Brayford and the case for 3:5:2

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DronnieBlade

Only in S2 !
Reaction score
With Brayford & Harris both strong wing backs, and with fans (and to some extent management) increasingly keen on 2 up top, is there a case for this formation ?

Hasn't done Briistol much harm has it !

UTB

PS. Doyle (M that is) would be a vtal part.of this formation due to his ability to plug defensive gaps.

Thoughts .......

Who would your back three be?

I like 3-5-2, I introduced it to our school house 2nd X1 when I was captain in about 1967. We were never beaten and scored a shed load of goals :D

I think the problem with 3-5-2 with our squad is where would you put Murphy in the team?

Who would your back three be?

I like 3-5-2, I introduced it to our school house 2nd X1 when I was captain in about 1967. We were never beaten and scored a shed load of goals :D
Good question.

Bash, J Mac and Harry Maguire preferably !!

I think we do have options in the existing squad beyond the current 2 CBs to do this e.g Magahey but it might need a new body (loan) to make it really work.

Also makes us a bit narrow (obviously) but, like you, feel this is a very offensive formation that leads to creating many goal scoring opportunities. Million dollar question is would we leak more goals ???

Answers on a postcard !

UTB

We started with 3-5-2 at Preston and it didn't work. Not to say it wouldn't work with Brayford but Harris is more of an orthodox left back. It could work with him though.

Problem I see is that the back three - basham - McEveley - Kennedy haven't played this yet and I don't think now is the time for trialling new systems

I think the problem with 3-5-2 with our squad is where would you put Murphy in the team?

Left Mid in the "midfield" 3.

Would drift out wide at every opportunity.

Howard

JMac Bash Magahey?
Beard Flynn Doyle Murph Harris
Perm best 2 from ?????

Just think this is so much more flexible than most other formations.

During match, if we are getting raped in wide positions, simply push Bash in to Cm and go to a 4:4:2.

Are you reading this Nige ;)

UTB

It has worked for teams like Bristol City with good attacking wing backs but it minimises the need for good wingers, taking JCR and Murphy out of the game

We didn't need to play 3-5-2 with Brayford & Harris last season and there is no reason this either.

The reason why it worked, is the other side spends that much time playing deep, you can actually get away with 2 centres backs marking no one.

Nothing wrong with 4-4-2, you just need the right players who are intelligent and can adjust during a game.

UTB

PS: I do actually like 3-5-2 btw

Then only problem is, as seen with Man U, it takes a while to adapt to a completely new formation like this which we really don't have the time to do this season. Could be worth a look at at the season end, although i hope we won't have Doyle next season so would have to find someone else to do the CDM. Coutts could be a possibility for the position, or even the right CB with Bash and JMac.

All very good and sensible replies thus far.

I guess the suggestion is born of a desire nay need to adopt a more offensive policy for the remainder of the season.

Twist or stick you might say !!

UTB

With Bob Harris being more of an orthadox LB I think Ben Davies would be perfectly suited to it. He was a good wingback when he was playing there early last year.

I like 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 - bloody loved it under Spackman.

But, with our current players, I don't think it's even a thought. Not enough strikers, not enough central defender, too many good wide players.

With Bob Harris being more of an orthadox LB I think Ben Davies would be perfectly suited to it. He was a good wingback when he was playing there early last year.

Sadly I thought Davies wasn't up to the formation last week. Not mobile and fast enough really

First time back, after a long break for Davies. You didn't really expect him up to speed did you Swiss?

:)We've signed another midfielder today so how about 3-6-1. In the back 3 we could play Flynn and Davies and Baxter up front so that would help us to play 9 midfielders and we could bring on another 3 from the bench. Even that would leave a couple of players disappointed at not getting a game!! WTF?:confused:

both cox (remember him) and mceveley, have played left back and centre back so I think a back 3 of them either side of a stopper could work well.

I think because our attacking play this season is mainly coming from the wingers I can't see why signing brayford would mean unbalancing the team. Signing brayford could help jam because he picks the ball up with his back to goal so often but with brayford bombing forward it would hopefully stop full backs marking as tight to him x

Playing 3-5-2

The team should be

Howard

Brayford. Bash. Jay Mac
Baxter
Flynn. Coutts. Scougs. Murphy

Sparky. An other

Reed to come in for baxter as necessary,
Doyle to go
Holt no idea how good he is
Flo / jam to come in for flynn as required
Higdon to Chesterfield
Bradshaw or doyle to be an other
Kennedy as replacement for bray or bash ( in this formation )
Freeman to cover murphy or jay Mac
Adams to cover sparky

There u have it championship manager made easy

Playing 3-5-2

The team should be

Howard

Brayford. Bash. Jay Mac
Baxter
Flynn. Coutts. Scougs. Murphy

Sparky. An other

Reed to come in for baxter as necessary,
Doyle to go
Holt no idea how good he is
Flo / jam to come in for flynn as required
Higdon to Chesterfield
Bradshaw or doyle to be an other
Kennedy as replacement for bray or bash ( in this formation )
Freeman to cover murphy or jay Mac
Adams to cover sparky

There u have it championship manager made easy

I take it you have Baxter as your holding D C M player in this formation ?

The most important role in a 3:5:2 formation ?

The one thats gotta fill the gaps across the ENTIRE back line when things go wrong ?

Wanna try again ???

UTB

No reason to try again as the back three should be capable of withstanding anything that gets past Scougal and Coutts, leaving baxter to dictate things from the back. You know the position that he played so well after doyle went off against Spurs, you arrogant xxxx

It's a forum for debate, not point scoring

Last edited:
Anybody watching Bournemouth tonight will have seen our old player Simon Francis overlapping the right midfielder on EVERY attack and rarely getting picked up.

No reason to try again as the back three should be capable of withstanding anything that gets past Scougal and Coutts, leaving baxter to dictate things from the back. You know the position that he played so well after doyle went off against Spurs, you arrogant xxxx

Your right.

I apologise.

I should stick to making Championship Manager look easy and leave the technical stuff to you pal ;)

UTB

With no respect at all, if you having nothing other than snide remarks to add go xxxx yourself, after all it may be something worthwhile to do with your imagination.

Did u not go to the game on Wednesday, did you not notice that to dominate and score goals we gave to be on the front foot, doyle sweeping across the back line does not enable us to do that.

Last edited:
To be honest I wouldn't be against JCR having another stint upfront as CF or playing off the main. He's decent in front of goal and can always break off into that right channel

I wonder if Clough might consider starting with Che Adams. He'll be all fired up and eager.

And Preston

I wonder if Clough might consider starting with Che Adams. He'll be all fired up and eager.

I'd start with the format that finished against Spurs with Brayford coming in for Flynn.

We will see how negative Nigel can be with his team.

Back
Top Bottom