Budget, technical board and youth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Budget is a reduced one as per Wilder’s opening interview.

How reduced? Any budget less than those of the top two budgets in the division is a very poor one for a club of this size. Which is solely down to piss poor ownership.

Wilder's done well with the retained list but apart from that there’s absolutely nothing providing hope.

I hope he hasn’t come thinking he can get us up on next to no budget purely because he did it at Northampton. From what he’s said in his opening interviews, it heavily suggests he has. Talk of this nature will also have been fine music to McCabe’s ears.

Sheffield United is a different beast and you just know it’ll go tits up if he tries the same here. And not only is there the budget to contend with, there’s also going to be this nonsensical technical board, made up entirely of zero footballing knowledge demanding who he can and can’t sign and generally over complicating things.

And then there's been all this talk of youth players coming up to the first team squad. Which is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

All the early signs are not good.

Agree to an extent but loads of teams have proved you don't need millions to get out of this division and we ourselves have proved high salaries don't work.

Agree re the Tech board it's a fucking joke, Mcabe admitted he took his eye off the ball. Well if he cares that much he'd be here overseeing things and not employing his bastard lackeys from the world of property to run a football club.

I think the technical board is a bit of shuffling deckchairs..

Mistakes made in the transfer market, fans not happy, so shuffle the board, and come up with the term `technical board`.
The manager will still be the one making the final decision on transfers, as long as he is within budget.

Any questions at the recent forums to McCabe, were batted down with the `technical board` response, and how mistakes wont happen again.
How can any process result in 100% success in the transfer market? It can`t, mistakes will still happen.

The recruiting process is down to Wilder, and his team, its up to him to bring in the right sort of player, and if we have a good season, the `technical board` will be deemed a success, if we struggle with recruitment, there will be another reshuffle.

The technical board came in around Dec/Jan, with the reduced budget in mind, but we will still be up there with one of the highest wage bills in League One.

I think we will be very active over the summer, around 10 new players coming in.

I think the technical board is a bit of shuffling deckchairs..

Mistakes made in the transfer market, fans not happy, so shuffle the board, and come up with the term `technical board`.
The manager will still be the one making the final decision on transfers, as long as he is within budget.

Any questions at the recent forums to McCabe, were batted down with the `technical board` response, and how mistakes wont happen again.
How can any process result in 100% success in the transfer market? It can`t, mistakes will still happen.

The recruiting process is down to Wilder, and his team, its up to him to bring in the right sort of player, and if we have a good season, the `technical board` will be deemed a success, if we struggle with recruitment, there will be another reshuffle.

The technical board came in around Dec/Jan, with the reduced budget in mind, but we will still be up there with one of the highest wage bills in League One.

I think we will be very active over the summer, around 10 new players coming in.
Wage bill over the whole squad, including those already in the squad is one thing.

Total budget for wages and any fees for the new signings is another.

Wage bill over the whole squad, including those already in the squad is one thing.

Total budget for wages and any fees for the new signings is another.
There will still be funds available, but we have overspent with Championship wages in League One.

We will still pay fees, and good wages for League One players, think part of Wilders appeal to the board is his knowledge of the bottom 2 divisions, and the National league.

Think most, not all, of our recruitment will come from there.
Young hungry players, determined to make a career at a higher level.

I'm sure that's right, but how much of our "larger budget" is already committed to existing players, that are still nowhere near their worth?

If we have 3 or 4 of the current youngsters heavily involved next season, the we have a relegation battle on our hands.

We must be very active in the transfer market, but I'm concerned about that.

UTB

I'm sure that's right, but how much of our "larger budget" is already committed to existing players, that are still nowhere near their worth?

If we have 3 or 4 of the current youngsters heavily involved next season, the we have a relegation battle on our hands.

UTB
Thats the problem we have for next season contracted players, although there will only be Brayford on big money, presuming we offload Hammond.

I believe U21 homegrown players do not count towards FFP, but as a watcher of the U21s I can`t think of anyone who is near first team football, other than those involved, Whiteman and Reed, possibly Ramsdale on the bench next season.
Kelly and Brooks have been on the bench, but are not ready IMO.

Budget is a reduced one as per Wilder’s opening interview.

How reduced? Any budget less than those of the top two budgets in the division is a very poor one for a club of this size. Which is solely down to piss poor ownership.

Wilder's done well with the retained list but apart from that there’s absolutely nothing providing hope.

I hope he hasn’t come thinking he can get us up on next to no budget purely because he did it at Northampton. From what he’s said in his opening interviews, it heavily suggests he has. Talk of this nature will also have been fine music to McCabe’s ears.

Sheffield United is a different beast and you just know it’ll go tits up if he tries the same here. And not only is there the budget to contend with, there’s also going to be this nonsensical technical board, made up entirely of zero footballing knowledge demanding who he can and can’t sign and generally over complicating things.

And then there's been all this talk of youth players coming up to the first team squad. Which is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

All the early signs are not good.

Budget:

If last season's wage bill was £5m with that bloated squad, my complete guess and gut instinct suggests to me the new budget will not be that much less, say £4.5m. We still have ambitious owners who are losing money the longer this club is languishing in this league. I don't think the new owner is retrenching, far from it, he wants something to show for the investment which has been largely wasted by two managers and he's in that awful situation that the next tranche of cash could easily have gone the same way had changes not been made. Even so Wilder is still a gamble like any managerial appointment.

Technical Board:

The manager will dominate it but any marginal potential signings identified by the other board members will have to be justified. Looking at the individuals on the Technical Board, does anybody think Wilder won't get his own way?

Youth Players:

Only Whiteman, Reed and Calvert-Lewin are anywhere near a first team place and each of them has a lot to do to get picked. They will get more playing time but that's obvious because Adkins gave them hardly any. I'd be surprised if any two of those lads starts the season in the first team but if they all finish the season there it will be a great result for the club and incentive to any other prospects to know they can follow on from them. Common sense tells me that if the Academy provides the odd exceptional player then he will be sold elsewhere until we are at the top end Championship but it is entirely possible for the Academy to produce a player or two every year for our first team with the different mind set of investing playing time in their development. They don't have to be world beaters immediately or indeed ever, just capable of playing a part in the first team at this and the next level. Anything else after that is way away. Our first team needs so many match winners and so many dependable players to support them. Young lads may develop from one to the other during their first 50 games or so. Take Calvert-Lewin, he can start as a sub, gain a first team place in a supporting role and go on to be the main striker, let's hope he does!!

Last edited:
There will still be funds available, but we have overspent with Championship wages in League One.

We will still pay fees, and good wages for League One players, think part of Wilders appeal to the board is his knowledge of the bottom 2 divisions, and the National league.

Think most, not all, of our recruitment will come from there.
Young hungry players, determined to make a career at a higher level.

I was going to type something out then realised it would be a rehash of this!

UTB

Well 10 have gone and 7 are transfer-listed. Maybe even one or two of the retained players will leave, I think at least two will.

There will be loads of budget to sign enough replacements to form a balanced squad without the 7 listed players. Mind you one or two of those might well earn a place in the squad, K.Wallace and Freeman for example, I hope so.

Off the cuff, 14 leave, 11 join us; save £1m on the wage bill. Pay off a couple to get them off the training ground.

Youth Players:

Only Whiteman, Reed and Calvert-Lewin are anywhere near a first team place and each of them has a lot to do to get picked. They will get more playing time but that's obvious because Adkins gave them hardly any. I'd be surprised if any two of those lads starts the season in the first team but if they all finish the season there it will be a great result for the club and incentive to any other prospects to know they can follow on from them. Common sense tells me that if the Academy provides the odd exceptional player then he will be sold elsewhere until we are at the top end Championship but it is entirely possible for the Academy to produce a player or two every year for our first team with the different mind set of investing playing time in their development. They don't have to be world beaters immediately or indeed ever, just capable of playing a part in the first team at this and the next level. Anything else after that is way away. Our first team needs so many match winners and so many dependable players to support them. Young lads may develop from one to the other during their first 50 games or so. Take Calvert-Lewin, he can start as a sub, gain a first team place in a supporting role and go on to be the main striker, let's hope he does!!

And they are nowhere near promotion chasing quality. If we plan to just use them, then we need some real high quality transfers in.

UTB

I think people are overplaying this technical board. The director is only there to make sure that deals like what Hammond and maybe others have got over the last couple of years. If Tufty goes to the technical board and says I want to sign player A from the conference and he wants 6k per week I imagine this won't go very far. Saying that I imagine it won't get past Tufty.

There are plenty of players that start as youngsters at premierleague clubs who don't make it and end down in the conference, they either sink or swim from there.. The one signing I looked at that Tufty made for Northampton last year Was Rod McDonald from the conference. Was one of their best players. 6'2 strong quick CB and he is now on the up.

I am also looking forward to us using the loan system in a similar way to Barnsley. If you can't find a decent left back for example, loan a young up and coming player

And they are nowhere near promotion chasing quality. If we plan to just use them, then we need some real high quality transfers in.

UTB

I think Reed is good enough now. Whiteman can be a force by Xmas. Lewin a bit longer.

Play these lads in a confident, well organised team and you will be amazed how they can develop. We've not seen such an environment for years.

UTB

Peterborough have lived off this model for the last 10 years and done well. It's just they have started to employ wank managers, but you can't knock them for finding Washington or Gayle amongst others. We already have quality players for this division in Sharp, Adams, Done, Brayford, Basham(if played right)

We're in a slightly better position having just released all those players as we HAVE to sanction a fair amount of recruitment purely to get a decent sized squad.

It's different to last season where we had the squad hanging over the head of the incoming manager.

We'll always pay more than others in this league you would hope, but maybe we finally have a manager who can get proper value for money with his signings and won't be obsessed with championship players who refuse to drop leagues like both the last two were guilty of.

I agree that this Technical Board sounds like a lot of typical Sheffield United nonsense that will be disbanded in a short amount of time.

I think people are overplaying this technical board. The director is only there to make sure that deals like what Hammond and maybe others have got over the last couple of years. If Tufty goes to the technical board and says I want to sign player A from the conference and he wants 6k per week I imagine this won't go very far. Saying that I imagine it won't get past Tufty.

There are plenty of players that start as youngsters at premierleague clubs who don't make it and end down in the conference, they either sink or swim from there.. The one signing I looked at that Tufty made for Northampton last year Was Rod McDonald from the conference. Was one of their best players. 6'2 strong quick CB and he is now on the up.

I am also looking forward to us using the loan system in a similar way to Barnsley. If you can't find a decent left back for example, loan a young up and coming player

The Technical Board will have to be involved with loan signings too. There is often a sequel to a loan signing and it's a great way to observe a lad's character and develop a relationship with him.

If Wilder hadn't got the Blade's connection, would our glorious leaders have appointed him?

Another win/win scenario for them.

We all know the remit, they've got to it right sometime, maybe Chris Wilder can achieve that.
If he does, everyone's happy.
If he doesn't. Will we be happy with a slight progression? That's what KM said he'd be happy with.

I won't.

Peterborough have lived off this model for the last 10 years and done well. It's just they have started to employ wank managers, but you can't knock them for finding Washington or Gayle amongst others. We already have quality players for this division in Sharp, Adams, Done, Brayford, Basham(if played right)
And all without spunking £1,500,000 every year on an academy.

:)

If Wilder hadn't got the Blade's connection, would our glorious leaders have appointed him?

We all know the remit, they've got to it right sometime, maybe Chris Wilder can achieve that.
If he doesn't. Will we be happy with a slight progression? That's what KM said he'd be happy with.

I won't.
There's no win win for anyone whist ever we are in the third division.

UTB

I think Reed is good enough now. Whiteman can be a force by Xmas. Lewin a bit longer.

Play these lads in a confident, well organised team and you will be amazed how they can develop. We've not seen such an environment for years.
Honestly, my gut wrenches when I read this stuff. I honestly think it's a combination of our standards plummeting and people being seduced by the idea of local youth.

All the young players discussed will end up in this division, or much lower.

UTB

I won't.

Without wishing to be provocative, what difference does the fact you say "I won't" make?

Seriously, nor will I, but we are not the ones throwing our cash at the problem or making any decisions which affect anything whatsoever!

Win/win. Lose/lose, yes it's their money to lose.

It's our emotional well-being, of course it is, but it's their's too.

I won't.

Of course his Blades connection has helped him get the job, but he's a man's man. I haven't met any blade or pig who has anything bad to say about him personally. Their last pre-season they played Sheffield FC. Apparently the Northampton players turned their noses up, but Chris wanted to showing them our fair city and once they had played they had a good night out and bonded the whole team in one swoop.

Have you also seen what's he has achieved over the last few years? Northampton got 99 points last season playing a fast high pressure game that we have all been craving for. One man that won't be happy with slight progression I am guessing is Chris, because he put that Northampton team together in one pre-season.

If Sharp with Done Adams and Scougall/Reed behind buy in to the high pressure quick football upfront, that's a 3rd of his job already done.

Honestly, my gut wrenches when I read this stuff. I honestly think it's a combination of our standards plummeting and people being seduced by the idea of local youth.

All the young players discussed will end up in this division, or much lower.

UTB

Let's find out shall we. I had a bet on Long last season being number one and was laughed out of town. I think after Scougall, Reed might be the success of this season.

Without wishing to be provocative, what difference does the fact you say "I won't" make?

Seriously, nor will I, but we are not the ones throwing our cash at the problem or making any decisions which affect anything whatsoever!

Win/win. Lose/lose, yes it's their money to lose.

It's our emotional well-being, of course it is, but it's their's too.

I haven't got a clue what you're rambling on about.

Back
Top Bottom