Big turn out on the cards from Saints fans.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
Just been reading that we have handed them another 800 tickets after they quickly snapped up the initial 2500.

Can't fault it all things said and done, they have a strong away following to Southampton through high and low. A long old journey but they again if it was away I'm sure we would take a nice following as well.

A bloody tough game this one but it would be bloody amazing to send that many fans home gutted! They will see it as an easy route into the semis.

Apparently the club are to give non season ticket holders a guaranteed home Semi Final ticket should they beat us as well which is more incentive for them to travel up.

Last edited:

They will see it as an easy route into the semis.

It is!

Have you seen them play - even on the TV?
They play with some things called "Striker" in a strange formation that allows them to score goals for fun by getting into scoring positions and applying a well judged and selected velocity to the football so that it results in it crossing the goal line between the posts and underneath the cross bar - all at the same time!
Then they repeat the same action - baffling it is.

It's radical but apparently it works

You don't get to be in second place in the Premier League after 11 games by not making game changing investment, don't yer know?

Only Chelsea and MancC have scored more goals in the Prem this season

I've a feeling we will get well and truly spanked on this one

Its about weather soton fancy a cup final, or a shot at the champions league,.I will be having a little tilt on united, possibly on pens, make no mistake though if they want it we'll get a battering.

Southampton forum seem to be paraphrasing comments on here on the saints web board so allow me to point one thing out.

So allow me to point one thing out.

"Apparently the club are to give non season ticket holders a guaranteed home Semi Final ticket should they beat us as well which is more incentive for them to travel up."

This was taken from your own board therefore if you have any doubts about whether it is true contact the person who posted it don't tell me I am making things up because I am just quoting what I read. The term "Apparently" means as far as one knows who can see. So stop stirring crap and look forward to your supposed easy ticket to the semi final ;).

Its about weather soton fancy a cup final, or a shot at the champions league,.I will be having a little tilt on united, possibly on pens, make no mistake though if they want it we'll get a battering.

Of course they will want it.

MancC started with this trophy - so did Chelski
It's their best chance of Silverware and if they continue the run in the Prem and get a top 4 slot then that will be a real bertie bonus for them.
Good club and decent fans
One of the best of the modern grounds that I've seen

It wasn't long ago Southampton were in our league and look where they are now. There is hope still of a return to the glory days.

In May 2010, less than five years ago, they failed in a first bid to return to the Championship. How many fans would have believed that they could rise to become one of the best teams in England, heading for a Champions League place this season.

Amazing achievement.

HH

It wasn't long ago Southampton were in our league and look where they are now. There is hope still of a return to the glory days.

In May 2010, less than five years ago, they failed in a first bid to return to the Championship. How many fans would have believed that they could rise to become one of the best teams in England, heading for a Champions League place this season.

Amazing achievement.

HH

The Southampton Double Promotion is a prime example of how a bit of ambition can deliver the goods. In theory they had a tougher time than us what with the being out of the top flight for seven years, then a greater fall from glory to league one and the administrators banging at the door however they went for it and ploughed some investment into the club. They bought the right players and a couple of 20+ goals a season strikers and they rightly got rewards for the effort.

I'm not saying Southampton aren't a good team, clearly that isn't the case, ................. but................

They have won 8 games this season in the league - but look who against: Leicester, Hull, Stoke, Sunderland, QPR, Swansea, Newcastle (when they were rubbish) & West Ham. Clearly all these teams are better than us - but Southampton's league position reflects their fixtures.

The two (usually!) stronger teams they have faced, Liverpool and Spurs, they have lost to. For completion they also drew against West Brom.

Also, five of the wins and the draw were at home, and they only average about a goal a game away from home.

You can prove anything with statistics! I still think we will lose though, but let's not get carried away with bigging them up!

UTB

Southamptons away followings were fucking shite until recent years. Always thought of them as a bit plastic in reality.

No doubt this will be a really appealing and relatively cheap trip for them, no I'd expect a good following.

Fair play for their recent success. They've shown a few medium sized clubs how it should be done.

UTB

I'm not saying Southampton aren't a good team, clearly that isn't the case, ................. but................

They have won 8 games this season in the league - but look who against: Leicester, Hull, Stoke, Sunderland, QPR, Swansea, Newcastle (when they were rubbish) & West Ham. Clearly all these teams are better than us - but Southampton's league position reflects their fixtures.

The two (usually!) stronger teams they have faced, Liverpool and Spurs, they have lost to. For completion they also drew against West Brom.

Also, five of the wins and the draw were at home, and they only average about a goal a game away from home.

You can prove anything with statistics! I still think we will lose though, but let's not get carried away with bigging them up!

UTB
Good post.I had this conversation with a mate after we drew them out and said exactly the same.Just to add to that,after Villa tonight,they have Man City,Arsenal,Man Utd then the unbeaten in 2 Burnley:D before they play us so they could be struggling by then with a bit of luck,plus no one likes to play us under the lights on a cup night,we can do it.

Well we've sold not many so far. I was surprised at how few. gives me a few more days to consider where to sit.

Southamptons away followings were fucking shite until recent years. Always thought of them as a bit plastic in reality.

UTB

In 1983/84, they played in S6 in a live televised Cup QF, on a Sunday afternoon. They had at least 12,000 up here that day. They could muster a decent following under the right circumstances. (Of course, the Wendies took about 150,000 down there for the replay.... which they of course lost 5-1).

(think we won at Exeter the day before....)

Have you seen them play - even on the TV?
They play with some things called "Striker" in a strange formation that allows them to score goals for fun by getting into scoring positions and applying a well judged and selected velocity to the football so that it results in it crossing the goal line between the posts and underneath the cross bar - all at the same time!

You mean that 4-2-3-1 formation? The same one we play? Yeah I've seen them play with Shane Long (a striker) either in the scougall position or out wide in Murphy or Flynn's position.. Yes I've seen them. Imagine that, a £12m striker who can't get to play upfront.

With Higdon and McNulty injured, who would you seriously play upfront? Porter? Or would you pin your hopes on Diego?

In 1983/84, they played in S6 in a live televised Cup QF, on a Sunday afternoon. They had at least 12,000 up here that day. They could muster a decent following under the right circumstances. (Of course, the Wendies took about 150,000 down there for the replay.... which they of course lost 5-1).

(think we won at Exeter the day before....)
But to be fair, taking big followings to these type of games when nobody turns up for the run of he mill stuff is the very definition of plasticness.

UTB

You mean that 4-2-3-1 formation? The same one we play? Yeah I've seen them play with Shane Long (a striker) either in the scougall position or out wide in Murphy or Flynn's position.. Yes I've seen them. Imagine that, a £12m striker who can't get to play upfront.

With Higdon and McNulty injured, who would you seriously play upfront? Porter? Or would you pin your hopes on Diego?

They still have Pelle playing as a conventional striker though. Also, even when Higdon and McNulty were both fit often neither of them started.

They still have Pelle playing as a conventional striker though. Also, even when Higdon and McNulty were both fit often neither of them started.

My main point was that he suggested they play a formation that creates goals. Its the same formation we and 80% of clubs play these days. 4-2-3-1 is the new 4-4-2

My main point was that he suggested they play a formation that creates goals. Its the same formation we and 80% of clubs play these days. 4-2-3-1 is the new 4-4-2

My main point wasn't about the formation it was that they play with strikers (plural), Pelle, Long, Mane, Mayuka and when fit, Rodriguez - in that formation whereas we play with a single creative midfielder in that role - even when our "strikers" are fit enough to warm the bench. If you look at the Saints team that played last night vs Villa both Long and Pelle started and played the full 90 (bar one minute for Long) and Mayuka came on in the last 20 (note not the last 4) BUT they kept the other two strikers on the pitch as the same time as opposed to swapping one for one.

So you see both I and DSB-91 made very valid points on this occasion ;)

And an other thing - they get into those scoring positions - because they deploy strikers in that formation who know what to do in those situations.

Let's not forget where Southampton were only four years ago. ... and what did they do in this division in their second season down there?
Yes, splash out on a striker (Ricky Lambert) who was instrumental in them gaining promotion with 92 points and 86 goals and winning the JPT final 4-1 in 2010-11. Lambert scored in the final and assisted the fourth for one Michail Antonio - Lallana got one of the others
In that season Lambert scored 21 goals and made 10 assists and he played 50 games (2 as sub)

There's some evidence in that lot to suggest that deploying decent strikers helps win matches and achieve something other than flirt with success.
Lee Barnard got 15 in that season as well - they often played as a pair. Ox and Lallana both got into double figures from midfield - probably on the back of being able to support two mobile and positive strikers who held the ball up.

But hey, I'm happy with Baxter on his own up front, aren't we all?

I thought though Saints played 2 strikers up front at Villa , they looked lethargic and flat for large chunks of the game against what is a mis firing Villa side.Villa were terrble up to their break away goal.

I was watching and thinking if we apply ourselves with enough vigour we can get amongst these, and they have a very harsh run of prem games coming up starting with man city so could be a lot more tired than we are on the night.

saints up coming fixtures
SUN 30 NOV
11148-3041.png

Man City 13:30H

WED 3 DEC
1006148-3526.png

Arsenal 19:45A
Date

MON 8 DEC
12148-3043.png

Man Utd 20:00H
Date

SAT 13 DEC
burnley113-34849148-3066.png

Burnley 15:00A
Date

TUE 16 DEC
37148-3105.png

Sheff Utd 19:45A

My main point wasn't about the formation it was that they play with strikers (plural), Pelle, Long, Mane, Mayuka and when fit, Rodriguez - in that formation whereas we play with a single creative midfielder in that role - even when our "strikers" are fit enough to warm the bench. If you look at the Saints team that played last night vs Villa both Long and Pelle started and played the full 90 (bar one minute for Long) and Mayuka came on in the last 20 (note not the last 4) BUT they kept the other two strikers on the pitch as the same time as opposed to swapping one for one.

So you see both I and DSB-91 made very valid points on this occasion ;)

Ok so they play with 3 strikers in a formation as follows:

GK
RB CB CB LB
CM CM
LONG AM MANE
PELLE
Does that mean that you would be happy to play this:

GK
RB CB CB LB
CM CM
MCNULTY AM HIGDON
PORTER​

You can't just lob strikers in for the sake of playing strikers.
McNulty has been tried on the right and isn't a great impact out there.

With what we currently have the best front 4 would be:
FLYNN BAXTER MURPHY
MCNULTY or HIGDON
And an other thing - they get into those scoring positions - because they deploy strikers in that formation who know what to do in those situations.

Do you watch our games with your eyes closed?

I think you've contradicted yourself.
We constantly get into scoring positions. The fact we don't have a natural striker is the reason that we aren't hammering teams. How many times does JCR, Murphy or Flynn flash them across the 6 yard line but nobody punishes the oppo?

Getting into the positions isn't the problem, it's converting the chances.
Baxter for example could've scored inside 30 seconds the other day. Murphy blazed one over the bar. Higdon would've put both of those away.

Ok so they play with 3 strikers in a formation as follows:

GK
RB CB CB LB
CM CM
LONG AM MANE
PELLE
Does that mean that you would be happy to play this:

GK
RB CB CB LB
CM CM
MCNULTY AM HIGDON
PORTER​

You can't just lob strikers in for the sake of playing strikers.
McNulty has been tried on the right and isn't a great impact out there.

With what we currently have the best front 4 would be:
FLYNN BAXTER MURPHY
MCNULTY or HIGDON​

No - because the quality is not there - but nor is it with just Baxter up there on his own.
I would like to see Higs and McNuts up there as a pair with the midfield providing decent service and crosses from the by line - not just in line with the front of the penalty area.
It seems that NC won't play with two up front though so if you only have one guy there he better be shit hot and be able to hold up play until the midfielders join in - the problem is that we just don't have the personnel to play that way, either.

This is not an NC bashing exercise - I really like the fact the Clough is the boss and he has brought some pride back into a complete shambles - it's just a constant confirmation that we are desperately short of any sustainable attacking threat from a proper striker. We can't keep relying on worldy goals such as the one Murph scored at Donny - we need more of the type of goal that McNuts gets in the six yard area or that Flynn got for the first vs Crewe in the cup - you remember the worldies but it's the bread and butter goals that get you promoted or win you the drab contest in an away fixture on a cold winter's night OR start off a goal rout in a home fixture - and boy do we need a couple of those types of games.

No doubt this will be a really appealing and relatively cheap trip for them, no I'd expect a good following.

Fair play for their recent success. They've shown a few medium sized clubs how it should be done.

UTB

Theyve also got decent money for any of the players they have sold from their academy.

What did we get for HM again? £1 mill in installments & maybe add ons?

No - because the quality is not there - but nor is it with just Baxter up there on his own.
I would like to see Higs and McNuts up there as a pair with the midfield providing decent service and crosses from the by line - not just in line with the front of the penalty area.
It seems that NC won't play with two up front though so if you only have one guy there he better be shit hot and be able to hold up play until the midfielders join in - the problem is that we just don't have the personnel to play that way, either.

This is not an NC bashing exercise - I really like the fact the Clough is the boss and he has brought some pride back into a complete shambles - it's just a constant confirmation that we are desperately short of any sustainable attacking threat from a proper striker. We can't keep relying on worldy goals such as the one Murph scored at Donny - we need more of the type of goal that McNuts gets in the six yard area or that Flynn got for the first vs Crewe in the cup - you remember the worldies but it's the bread and butter goals that get you promoted or win you the drab contest in an away fixture on a cold winter's night OR start off a goal rout in a home fixture - and boy do we need a couple of those types of games.

I think 4-2-3-1 is a much more attacking formation than 4-4-2.

4-4-2 is a dying formation and has been for a while. Even teams that play the formation these days play 4-4-1-1 (which could work for us and we have seen this season too).

Playing 4-2-3-1 is great when attacking and worked incredibly well for us particularly in last seasons FA Cup run. We had Flynn, Murphy, Baxter and Scougall running all over the place getting the defending team all confused. When it works, it works well.

When we are defending it is also extremely easy to revert to 4-5-1.

For the sake of arguments, i'll use the same set of players but here is how i see the various formations above.

4-2-3-1 (when on the ball)
Howard
Alcock Basham McEveley Harris
Doyle Wallace
Flynn Baxter Murphy
Higdon

4-5-1 (when defending)
Howard
Flynn Doyle Baxter Wallace Murphy
Higdon

4-4-1-1
Howard
Flynn Doyle Wallace Murphy
Baxter
Higdon
I personally think that going 4-4-2 would make us too flat and would restrict Murphy and Flynn (Murphy in particular) from attacking.

I think 4-2-3-1 is a much more attacking formation than 4-4-2.
I personally think that going 4-4-2 would make us too flat and would restrict Murphy and Flynn (Murphy in particular) from attacking.

No matter how you dress it up
4-4-1-1 is a 4-4-2
4-2-3-1 is 4-5-1

one config is the attacking mode and the other is the defensive shape - and that is what formations are for - the shape you get into when you don't have the ball.
However, it's all about players - If you don't have the quality you can't make any of them work effectively.
You will only score goals on a consistent basis if you have goal scorers in your team
It matters not whether you have a pattern of play to stick to or a fluid free for all - if you don't get into shooting positions and pull the trigger your chances of scoring are very low indeed.

It works like this - fuck Dusty Bin and his 3-2-1 bollocks

Create opportunities in the attacking third
Shoot
Shots on target
times the keeper is worked
GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!
Fucking Get In There!

Back
Top Bottom