Big, Strong, Manly...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Alfreton14Blade

Reaction score
Yep, that's us apparently. Just like Millwall and Bradford are, according to Tony Mowbray. And it looks like we're stymieing Mowbray's "Pathway for Youth" by being such brutal aggressors, too!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ony-mowbray-fears-throwing-coventry-11254741?

Fair representation? Or hangover from the past?
Or, indeed, are we "big and strong" enough, even now after Adkins's improvements in that regard?

We have an agressive edge that I would say you need in this Division. If his team can't handle that, tough.

We have an agressive edge that I would say you need in this Division. If his team can't handle that, tough.

Yeah, I think so too. Still think there's ground to be made in becoming even more aggressive though, although there have been been some welcome signs over recent weeks (home v Gillingham, not least).

Mowbray must have been keeping a close eye on us recently mind. Because if he'd seen some of the powderpuff displays from earlier in the season, & not seen anything of us since, the last thing he'd be calling us now would be "manly".

Yeah, I think so too. Still think there's ground to be made in becoming even more aggressive though, although there have been been some welcome signs over recent weeks (home v Gillingham, not least).

Mowbray must have been keeping a close eye on us recently mind. Because if he'd seen some of the powderpuff displays from earlier in the season, & not seen anything of us since, the last thing he'd be calling us now would be "manly".

I'd say we have "manned up" a bit since earlier in the season, when we were softer than a Petit Gateau. But there is plenty of work to be done yet. Is Adkins the man, the juries out for me, but this close season will give a fair indication of what lies ahead.

Yep, that's us apparently. Just like Millwall and Bradford are, according to Tony Mowbray. And it looks like we're stymieing Mowbray's "Pathway for Youth" by being such brutal aggressors, too!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ony-mowbray-fears-throwing-coventry-11254741?

Or, indeed, are we "big and strong" enough, even now after Adkins's improvements in that regard?[/QUOT

] mind games to con the referee in thinking we are a set of dirty bastards. Have both sides something serious to play for or is Mowbray on his way if Coventry lose.

mind games to con the referee in thinking we are a set of dirty bastards. Have both sides something serious to play for or is Mowbray on his way if Coventry lose

Heckingbottom tried exactly the same thing – Adkins picked up on that in his prematch interview last week by suggesting Barnsley were going to be looking for free-kicks as they had scored a lot from set-pieces.

We were particularly robust against Coventry. It was the match where mcleverly should have had a straight red for a wild lunge. They felt that we kicked then off the pitch. Plus there was the goal that wasn't given to them when the ball crossed the line. So there is a general air of grievance from then.

Man the fuck up I say.

Saw the thread title and expected to read a thread full of praise for me. Oh well.

Quite like the idea of an injury-hit Cov playing their kids and getting tonked 5-0 in our last away game of the season. Can't see it, though.

mind games to con the referee in thinking we are a set of dirty bastards. Have both sides something serious to play for or is Mowbray on his way if Coventry lose.

Very fair point. You'd think he'd be under a bit of serious pressure after their post-Christmas collapse. Their dramatic fall has mirrored Barnsley's rise.

Or maybe they'll stick with him, allow him to build, acknowledging their young team overachieved the first half of the season?

Must say that I'd entirely forgotten the home game v Cov, which do make his comments a bit more understandable.

Interesting btw to think back on that game, to the continuing disquiet about Billy from some quarters prior to then. Then Billy got the prized "goal in off his backside" (yeah, I'm exaggerating, I know...) & the rest is history...

Or, indeed, are we "big and strong" enough, even now after Adkins's improvements in that regard?

Isn't that code for 'we're kick lumps out of them?'

Id say this is one of the flimsiest, weak-willed set of wage-thieves our club has ever seen to be honest. The way we have been rolled over in some games this season has been nothing short of embarrassing. I'd have loved us to at least show a bit of aggression and fight this season but it's one thing (amongst many) we have certainly missed.

Id say this is one of the flimsiest, weak-willed set of wage-thieves our club has ever seen to be honest. The way we have been rolled over in some games this season has been nothing short of embarrassing. I'd have loved us to at least show a bit of aggression and fight this season but it's one thing (amongst many) we have certainly missed.
The side that started the season was a the side you describe, however the one ending it has certainly become more physical.

I assume that the side that starts the season in August will be bigger and more physical again.

Any team playing with three centre halves, three central midfielders and two centre forwards shouldn't be lacking in physicality, and we are physically OK at the minute in terms of size and aggression, although I'd like to have at least one more dominant header of the ball. We're still maintaining our League One tradition of having no pace though. That needs to be addressed but I won't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom