Blades visits to unusual grounds...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Alfreton14Blade

Reaction score
Was thinking the other day ( no idea why?!) about clubs who had had temporary moves to other grounds, either while their own ground was being renovated or after they had become "homeless" & they were inbetween permanent grounds. And this got me on to thinking about which of these clubs United had played while they were in their temporary homes?

There are three I can remember having visited:
  • Bradford - during the time they played at Odsal, following the tragedy of the fire.
  • Bristol Rovers - when they were playing at Twerton Park, Bath (after moving out of Eastville, in the years before the moved to the Memorial Ground)
  • Charlton - at Upton Park, during the time they were away from of the Valley
My memory's appalling at the best of times, & I can't remember the result of any of the three games in question (I just saw United once at each of the three grounds - not sure if we played at any of them more than just the once?) - 2-0 loss to Charlton? 1-1 v Bristol Rovers? no recollection at all v Bradford.

Just wondered if others had seen United play at any other clubs' temporary grounds? Off the top of my head, I remember Brighton (Withdean) & Wimbledon (Selhurst Park) having played home games at unusual homes, but not sure if we played them there? Probably many other temporarily homeless clubs too.

Also - anyone remember any details about the above three games (&/or know if we played more than just the one game each in those particular temporary homes)?

Last edited:

I'm sure Darren may be better at this than me but we played Bradford City in the season after the fire at Elland Road and won 4-1 - Bradford has started to play some games at Odsal but no that one. I think we played them the following season at Odsal when security of the site was better was drew 1-1.

I think they did play a game against Leeds at Odsal where the Leeds fans very tastefully started a fire in the stand.

Was thinking the other day ( no idea why?!) about clubs who had had temporary moves to other grounds, either while their own ground was being renovated or after they had become "homeless" & they were inbetween permanent grounds. And this got me on to thinking about which of these clubs United had played while they were in their temporary homes?

There are three I can remember having visited:
  • Bradford - during the time they played at Odsal, following the tragedy of the fire.
  • Bristol Rovers - when they were playing at Twerton Park, Bath (after moving out of Eastville, in the years before the moved to the Memorial Ground)
  • Charlton - at Upton Park, during the time they were away from of the Valley
My memory's appalling at the best of times, & I can't remember the result of any of the three games in question (I just saw United once at each of the three grounds - not sure if we played at any of them more than just the once?) - 2-0 loss to Charlton? 1-1 v Bristol Rovers? no recollection at all v Bradford.

Just wondered if others had seen United play at any other clubs' temporary grounds? Off the top of my head, I remember Brighton (Withdean) & Wimbledon (Selhurst Park) having played home games at unusual homes, but not sure if we played them there? Probably many other temporarily homeless clubs too.

Also - anyone remember any details about the above three games (&/or know if we played more than just the one game each in those particular temporary homes)?

We drew 0-0 at Upton Park in the cup vs Charlton in 1992. Dull game. We lost 2-0 at Selhurst in 1985-6.

Another odd one is our 2-1 victory over Wimbledon at the National Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes in 2003. We sat on crappy temporary seats. Ashley Ward scored so it was a rare occasion indeed.

Think we played Wimbledon at Selhurst towards the end of that season (and lost badly).
More recently - Coventry at Sixfields.

We did, 3-0 on the last day. But we played them a number of times at Selhurst.

We've played 3 teams at Selhurst as the away team in league games. That may be unique, though there are other grounds where we've played more than 2 teams for various reasons (Maine Road and Hillborough are 2 such grounds). We've played Leeds United and Bradford City in league games at Elland Road as the away team, and also played Leeds City there, but that was in unofficial wartime games.

Last edited:
Didn't we play Bradford away at Elland Road too?

I went and remember we won something like 4-1. Remember Peter Withe scoring a header.

Just noticed the last post mentions us playing Bradford in Leeds.

Played MK Dons at that National Hockey stadium before their current shithole was built.

Think I've been to most of the games mentioned in the thread - Bradford at Elland Road 1985, won 4-1 and at Odsal the season after, a week or two after Leeds had played there and their fans had set fire to the burger van, no refreshments for Blades fans that day, drew 1-1. Charlton at Selhurst Parkin '85, lost 0-2, kicked off after the game behind their main stand and 0-0 against them at Upton Park in the FA Cup in '92. Bristol Rovers at Bath's ground in 1989, sister's 18th night before at Intake Club, on the bus to Bristol went from pissed, to seriously hungover. Played them in a friendly in '02 at the Hand Stadium (in front of a record crowd for the ground), Clevedon, drew 0-0.

Seen United at Sixfields v Coventry when Morgs was temp manager, at Withdean v Brighton in 2004, drew 1-1, went on the train and thanks to BR missed last train back to Sheff from London, got um to pay for a taxi from Derby to Handsworth. And v Wimbledon at National Hockey ground.

Another one on this theme v Rotherham at Don Valley in the JPT, probably nearest United away game I've been too.

Selhurst Parkin? Sounds Iike a 1930's centre half.

I suppose you could throw Rotherham into the mix too - when we played them at DVS in the cup.

We were drawn away to Burscough in the FA Cup 1st round of the 1979-80 season but Burscough preferred the tie to be played at our ground

I remember going to Upton park and not feeling threatened for once ,when we played Charlton ,also the games at odsal and palace to play wimbledon.

Back
Top Bottom