Bournemouth..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Putney Blade

Reaction score
Good luck to them.

Fast, attacking, incisive. mobile. Good characteristics for a football team. And inspirational manager...

Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Southampton all nearly went out of business and quickly won promotion.

Might be worth a try?

UTB

Echo Putney's thoughts. I like Wilson, think we should have tried harder to sign him, but the whole squad seem more than capable of performing to a level and it's brought them promotion.

The step up will prove a tough test. Doing well in the Championship is one thing, but once you dip your toe into Prem waters you can get found out unless you've been prepared to invest wisely, and even then consolidation is an achievement in itself. However, Eddie Howe strikes me as a realistic manager who'll know what to expect, so I hope his benefactor is prepared to dig deep for the funds Howe will need.

I was watching the Bournemouth match last night and couldn't help thinking how mardy our fans would've got when it was 0-0 after 30mins.

They were passing Bolton to death but Bolton were standing tall.

Then, they got the 1st goal. The noise lifted immensely and they scored again straight after.

Apparently fans don't make a difference :rolleyes:

Good luck to them.

Fast, attacking, incisive. mobile. Good characteristics for a football team. And inspirational manager...

Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Southampton all nearly went out of business and quickly won promotion.

Might be worth a try?

UTB
All have also had complete changes of ownership. Just saying.

Well done Bournemouth to our fans are cunts in five replies!

Good effort ladies and gentlemen but let's tighten it up and see if we can do it in three or fewer!

In all seriousness, yes they've had a lot of money put in but you've got to admire what they've done. I think Howe is some sort of wizard. Or he's been blessed by the same wizard who has turned Harry Kane into a living comic book character this year.

I remember when we beat them 5-3 at the Lane just before they got good. I thought they were really shit and started backing against them every week for a while. So I think it's fair to say the transformation was mostly down to me, I can change a team's fortune completely in just one or two bets.

I was watching the Bournemouth match last night and couldn't help thinking how mardy our fans would've got when it was 0-0 after 30mins.

They were passing Bolton to death but Bolton were standing tall.

Then, they got the 1st goal. The noise lifted immensely and they scored again straight after.

This is utter shite and yet another cheap pop at our fans. I watched the game myself and in that first 30 minutes they missed 3 sitters and had loads of quick high tempo attacks, now if that was our side our fans would be in dreamland like Bournemouth and cherish every footballing moment. We have played nothing like Bournemouth this season and that's why they have gone up automatic and we are in the playoffs in a distinctly weaker league.

This is utter shite and yet another cheap pop at our fans. I watched the game myself and in that first 30 minutes they missed 3 sitters and had loads of quick high tempo attacks, now if that was our side our fans would be in dreamland like Bournemouth and cherish every footballing moment. We have played nothing like Bournemouth this season and that's why they have gone up automatic and we are in the playoffs in a distinctly weaker league.

It's true though. Our fans are cunts, shits arses and cunts some more. How fucking DARE we imagine we should expect us to get out of this league after five odd attempts. Bad us. We should lower our expectations and sing louder.

Oh, and ...

Just in case anyone missed that ...

I have just taken ownership of the updated Blades history book. It's a magnificent read. As I turn the page through the triumph and disappointment of the 1970s, it is clear with hindsight to see where the problem lay - over ambition with the South Stand, revenue streams suddenly running dry, aging players. You get the same feeling about the disasterous slide during the eighties and the resurgence in the Bassett era, even with Sam Hashemi and all that cuntery.

I wonder what will be written about the McCabe era?

pommpey

It's true though. Our fans are cunts, shits arses and cunts some more. How fucking DARE we imagine we should expect us to get out of this league after five odd attempts. Bad us. We should lower our expectations and sing louder.

Oh, and ...

Just in case anyone missed that ...

I have just taken ownership of the updated Blades history book. It's a magnificent read. As I turn the page through the triumph and disappointment of the 1970s, it is clear with hindsight to see where the problem lay - over ambition with the South Stand, revenue streams suddenly running dry, aging players. You get the same feeling about the disasterous slide during the eighties and the resurgence in the Bassett era, even with Sam Hashemi and all that cuntery.

I wonder what will be written about the McCabe era?

pommpey

Let it all out mate, let it all out

So, just to re-cap. The noise lifted AFTER they scored. Wow, fucking amazing fans they are then.

Just remind me, when was the last time we played at home, needing to win to secure automatic, and the fans were cunts?

Bournemouth, as well as looking impressive on the night, clearly have something else we dont have ..............

The nucleus of the Team for next Season, I would imagine Howe wont be that busy over the summer.

Whereas we will be in need of a huge rebuild whether or not we go up .... 5 year plan was it, start a fuckin again more like

Nigel will be spending a lot of time on www.crocks.co.uk .................... buying of course

Wow Grecian2000 and wow pommpey. So I say that our fans would be grumbling at 0-0 because we haven't broken a team down and yet apparently i've called us all cunts? Have a word with yourselves boys.

There's twisting words and there's twisting words.

People have been debating on this forum about the effect fans have on the game. Some have said that fans can't and don't make a difference. That is bollocks.

Bournemouth last night were all over Bolton but had struggled to break them down. If that was SUFC at present, the fans would be groaning galore. It has a negative effect on the players, it has to.

Then, Bournemouth scored and the roof lifted off. The fans were very loud. (there's less than 12000 of them), but, they were loud. This clearly lifted the team further and they went up and scored again straight after.

Back on to SUFC...

We were playing Tottenham in the cup at Bramall Lane. We were losing 1-0 at home to a fantastic free kick. Sections of the crowd were grumbling because we were out of the game pretty much. Then Adams popped up with a goal. The whole place lifted. As loud as i've heard Bramall Lane for years. We go straight up and score again. The volume lifts even more. Then, Louis Reed goes up and nearly wins the game for us. The fans played a massive part in what happened that night.

I visited Bramall Lane with a Man Utd and a Tottenham fan before on separate occasions and both said the same - they had never witnessed a ground where when the home team scores, everybody jumps up cheers, then sit back down and go back to being fairly quiet. After they said that, I noticed it myself. It's only if we are playing a local rival, a team we shouldn't be beating (the cup games) or a team that we need to beat i.e. a 6pt er that the volume is loud for prolonged periods.

If by saying the above that means that our fans are cunts. Fair enough

We were playing Tottenham in the cup at Bramall Lane. We were losing 1-0 at home to a fantastic free kick. Sections of the crowd were grumbling because we were out of the game pretty much. Then Adams popped up with a goal. The whole place lifted. As loud as i've heard Bramall Lane for years. We go straight up and score again. The volume lifts even more. Then, Louis Reed goes up and nearly wins the game for us. The fans played a massive part in what happened that night.

But you can't have it both ways. If we were grumbling instead of lifting the roof how did we manage to equalise at all?

Wish I could be arsed to trawl through last night's shout box and copy my shouts re how B'Mouth were so slick and forward thinking.
Probably can't get at them now even if I looked at the full screen version. Needless to say they play a brand of football that we would all have to change our underpants for (lasses too). It's miles away from the turgid, boring, slow paced, fear ridden, low quality, crab like filth we get dished up when we play a mid table, no hoper team and we need to win the game.

Wow Grecian2000 and wow pommpey. So I say that our fans would be grumbling at 0-0 because we haven't broken a team down and yet apparently i've called us all cunts? Have a word with yourselves boys.

There's twisting words and there's twisting words.

People have been debating on this forum about the effect fans have on the game. Some have said that fans can't and don't make a difference. That is bollocks.

Bournemouth last night were all over Bolton but had struggled to break them down. If that was SUFC at present, the fans would be groaning galore. It has a negative effect on the players, it has to.

Then, Bournemouth scored and the roof lifted off. The fans were very loud. (there's less than 12000 of them), but, they were loud. This clearly lifted the team further and they went up and scored again straight after.

Back on to SUFC...

I visited Bramall Lane with a Man Utd and a Tottenham fan before on separate occasions and both said the same - they had never witnessed a ground where when the home team scores, everybody jumps up cheers, then sit back down and go back to being fairly quiet. After they said that, I noticed it myself. It's only if we are playing a local rival, a team we shouldn't be beating (the cup games) or a team that we need to beat i.e. a 6pt er that the volume is loud for prolonged periods.

If by saying the above that means that our fans are cunts. Fair enough
Well said.

We can't be that bad
Speaking with RAC-1, Pochettino was asked about the best atmosphere he had experienced in his time in England - and nominated the Blades.

"They are a historic club currently in the third tier and for a Cup game there were 35,000 people in the stadium.

"So it’s that not Old Trafford, or Stamford Bridge or the Emirates that stands out," he said.

One thing I always notice down there is how good the pitch is. It must help their new style of football and hopefully its at least one thing we'll have in common next season.

Aren't they the club who have managed to score more against themselves when playing us than we have? The two "og"s in the 2011/12 season down there were particularly memorable, both from hard low crosses iirc. I'll never understand why a team as vertically challenged as ours doesn't employ that tactic more.

Six years ago Bournemouth were here
21084_996609747018563_5570770088374621781_n.jpg

Given time,,, shows what can be achieved with steady progress and joined up thinking . didnt win every game 4-0 in first season just stability and team work to start with , now playing good football after building the foundations

notice brentford won league that year theyve built up steadily too. with less money

Six years ago Bournemouth were here
View attachment 11498

Given time,,, shows what can be achieved with steady progress and joined up thinking . didnt win every game 4-0 in first season just stability and team work to start with , now playing good football after building the foundations

notice brentford won league that year theyve built up steadily too. with less money
Don't forget about their 17 point deduction that year aswell, in theory they would have been 10th instead of 21st. Also have a look at Rotherham, they finished 14th that season but would have been 5th without their 17 point deduction both in league 2, both been in administration and both clubs have gone past us after administration with crowds not even at 10,000 (apart from Bournemouth this year) , this really does show how far we have fallen as a club in recent seasons. There's only one thing that has stayed strong and that's our superb and loyal fanbase that turn out weak in weak out to watch some players that don't even deserve to wear them red and white stripes.

So, given time and good decisions, Bournemouth, Brentford and Rotherham have shown how it should be done, now the question is how much time do we actually have to give before other small clubs such as Bournemouth, Brentford and Rotherham go past us?

Don't forget about their 17 point deduction that year aswell, in theory they would have been 10th instead of 21st. Also have a look at Rotherham, they finished 14th that season but would have been 5th without their 17 point deduction both in league 2, both been in administration and both clubs have gone past us after administration with crowds not even at 10,000 (apart from Bournemouth this year) , this really does show how far we have fallen as a club in recent seasons. There's only one thing that has stayed strong and that's our superb and loyal fanbase that turn out weak in weak out to watch some players that don't even deserve to wear them red and white stripes.

So, given time and good decisions, Bournemouth, Brentford and Rotherham have shown how it should be done, now the question is how much time do we actually have to give before other small clubs such as Bournemouth, Brentford and Rotherham go past us?
Forget about us Blades for the moment and look around Bournemouth and those teams. How many of those teams around them back then are now down in the conference or floating around the bottom end of league two? How many of them have struggled, but managed to play by the rules and not entered administration to clear the decks, how many couldn't afford to take the risk of a points deduction, struggled on but still ended up going down to the conference anyway?

I wonder if they'll be congratulating Bournemouth...

Perhaps it all shows that the punishment for administration isn't really that severe or a deterrent?

Perhaps it all shows that the punishment for administration isn't really that severe or a deterrent?
Totally agree Swizzler, i was also meaning to imply that although they have gone past us they shouldn't really have had the chance to all things said and done, not in the timescale it's been achieved in anyway.

Echo Putney's thoughts. I like Wilson, think we should have tried harder to sign him, but the whole squad seem more than capable of performing to a level and it's brought them promotion.

The step up will prove a tough test. Doing well in the Championship is one thing, but once you dip your toe into Prem waters you can get found out unless you've been prepared to invest wisely, and even then consolidation is an achievement in itself. However, Eddie Howe strikes me as a realistic manager who'll know what to expect, so I hope his benefactor is prepared to dig deep for the funds Howe will need.

Can't see any one having to dig deep at Bournemouth, this seasons budget was £5M, promotion will net £100M.

Totally agree Swizzler, i was also meaning to imply that although they have gone past us they shouldn't really have had the chance to all things said and done, not in the timescale it's been achieved in anyway.
The football league seems to work in cycles, so I don't have an issue with teams leap frogging us, well I do, but it's the way things go... But I'd rather teams weren't praised so much for bringing in a rich new owner after clearing the debts by forcing the creditors to write those debts off...

If we do have to bring ourselves into this, then in brief, we found ourselves in a position where we were out of money (forget the arguments about spending for a moment), we had to cutback and comply with financial fair play - cutting spending and getting expensive assets off the books during this time - basically to ensure we were playing within the rules... And then teams like Bournemouth and many others benefit from their admin period.

Makes you wonder if it's worth staying out of admin at times.

Fortunately McCabe found the prince and were able to turn things around again.... Albeit slowly

Back
Top Bottom