Blades v Spurs - Tactical Preview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nham-tactical-preview-of-capital-one-cup-game

I don't think much of his possible team changes (Diego and McGahey for Murphy and Reed!?)
However, the tactical analysis is quite interesting and accurate.
At least it makes a change from the usual "Sheffield United are a big, strong side who will battle hard and look to score from a set-piece" (sic)

Personally, I think we will see Baxter for Reed as the only change to the starting line up.
Otherwise I can't see why Reed would have started on Saturday instead of being rested.
We can still apply the same tactics but Baxter is more likely to produce something out of nothing.

Murphy and JCR may switch wings at some point if they're getting no joy.
I'd love to see Murphy given the sort of room that Davies gave JCR in the first leg!

1-0 to the Blades at full time and we'll look to take it to penalties or catch them on the break.

I'd love to see Murphy given the sort of room that Davies gave JCR in the first leg!

For a period in the 2nd half of the first leg when JCR had faded out of the game somewhat I was hoping they might have done this. Hopefully if the opportunity arises on Tuesday this may happen.

They are misinformed. Hugo has a knee injury. Nothing crucial but Vorm plays.

I know Vorm is playing. But that team news is from Spurs official twitter so i am assuming it is correct that everyone is fit.

Nacer Chadli returned to training today (Tuesday, January 27) but will not feature after taking time out following a family bereavement.
“Nacer won't be available, we need to analyse his situation after 10 days away,” said Mauricio ahead of Tuesday’s training session. “Everyone else is okay and we will decide the squad after training.
Nabil Bentaleb remains on African Cup of Nations duty with Algeria.

Nacer Chadli returned to training today (Tuesday, January 27) but will not feature after taking time out following a family bereavement.
“Nacer won't be available, we need to analyse his situation after 10 days away,” said Mauricio ahead of Tuesday’s training session. “Everyone else is okay and we will decide the squad after training.
Nabil Bentaleb remains on African Cup of Nations duty with Algeria.

I actually hope you have a full squad available for your manager to choose from. This is a one off game - 90/120 minutes winner takes all and as we are not premier league, there is going to be lots of doubt (for Spurs) as to how SUFC will approach the game.

So what does he do? Same team as last week - well you struggled to break us down. Does he think we will play 10/20 yards further up the field with us being at home? Perhaps, giving Erikson room between our lines. Does he try and not lose the game? - dangerous tactics as you only lead 1 nil.
For me (and I went to WHL) we had more chances than I thought we would get, so at home I expect more. Have heard it said that your crowd (5,500) will be noisy - our kop is full (10,400) and will be very noisy too and we will make a difference. If it is 0-0 at HT, then we will come at you if we are playing towards our kop. If you score in 1st half - it's probably game over. We will sit back for 45 minutes and play just like last week and try and nick a goal up to half time. If it's 0-0 with 20 mins to go, I expect Higdon on and we start launching balls at your centre halves as I believe your plan then would be to drop off and to have is to hold and to break with Kane/Erikson.

All in all, some interesting dilemas - makes for an interesting game.

UTB

True, but Vorm is a good GK. Sat was his first real mistake this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nham-tactical-preview-of-capital-one-cup-game

I don't think much of his possible team changes (Diego and McGahey for Murphy and Reed!?)
At least it makes a change from the usual "Sheffield United are a big, strong side who will battle hard and look to score from a set-piece" (sic)

Personally, I think we will see Baxter for Reed as the only change to the starting line up.
Otherwise I can't see why Reed would have started on Saturday instead of being rested.
We can still apply the same tactics but Baxter is more likely to produce something out of nothing.

1-0 to the Blades at full time and we'll look to take it to penalties or catch them on the break.
Good read,but they say only Howard started the Spurs and Preston games,never mind:rolleyes::)

"aesthetically striking full-back"

nice.

He's hardly played has he?

Played all (or almost all) of the cup games. 8 Europa, 4 League cup & 3 FA cups. Something along those lines.

Just checked, played 9 full matches so far this season.

Played all (or almost all) of the cup games. 8 Europa, 4 League cup & 3 FA cups. Something along those lines.

another boo boo like Leicesters 2nd goal on Saturday would go down very nice for us Blades on Wednesday evening round about 9.28pm with us already leading 1 nil............................yep, the sort of things you see in Carling beer adverts :)

UTB

Just checked, played 9 full matches so far this season.
He's only played 2 Europa league games,Lloris has played the rest.

Yeah, i was wrong, i thought he had played more Europa games than that. Still, i hardly think he is a 'weak link' because of one error.
It will all come out in the wash.

Yeah, i was wrong, i thought he had played more Europa games than that. Still, i hardly think he is a 'weak link' because of one error.
It will all come out in the wash.
Re-read my first post mate,all i said was Hugo is a lot better than Vorm,if that's incorrect then sorry.I'll take up synchronised swimming or something,us lower league mortals know nothing:rolleyes:

Re-read my first post mate,all i said was Hugo is a lot better than Vorm,if that's incorrect then sorry.I'll take up synchronised swimming or something,us lower league mortals know nothing:rolleyes:

Cant argue with that.

We'll be very defencive from the start Obviously, the key is not to concede. If we can get through the first 20 minutes or so and it's still 0-0 we'll start to feel more confident. If we go behind, the tactics will need to change big time.

He's got our formation wrong. This is how we play(ed):

Team%20vs%20Spurs.jpg

We'll be very defencive from the start Obviously, the key is not to concede. If we can get through the first 20 minutes or so and it's still 0-0 we'll start to feel more confident. If we go behind, the tactics will need to change big time.

I don't expect this. I expect a frantic first 20 where we get forward as much as possible and destroy them

Back
Top Bottom