Centre Half cannot wait while DD

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
Unless the board have agreed between themselves in private to pay Millwall's asking price for Byron Webster and will do so as a last resort, we have to move on and go to plan D.

We can't afford to haggle and haggle and then at 9 o clock tomorrow realise Millwall aren't going to give in, so that's our one key position left unfilled. And with the lack of a loan window it just cannot be allowed to happen if we want to be competitive. Don't let saturday paper over any cracks, if we don't get a top class leader in at centre half for this level we could be in a relegation scrap this season. It's that important.

I'm fed up of 'we tried for one or two but we were priced out' this is a position we can take no risks with. And we have no excuses, we've had since McFadzean signed for Burton to get one in and that was over a month ago.

Dave Buchanan, Lavery and Webster/Morgan and I'd be happy.If Coutts goes we will need another CM too.

Don't leave a fanbase nonplussed again Kev/Prince. I think we've all had enough now. We're the biggest team in the league so let's start doing business like it.

This has been the priority signing since Maguire was sold over 2 years ago (I'd argue, at the time Clough should have had someone lined up before the sale went through) and it's not stopped the club (chairman/board/successive managers whoever is to blame) sorting what has been a massive problem in this club moving forward and getting out of this piss awful division.

Totally agree with the OP on the subject of bringing in a dominant centre half leader. I'd break the bank for this type of player, fee, wages, whatever, he's that important to SUFC but I get the impression the board will just allow this problem to continue if it means shelling out some decent wonga to sort the problem.

Was I just hallucinating when I saw we signed O'Connell and Wilson?
So you don't think we need a top class leader at the back?
If I'm not mistaken the Wilson/JOC partnership heralded 1 point from 4 games. I wish that was a hallucination.

No, it just means you don't appreciate what constitutes a dominant centre half leader. Sorry, O'Connell and Wilson don't fit the bill on that score.

The OP is damn right.

We can all see this is going to happen. I don't want to hear the same old line that this team wouldn't sell...or we couldn't get the deal done...or we made three bids totalling 1.5 million...I just want us to pick a player, make the offer they feel fitting and if it's rejected move on.

But getting to the end of the window and being in this position yet again is a disgrace, and someone needs their Arse kicking for allowing it to happen. Just by going to the end of the window means we are going to be paying over the odds.

So feckin frustrating!!

The OP is damn right.

We can all see this is going to happen. I don't want to hear the same old line that this team wouldn't sell...or we couldn't get the deal done...or we made three bids totalling 1.5 million...I just want us to pick a player, make the offer they feel fitting and if it's rejected move on.

But getting to the end of the window and being in this position yet again is a disgrace, and someone needs their Arse kicking for allowing it to happen. Just by going to the end of the window means we are going to be paying over the odds.

So feckin frustrating!!
We've had well over a month since McFadzean (who was clearly number 1 target) went to Burton. It's a disgrace it's took this long to be honest. And still not done!

Yep a big bruiser of a centre half is the priority but I think we will be signing Lavery next o_O
I'm ok with that provided big bruiser of a centre half is through the door by wednesday.
I'm just very doubtful...

Well over a month....and well over a week since we got thumped by Southend!

That alone should have been the catalyst to go out and just get the job done. No excuses I'm afraid.

We can't keep waiting and waiting for players. No player is bigger than the club we hear, and that should be the case with those we have bid for too.
If we were in a position of picking up specific players to play specific detailed roles to match certain systems then fine...provided we had a decent side already.

At the moment we don't have a full side. We are 3 short.

Serious question Danny.

Hiw much do you think we should pay in a transfer fee?
Would you pay 1.5 million for a centre half?

And what about wages?
If the agent demands £15K a week should we pay it?

And finally to get our targets ( decent league 1 players) would you be prepared
To pay £30 on the Kop and £35 in the stands if it meant seeing better players?

Also bare in mind that in recent years throwing money at it hasn't been beneficial.
Wasn't Hammond on something like £30K a week?

There is the counter arguement we don't want mercenaries who just see us as a cash cow. Surely we want hungry players who are happy with performance based incentives not money up front.

Also due to our position near the bottom you can bet the better ambitious players will demand release clauses. Should we agree to a release that they can leave on the cheap if we fail to get promoted?

It's Sod's law that we're near the bottom of the league, it makes it twice as hard to bring in ambitious players. The only solution is to play over the odds. Where as if we had a great start and near the top Wilder could sell the club and persuade players to join an upwardly mobile club going places.

Last edited:
So you don't think we need a top class leader at the back?
If I'm not mistaken the Wilson/JOC partnership heralded 1 point from 4 games. I wish that was a hallucination.

And how many of those dropped points were actually due to the central defenders? I thought the whole theme of the first four games was throwing Long under the bus and it was all his fault.

Sure I'd like to improve the side - I'd like to do that at every position. What does it say about Wilder if he buys a fourth centre back this window? What does it say to the three he's already bought?

And how many of those dropped points were actually due to the central defenders? I thought the whole theme of the first four games was throwing Long under the bus and it was all his fault.

Sure I'd like to improve the side - I'd like to do that at every position. What does it say about Wilder if he buys a fourth centre back this window? What does it say to the three he's already bought?
They were at fault for one each against Crewe and JOC was culpable for the third v Southend and the penalty against Millwall.

That the rookie (JOC) needs a leader and the 'sulker' (Wilson) needs the same. Nothing else.

What is obvious we have to sign players who look world class from minute one when they arrive or they will be tarred as fucking useless
no time to get to know each other, cant use unfamiliarity as an excuse, dominte despite not knowing how any one plays

I thought Wright played well against Oxford?

Still think we need another CB but Wright played better than we call expected...

Unless the board have agreed between themselves in private to pay Millwall's asking price for Byron Webster and will do so as a last resort, we have to move on and go to plan D.

We can't afford to haggle and haggle and then at 9 o clock tomorrow realise Millwall aren't going to give in, so that's our one key position left unfilled. And with the lack of a loan window it just cannot be allowed to happen if we want to be competitive. Don't let saturday paper over any cracks, if we don't get a top class leader in at centre half for this level we could be in a relegation scrap this season. It's that important.

I'm fed up of 'we tried for one or two but we were priced out' this is a position we can take no risks with. And we have no excuses, we've had since McFadzean signed for Burton to get one in and that was over a month ago.

Dave Buchanan, Lavery and Webster/Morgan and I'd be happy.If Coutts goes we will need another CM too.

Don't leave a fanbase nonplussed again Kev/Prince. I think we've all had enough now. We're the biggest team in the league so let's start doing business like it.

A measured, non-tantrum, non-malicious message and I agree with it. I would only add that some things genuinely are beyond our control. Apparently terms agreed with both Wigan and Morgan but player has knocked it back for personal reasons. Quite why he agreed terms then is a mystery but there you go.

In Webster's case I believe Millwall are currently asking a quite ridiculous fee for a League One centre-back. That of course is their prerogative; he's their player. However, it seems the player wants the move so don't rule that out tomorrow...

Oh, and keep Paul Coutts, Tufty. He's getting into his stride now and at his best he's a very fine player at this level.

What is obvious we have to sign players who look world class from minute one when they arrive or they will be tarred as fucking useless
no time to get to know each other, cant use unfamiliarity as an excuse, dominte despite not knowing how any one plays

Dominte? Have we signed an Italian?....

Oh, and keep Paul Coutts, Tufty. He's getting into his stride now and at his best he's a very fine player at this level.

Is he getting into his stride, or does he just look better when he's he got mobile players around him?

I'm happy for him to occupy a small area of the pitch and knock it about, but as soon as we can't play athletes in the other three midfield slots I'd drop him like a hot rock.

Wilson was intended to be back up for player X, who we still desperately need. He's at least 6-2; he heads and clears everything and he is a leader. JOC was intended to be his sidekick. Wilson and the admirable Wright were intended to be key back up men, no doubt both having important parts over a long season.

We very much need Player X.

Wilson was intended to be back up for player X, who we still desperately need. He's at least 6-2; he heads and clears everything and he is a leader. JOC was intended to be his sidekick. Wilson and the admirable Wright were intended to be key back up men, no doubt both having important parts over a long season.

We very much need Player X.

Player X was meant to be Macfadzean?

Would you say we've 'dilly dallied' about given that he went to Burton in June?

Player X was meant to be Macfadzean?

Would you say we've 'dilly dallied' about given that he went to Burton in June?

Yes, to an extent. Again the MCFadz thing wasn't our fault. MK were asking for significantly more money from us than anyone else for the same player. Again, that's their prerogative but rightly we told them where to stick it. Personally I didn't particularly want him anyway. There are better out there and I think we are pursuing them. Bids in for four as I understand it, but all depending on vendors finding replacements (again suggesting they are good players). Two of them are Webster and Morgan, either would be more than welcome. I think you would agree? Webster wants the move but Blades, again rightly, won't pay £1m pounds for even a good league one centre-back. Championship clubs, maybe, but ain't none in the queue.

I would watch this space tomorrow. I think we'll have a productive day, though not perhaps as spectacular as some (including me) would hope.

Back to your question. It's not unreasonable to think we could perhaps have got the kingpin centre-back we really need in much earlier. By that, I mean long before Tufty arrived. So far as Tufty is concerned, he's backed four horses tomorrow but some may scratch because they have to run at other courses who are waiting to fill their own racecards. I really hope one of them is a winner for him and us....

Only 3? so, if you had 3 where do you think an original 8 plus 3 others would finish?

To save you asking I think we need 5 or 6 to possibly finish top 2, and 4 or 5 to finish 3rd to 6th.

UTB

3 players short of a side....agree we are 5 short of a decent squad.

One centre back that is undroppable...Wilson and O Connell to fight for the other spot.

One midfield player that is able to add to the talents of Fleck. Sick of seeing my midfield players losing possession cheaply and unable to keep the ball in the opponents half.

One top forward....someone who can run at players, beat a man, and score from nothing.

Ideally a new pair of full backs as I don't think either are in the top 15 in the division would allow the squad to have some depth to it.
3 in....might sneak a play off if we are lucky with injuries.
5 in....we make the play offs.

No signings....relegation battle to mid table.

Yes, to an extent. Again the MCFadz thing wasn't our fault. MK were asking for significantly more money from us than anyone else for the same player. Again, that's their prerogative but rightly we told them where to stick it. Personally I didn't particularly want him anyway. There are better out there and I think we are pursuing them. Bids in for four as I understand it, but all depending on vendors finding replacements (again suggesting they are good players). Two of them are Webster and Morgan, either would be more than welcome. I think you would agree? Webster wants the move but Blades, again rightly, won't pay £1m pounds for even a good league one centre-back. Championship clubs, maybe, but ain't none in the queue.

I would watch this space tomorrow. I think we'll have a productive day, though not perhaps as spectacular as some (including me) would hope.

Back to your question. It's not unreasonable to think we could perhaps have got the kingpin centre-back we really need in much earlier. By that, I mean long before Tufty arrived. So far as Tufty is concerned, he's backed four horses tomorrow but some may scratch because they have to run at other courses who are waiting to fill their own racecards. I really hope one of them is a winner for him and us....

I would agree them 2 would be good signings and also agree we shouldn't pay over the odds.

But like we did with Clarke in the bottom 2 leagues we should still hold some sway.

My only concern is leaving it till the last minute.

No way back after Thursday.

This has been the priority signing since Maguire was sold over 2 years ago (I'd argue, at the time Clough should have had someone lined up before the sale went through) and it's not stopped the club (chairman/board/successive managers whoever is to blame) sorting what has been a massive problem in this club moving forward and getting out of this piss awful division.

Totally agree with the OP on the subject of bringing in a dominant centre half leader. I'd break the bank for this type of player, fee, wages, whatever, he's that important to SUFC but I get the impression the board will just allow this problem to continue if it means shelling out some decent wonga to sort the problem.

They'll let it happen whilst ever 19000+ keep turning up.

3 players short of a side....agree we are 5 short of a decent squad.

One centre back that is undroppable...Wilson and O Connell to fight for the other spot.

One midfield player that is able to add to the talents of Fleck. Sick of seeing my midfield players losing possession cheaply and unable to keep the ball in the opponents half.

One top forward....someone who can run at players, beat a man, and score from nothing.

Ideally a new pair of full backs as I don't think either are in the top 15 in the division would allow the squad to have some depth to it.
3 in....might sneak a play off if we are lucky with injuries.
5 in....we make the play offs.

No signings....relegation battle to mid table.

Yep, sound about right to me.

There are certain players that might be much better if paired with someone else - suppose that's the detailed job of a coach/manager to know.

We can carry a couple, but 5 is the minimum to change - does CW have the nous to pull it off...........

UTB

Back
Top Bottom