Blades v Bolton Cup Head to Head

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coaxingstar71

First 10 yards are in the head
Reaction score
upload_2016-12-2_13-8-43.png

There are a couple of interesting stories that are related to our past FA Cup games with Bolton.

Of course the first meeting with Bolton was one of our first forays in the FA Cup when we were a relatively new side and Bolton were an established top side. This remains our club record defeat of 0-13 - hopefully that will never be broken!

We beat them in 1902 and 1915 on our way to winning the cup in those years and in 1923 we were a whisker away from becoming one of sides to contest the first Wembley final (that of the famous 'white horse' and an estimated 120-200,000 crowd. We lost to them 1-0 in the semi-final that year.

We beat them unexpectedly in 2008 in the 4th round as a Championship side and they were in the Prem with a solitary David Carney* goal.

*I get mixed up with David Carney and David Cotterill, so apols if I've got it wrong (again!)

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-2_13-6-52.png
    upload_2016-12-2_13-6-52.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 2

View attachment 20959

There are a couple of interesting stories that are related to our past FA Cup games with Bolton.

Of course the first meeting with Bolton was one of our first forays in the FA Cup when we were a relatively new side and Bolton were an established top side. This remains our club record defeat of 0-13 - hopefully that will never be broken!

We beat them in 1902 and 1915 on our way to winning the cup in those years and in 1923 we were a whisker away from becoming one of sides to contest the first Wembley final (that of the famous 'white horse' and an estimated 120-200,000 crowd. We lost to them 1-0 in the semi-final that year.

We beat them unexpectedly in 2008 in the 4th round as a Championship side and they were in the Prem with a solitary David Carney* goal.

*I get mixed up with David Carney and David Cotterill, so apols if I've got it wrong (again!)

Yep, it was Carney, great though ball from Squinny on a bloody freezing day if memory serves. The game was a non-entity as far as I can remember, the only other thing I can vaguely recall was Luton Shelton missing a sitter from a few yards out.

One of Robbo's finest moments as Blades manager (sacked a month or so later).

Yep, it was Carney, great though ball from Squinny on a bloody freezing day if memory serves. The game was a non-entity as far as I can remember, the only other thing I can vaguely recall was Luton Shelton missing a sitter from a few yards out.

One of Robbo's finest moments as Blades manager (sacked a month or so later).

I'm bloody struggling to think of any chuffin' others :eek:

We played our FA cup final replay in 1901 at Bolton's Burnden Park. Shame about the score, but we won it the following season. I remember it as if it were yesterday.:D

Yes Maz, the famous "Pie Saturday", great memries!

The 1901 replay was apparently called "Pie Saturday" because after the first game which attracted an estimated 100-120,000, the organisers at Bolton prepared for another big crowd and caterers made thousands of pies. Unfortunately only 20,000 attended the replay which meant that thousands of pies were wasted.

The 1901 replay was apparently called "Pie Saturday" because after the first game which attracted an estimated 100-120,000, the organisers at Bolton prepared for another big crowd and caterers made thousands of pies. Unfortunately only 20,000 attended the replay which meant that thousands of pies were wasted.
I wonder who ate them...
upload_2016-12-2_14-48-32.jpeg

We played our FA cup final replay in 1901 at Bolton's Burnden Park. Shame about the score, but we won it the following season. I remember it as if it were yesterday.:D

But who can forget the fantastic sing song we had afterwards in the 'Frog n Fart' when we gave large to the Spuds fans afterwards who meekly shot away afterwards. A great piss up even if Fatty and Needham had a bad day at the office.

The Referee on Sunday is Lee Probert who missed the whole of last season thru a back injury.

The last game he reffed of ours was the Fa Cup replay against Preston which we lost 3-1..............good omen.

Back
Top Bottom