a league one club we are going to find it harder to attract the calibre of player that some of us would love to sign.

My glass is half full.

Well, it just remains for someone to find out who the players were and what the bids were.
Then we may have an idea if Uniteds' bids was substantial.
Substantial has different meanings between buyer and seller.

Well, it just remains for someone to find out who the players were and what the bids were.
Then we may have an idea if Uniteds' bids was substantial.
Substantial has different meanings between buyer and seller.

I can agree with that 100% Zanzibar only issue is I can't see us ever finding it out as everything is undisclosed and hidden away these days. All we can go on is that we weren't buffered away due to under valuing players more due to the fact that the players wanted to keep the players.

Back
Top Bottom