Certain comments from players really rile me.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
"We know we are better than what we have shown of late and this season in general, for whatever reason it just hasn't happened for us"...............

I'm not being funny but you have had more than enough opportunities to put this right and show yourself to be better than the shit we have been served up for the majority of the season. I mean we can all understand the odd "off" game where you aren't the races, after all if you were all consistent performers then the truth is that you probably wouldn't be playing in league one. But seriously?.............

It appears that certain players are as deluded as certain fans in the respects that they feel that they are capable of much more than what we have achieved???

You haven't been good enough, clinical enough or savvy enough to break down teams and score goals. You haven't done the basics correctly or been disciplined enough to stop teams scoring against us and you haven't won enough games to even warrant a shot out in the play-offs.

So on that basis, NO you really aren't better than what you have been serving up! You've had enough bites and the cherry and you haven't achieved owt! Now run along and find your level because we expect at least the basics to be done correctly!

When players come out with a feeble "sorry", "we have let you, the fans down" statements & insincere apologies.

GO AWAY!

I don't want a team of apologists, just go out there and give us, the supporters 100% EVERY game.
If you do that and lose, we won't be singing the songs, taking the piss out of you, we'll accept (I hope) that you gave your best but on the day it wasn't good enough.

How hard is it for 11 men to give 100% for 90+ minutes, once, maybe twice a week?

When players come out with a feeble "sorry", "we have let you, the fans down" statements & insincere apologies.

GO AWAY!

I don't want a team of apologists, just go out there and give us, the supporters 100% EVERY game.
If you do that and lose, we won't be singing the songs, taking the piss out of you, we'll accept (I hope) that you gave your best but on the day it wasn't good enough.

How hard is it for 11 men to give 100% for 90+ minutes, once, maybe twice a week?

This Lydon is the reason why I used to love Nick Montgomery, Chris Porter and Chris Morgan so much. The latter is probably a poor example because he actually had a great deal of ability however the former two weren't the most technically gifted players that have ever put on a Sheffield United shirt.

What they did do however pull on the shirt and wear it with pride. They made up for everything else with the amount of sheer effort and determination that they put in. You never witnessed less than 100% from these players.

As the club has gone through transition, new managers have made wholesale changes and slowly but surely we have sold our soul to the devil so to speak. The players that have arrived at the club in recent years are modern day footballers who lack the above passion for the club and lossing those attributes in my opinion is detrimental to the club.

Billy Sharp has scored goals but even his post match interviews have disappointed me at times with the whole "we know we can do better" tripe.

Look at the success that other clubs have had in this league. They have brought in young fringe players from other clubs. Players who understand the opportunity and the privilege it is to be able to represent a club at first team level.

"It" just hasn't happened for us.

Because "it" just falls from the fucking sky over the course of 46 matches.

I mean, here we are plodding along, not beating other teams whilst putting in the bare minimum of application into our already limited abilities, just hoping "it" would happen.

But whoops, "it" never did.

This Lydon is the reason why I used to love Nick Montgomery, Chris Porter and Chris Morgan so much. The latter is probably a poor example because he actually had a great deal of ability however the former two weren't the most technically gifted players that have ever put on a Sheffield United shirt.

What they did do however pull on the shirt and wear it with pride. They made up for everything else with the amount of sheer effort and determination that they put in. You never witnessed less than 100% from these players.

As the club has gone through transition, new managers have made wholesale changes and slowly but surely we have sold our soul to the devil so to speak. The players that have arrived at the club in recent years are modern day footballers who lack the above passion for the club and lossing those attributes in my opinion is detrimental to the club.

Billy Sharp has scored goals but even his post match interviews have disappointed me at times with the whole "we know we can do better" tripe.

Look at the success that other clubs have had in this league. They have brought in young fringe players from other clubs. Players who understand the opportunity and the privilege it is to be able to represent a club at first team level.

Can't "like" this enough. Spoken as a true fan, and I am myself, I love SUFC, I love the ground, I am proud to tell people I am a Blade, I hurt when we lose, I have rational and irrational dislike of many clubs for bizarre Blades related reasons, I suspect I would get on with every member of this Forum if I met them because they are Blades.

It's all about the emotions. And all I can see from our players, and for the players of other teams, is a lack of emotional attachment. Pick up the wages and bugger off. I'm not naive, I know it's a job to them, but am I lost in a morass of nostalgia? Didn't enough players used to have that attachment, even if they didn't grow up Blades?

They're not better than what they have shown, the stupid deluded twats, they are exactly as good as what they have shown.

The really sad thing for me is this season is that even from the Southend game, when so much water had gone under the bridge, we could still have crashed 6th place with a bit of what the Welsh call hwyl. When you needed to dig deep, you didn't have it boys.

Went to a restaurant last night and it was dreadful.

Manager approached me and asked if everything was OK. I said 'Well no it was very poor'.

He replied 'We know we are better than what we have shown of late and tonight in general for whatever reason it's just not worked out for us...' and then he walked away.

Well I thought I'm not putting up with that and pursued the matter. In the end I got 50% knocked off the bill.

Now if we started seeing ourselves as customers could we demand the same from out team. Or are we just a bunch of philanthropists?

After 10 minutes and at 2-0 down yesterday, we needed leadership. The first goal was 'one of those things', and the second, whilst you can probably dissect it and find a couple of mistakes in the build-up, was a reasonably good finish from a fairly clever pass into the box. If we had scored the same goal, I'd have been happy with it as well-worked. So, none of our players had really done anything too bad. There were 80 minutes to go to keep our play-off hopes alive. We needed someone (or more than one) to show some leadership and desire. Some fist-pumping. Some shouting. Some effort. Someone to say that "we can still do this", "it's not over, there's a long time still to play", someone to just get the team going rather than feeling sorry for themselves that they were 2-0 down without having really done anything wrong.

From what I could see, Adkins and the coaches were trying to do that; however, on the pitch...............nothing. No motivation, no desire, just acceptance that the (slim) chance of sneaking 6th place was already over. After scoring his penalty, Billy got back to the centre circle and seemed to signal to the fans to get behind the players, and give them some more support, but that was just one isolated incident.

I found that bitterly disappointing.

Can't "like" this enough. Spoken as a true fan, and I am myself, I love SUFC, I love the ground, I am proud to tell people I am a Blade, I hurt when we lose, I have rational and irrational dislike of many clubs for bizarre Blades related reasons, I suspect I would get on with every member of this Forum if I met them because they are Blades.

It's all about the emotions. And all I can see from our players, and for the players of other teams, is a lack of emotional attachment. Pick up the wages and bugger off. I'm not naive, I know it's a job to them, but am I lost in a morass of nostalgia? Didn't enough players used to have that attachment, even if they didn't grow up Blades?
Spot on Hillmorton I feel exactly the same.

I suppose being a professional football player must involve self-confidence and lead you to believe the hype. I doubt many last long if they know they are actually quite poor and can't actually pass very well, tackle etc. but I do wonder if Adkins post match interviews have a lot do with this attitude.
The constant narrative of "we were unlucky", "we created good chances", "we go again" when every fan knows were out played and out ran by a lot of average teams this season must make the players think they really were unlucky and look for excuses when there are none.
If you were to play all Adkins post match interviews to someone who hadn't watched United this season they could reasonably expect to think the team had won the league with a 120+ points.
It's no wonder the players have the same mindset.

Unfortunately, the culture running throughout the club, from Our Glorious Leader on down, is just to lazily use this excuse, time after time after time -

vpl08y.gif

When he first joined and tried to explain his reasoning for giving McEverley the armband he also said something along the lines of "its not one individual who leads the team but a selected group of players who are the leaders" (not word for word but same reasoning). Not seen Captain Disastrous or the Titanic mob doing anything like leadership, more like shrugging the shoulders and thinking to themselves "not my responsibility". Yet they are all more likely to spout soundbites in the paper on a regular basis about how strong the team spirit is and how they are giving their all week in, week out.

Apart from Sharp the lot of them have been total failures this season, Sundays walk around the pitch after the game should be very interesting indeed.

Went to a restaurant last night and it was dreadful.

Manager approached me and asked if everything was OK. I said 'Well no it was very poor'.

He replied 'We know we are better than what we have shown of late and tonight in general for whatever reason it's just not worked out for us...' and then he walked away.
You must have been on the Adkins Diet.

Back
Top Bottom